My laptop keeps on freezing randomly

ok…

How can I do that? i am not a real expert i am relatively new to manjaro
Thank You

First just don’t do anything; I may be barking up a completely wrong tree here :slight_smile:

It’s otherwise not related to Manjaro; you’d enter your BIOS-setup by tapping e.g. the Del key, or F2 or F9, or … when the system starts up and then look around for anything suspicious. But for now just wait and see.

ohh ok, ok
Thank You!!
I`ll just wait and see

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Please switch to a supported kernel or LTS one, as the one you are using is EOL.

Might want to address that too, was covered multiple times on the forum.

Use at least a swapfile, or use zram-generator package from repositories.

Edit: Also, just saw that

LTS freezing was worse than with the one I am using right now.

What do you mean by this?

how can I do it?

Thank You Very Much

Because maybe you have to take care of the other things i mentioned too.

When both audio servers run, in some instances, on some systems things can start to choke. Happened on one of my installs. Here is how to avoid that, if that could be part of your issue.

Same as explained from here:

but you use the intel_pstate=active kernel parameter instead.

How can i boot with the kernel parameter?

Ok I get it… How can I uninstall pulseaudio?

There are two ways:

• on Grub boot menu you press the e key and then on the Linux Kernel Line, you add right after the quiet the intel_pstate=active and then press F10 to save it and continue booting. That is not a permanent entry
  • or permanent entry, by editing the file

but honestly, there is no point to repeat that …

You don’t. is required, but in order to not keep it active you simply install manjaro-pipewire and will do for you all is required. Just reboot after that to take effect.

ohh This I did already before your first post

You probably did it with the EOL kernel …

oh yes
now I am using the LTS kernel… do I need to redo it?

If you did it from GRUB menu, then yes, you lose that upon reboot.
If you did it on /etc/default/grub then updated grub, then you don’t have to do it again.

ok so I don’t have to do it again… I checked and it’s still there

Thank You Very Much!!
I have done all so far except swap…
To do so I just need to install zram-generator package from repositories?

You can, but if you now also add the by bogdancovaciu advised “intel_pstate=active” kernel parameter then you won’t know if it was that one or the earlier advised “intel_idle.max_cstate=0” parameter which you added before. It’s in that sense probably useful to test either in isolation – at the moment

cat /proc/cmdline

should be saying that you are running with “intel_idle.max_cstate=0”. If you let it run long enough to be satisfied that it’s now not freezing you’d have pinpointed it to that intel_idle driver.

I.e., again my advise is to for now sit back and do nothing until either the system freezes again or you’re satisfied that it won’t anymore.

is this correct, then?

[euki@euki ~]$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 root=UUID=846d6e8e-7a8e-4beb-94b0-3f6d858347d2 rw quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3 intel_idle.max_cstate=0

Yup. If the system’s now stable for long enough without rebooting it’ll be confirmed that it’s that c-state thing again. You can in that case keep things as they are, try “intel_idle.max_cstate=1” instead, or as mentioned try and rummage through your BIOS setup (I believe it’s by the way for your machine a matter of tapping F10 while it’s starting to get there) to see if there’s anything possibly related to set there.

But, then, for now please just do nothing :slight_smile:

ok… i did chage the audio settings and installed manjaro-pipewire
as a matter of fact the system is stable now