Manjaro XFCE 20.0.3 - Persistent USB - released

There was always the demand of persistent USB-images. Since our manjaro-tools are not able to produce them, we looked for a different way. We found ALMA, which we modified to our needs. With it it is easy to create your personal persistent USB-images. Simply install alma-git from our unstable branch and checkout our presets.

pamac install alma-git

You may also follow our video tutorials:

Or simply download our USB-Image and flash it with Etcher. Username is manjaro, Password is manjaro.

DLOSDN
direct | sig | sha1

29 Likes

Yes! I'm going to give this a try ASAP. Thanks so much for this!

After burning the USB-Image to a stick with Etcher, I'm able to boot into XFCE, but I find that the user manjaro is not in the sudoers file, and I get and "Authentication error" when attempting to switch to root. I searched for a way to fix this but have hit a wall so far.

Thanks from Brazil!

I just flashed to my USB KingDian Portable SSD and tried on my notebook.

First, I changed to use mirrors from Brazil and cannot get the kernel update. So I reflashed and not touch the mirrors.

Second, I tried to change the keyboard to Brazilian ABNT2 and it not worked.

Again, thanks so much for provide this alternative to use Manjaro!

Also, pulseaudio is not connecting at boot.

I switched with ctrl+alt+f1 to a different login (guessed around and root/manjaro worked). Fixed the sudo and other things from there.

2 Likes

Hi,

In 2019 I built a persistent installation on an usb stick with your manjaro kde image flashed on an usb stick, the persistent usb is working well, I don't forget the update.
I only boot this persistent usb without any other os, disc.

Some issues may happen as we are on an early stage here. Fixes will be shared as we go along.

2 Likes

I'm pretty new with Manjaro xfce (2018) and to be honest I have had to mess much less with it than getting Mint xfce working to my liking. I tried this persistent USB and I had the issue with pulse audio not being able to access the server. The notifications area in the panel, I was not able to implement as it isn't intuitive to me which package would need to be installed as there is no hint in the panel add items area. I had guessed maybe xfce-goodies or something similar but was unable to find what was needed. To get the Trash icon on my desktop the gvfs install hint worked and after a reboot the Trash icon was on my desktop. I would have liked to add myself as administrator. No hardware was detected in Hardware Configuration. I changed kernel to 5.7.xx but that didn't fix the audio issue (feeble newbie attempt). Overall nice job. I am sure you guys will get this fixed up nicely soon. Thanks.

Nice, now I can test Manjaro on my MacBook Pro 13" (without touchbar) 2017, without erasing the drive :slightly_smiling_face: :tada:

I've had good luck configuring my new persistent stick, although I do have a lingering issue with a missing network icon on the panel. I understand that "notification area" should be added to the panel in order to show the network applet, but the "notification area" choice is grayed-out in the panel addon utility. Any ideas on how to get this going, so that I can access a wifi connection?

Don't know about the "notification area" but you can create the wifi network connection via nmcli. See examples here.

1 Like

We still have to add more packages to the profile to make it fully working. more or less it is an early example.

1 Like

It is a lot of hustle to get it to work on a mac :joy:

Hi @philm,

I tried it today and it works fine so far. But there are two important things missing in the *.toml files:

1. package network-manager-applet to configure wireless network
  2. the "wheel" settings in the sudoers file. Without that you can not enter a root shell. I solved it by adding:
script = """
set -eux
echo "%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL" > /etc/sudoers.d/99_wheel
"""

Thanks a lot, I always wanted to install Manjaro on a USB stick. :slight_smile:

But I have a problem. Yesterday I installed Manjaro XFCE Minimal and wanted to test ALMA.

I ran that command:

sudo alma create --image 15GiB almatest.img

Unfortunately, after a while I get this error message every time:

Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
 2020-07-08T08:28:44.038Z INFO  alma                       > Generating initramfs
/usr/bin/mkinitcpio: line 265: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Failed to load preset: `/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset'
 2020-07-08T08:28:44.443Z INFO  alma::storage::loop_device > Detaching loop device /dev/loop0
Error: Failed to run mkinitcpio - do you have the base and linux packages installed?

Caused by:
    Bad exit code: exit code: 1

I've already installed the basepackage. I have also looked for help online and reconfigured mkinitcpio, unfortunately without success.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Maybe you mixed up the alma from the AUR and the alma from @philm. You need to checkout alma git repo by @philm, build it and run this alma.

Thanks for the answer. I used the command pamac install alma-git and installed it from the aur.

Our package is only in testing and unstable branch. Get it from here:

pamac install https://manjaro.moson.eu/pool/overlay/alma-git-r111.5b2e5d7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

2 Likes

I will try. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by