Hello Manjaro Forums!
I hope you are doing well!
I have a strange issue that I have run into.
I had purchased an used HP Z440 workstation for VFX studies. Below are some of the symptoms/problems pertaining to my issue
- Shutdown/Hibernate/Suspend/Restart will all restart my machine. Occasionally, Manjaro will actually shutdown my machine like I want it to.
- Power outages leave my ethernet permanently disconnected when I log in again. I checked this against my laptop which has Windows, and the same ethernet wire works fine.
- Restarts/Shudown/Suspend will leave my ethernet permanently disconnected. Only Hibernate will ‘restart’ my machine and make my ethernet work again
Here are some obervations
- My connection never drops in the middle of a session or otherwise. Only minor power outages or restarts are an issue.
- the network manager restart sudo command restarts the applet but doesn’t ‘power on’ ethernet.
- I’ve reset BIOS by removing my CMOS batter for 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I can’t access MEBx yet. I’m using the HP provided BIOS options and reset those to factory defaults.
- I did not find any option regarding LAN and power that I could change.
A really stupid obervation.
- If I physically plug out the ethernet wire and put it back in BEFORE the ethernet shows as disconnected in Manjaro, ethernet will continue to work.
- If I physically plug out the ethernet wire and put it back in AFTER the ethernet shows as disconnected, then it will remain disconnected. Restart/Shutdown/Suspend won’t help. Only hibernate will.
My ethernet controller is I218-LM from intel.
I’ll continue to search the forums and google for answers in the meanwhile. Any help in the meanwhile is hugely appreciated! Thank you!