Manjaro XFCE flickering like crazy on Pi 4

Hi. I recently attempted to install Manjaro XFCE on my Pi 4. As soon as I booted up the system, it began flashing like crazy (even during the setup). I've never had a problem with XFCE in the past, so I'm a bit confused.

I was eventually able to get the flickering to stop by changing the refresh rate to 75HZ, but I had to do this with a 4:3 resolution (my monitor is 16:10 and 1440x900).

If these are of any use, here's some hardware info:
Monitor: HP w1907 1440x900 16:10 75HZ panel
Ports: Connected to monitor via HDMI to DVI adapter.

I've never had anything like this occur on any previous Linux distros, though I've only previously used Debian based stuff like Ubuntu and DietPi.
If anyone could assist me, I'd appreciate it.

Since you are getting flickering on the setup also the issue I believe points to your HDMI to DVI adapter combination. Here are a few things to try:

First, have only this in config.txt regarding the video lines. This is assuming you are plugged into hdmi port 0 (next to the power inlet on the pi board):

hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
config_hdmi_boost:0=7

If that doesn't work try this. The hdmi_group=2/hdmi_mode=48 combination is for 1440x900 75HZ from the raspberry pi config.txt docs but be aware not all combinations will work. This is assuming you are plugged into hdmi port 0 (next to the power inlet on the pi board):

hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
config_hdmi_boost:0=7
hdmi_mode:0=48
hdmi_group:0=2
hdmi_force_mode:0=1
hdmi_ignore_edid:0=0xa5000080

Good luck

I'd try a different compositor to see if that fixes things...

I was able to get the flickering to stop by changing the refresh rate to 75hz via the config.txt file. However, there's still a massive black bar on the left side of the display, and any resolution higher than 1024x768 will look stretched inward.

It still looks like 4:3 even though it says 1440x900.

Post your config.txt

The reasoning for that is the screen starts jittering if I set it to 1440x900. I set it to 1024x768 in the photo so that I'd be able to photograph it easier.

I do not know if it will help any but some times I have had to fiddle with settings in the monitor's set up.

I apologize for the late reply in advance.

Unfortunately, the monitor setting didn't change anything. The only useful setting (aspect ratio) did nothing even when I set it to change automatically.

The black bar on the screen is technically in use; notice the small glitchy patch in the bottom left corner? I initially thought I had damaged the screen, but booting Raspbian showed that it was fine.

If could be the mesa / V3D combination we have enabled by default. If you set all your configs back to default and install xf86-video-fbturbo-git it should be the same as raspian (as well as ubuntu and other distro's). Other than we have newer versions of programs used):

config.txt for framebuffer mode. You might try it with and with out the disable_overscan=1:

gpu_mem=256
initramfs initramfs-linux.img followkernel
kernel=kernel8.img
arm_64bit=1
disable_overscan=1

#enable sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=2

#enable vc4
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

Forum kindly sponsored by