Manjaro-Xfce 18.0 2nd beta build (testing)

xfce
18-0-beta

After such a lot of immediate and constructive feedback to last night’s beta-1 ISO, it seemed to be useful to provide yet another testbuild.

Here is manjaro-xfce 18.0-beta-2. This time you get a full profile where you will also be able to test the default software and see a beautiful (preliminary) selection of new backgrounds in the new manjaro-wallpapers-18.0 package.
The ISO uses testing branch and incorporates quite a lot of small recent adjustments and improvements:

With this re-build we have

• updated adapta-maia-themes with the new customized Manjaro-style whiskermenu.
  • improved placement of systray icons
  • adjusted icon display in thunar side pane
  • cleaned up some superfluous config
  • refined styling of the lightdm-gtk-greeter
  • switched to noto-fonts
  • reduced terminal transparency

As mentioned before, 18.0-beta uses the latest xfce-gtk3 packages, Adapta-Maia gtk-theme and Papirus-Maia icons, Calamares(-git) 3.2.0.r4579.6f4dff78a with fancy new slides by @muser, our ‘residential artist’ :slight_smile: :

The current kernel is linux 4.16.8.

I think this preview is already looking really promising! Looking forward to a cracking 18.0 release!

Please keep testing. Your feedback and contributions are much appreciated.
If you are happy to make test instals on real hardware this will be especially interesting for the preparation of our release candidates in the next few weeks.

direct download | torrent
sig | sha1 | sha256
buildlog

[Testing Update] 2018-06-03 - Linux417, Systemd, Pamac
Xfce 18.0-beta-1 testbuild (unstable)
[Stable Update] 2018-05-17 - GCC8, Gimp, KDE, Gnome, Deepin, Firefox
[Stable Update] 2018-05-26 - Kernels, Nvidia, Xorg-Server, Mesa, Browsers, Deepin, Calamares, Pamac
[Testing Update] 2018-05-30 - Deepin, Kernels, Pacman 5.1, Pamac, Firefox, QT 5.11
[Testing Update] 2018-06-09 - Kernels, KDE Apps, LibreOffice, Firefox, GCC, Gambas, Deepin
[Stable Update] 2018-06-01 - Kernels, Pamac, Pacman 5.1, QT 5.11, Deepin, Browsers
[Testing Update] 2018-05-31 - Kernels, Pacman, Deepin
[Stable Update] 2018-06-07 - Kernels, Systemd, Pamac, Octopi, Rebuilds
[Testing Update] 2018-06-21 - Kernels, KDE, QT 5.11.1, Breath Theme
[Stable Update] 2018-06-10 - Kernels, KDE Apps, LibreOffice, Firefox, GCC, Gambas, Deepin
[Testing Update] 2018-06-20 - KDE Plasma, Firefox, Python, Haskell
[Testing Update] 2018-06-13 - Kernels, Nvidia, Deepin, Browsers, KDE Framework
[Testing Update] 2018-06-16 - Kernels, KDE Plasma, Firefox, Haskell, Python
[Testing Update] 2018-06-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Texlive, XFCE
[Testing Update] 2018-06-19 - Realtime Kernel, FFMpeg, Haskell, Python

minions

Zusammenfassung

It is so nice :slight_smile:

Better than 666 :wink:

some magical numbers from the buildlog …

777 :sunglasses:

Idea: slick-greeter in lightdm might look better

Yeah, I was thinking that, too - atm I am just not 100% convinced by its stability, yet. - also, our current version of lightdm-settings still uses some oberon-duct-tape :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and on my i3/xfce dual user install here sometimes the greeter crashes for no apparent reason when I switch users too often …
We should ovserve it a little more and discuss it in a little while again - maybe even before the release. It’s a cool greeter, indeed!

Installed without any problem.

Hardware

System:    Host: iredes Kernel: 4.16.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.1.0 Desktop: N/A 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 18.0-beta-2 Illyria 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H110M-E/M.2 v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A 
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3016 date: 12/27/2016 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-7400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Skylake rev: 9 
           L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 24008 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: N/A driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.3 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Card-2: KYE Systems (Mouse Systems) type: USB driver: uvcvideo,snd-usb-audio bus ID: 1:2 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.16.8-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168 
           v: 8.045.08-NAPI port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 960.80 GiB used: 11.32 GiB (1.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: DT01ACA100 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 3.0 size: 29.29 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 145.67 GiB used: 5.46 GiB (3.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6 
           ID-2: /home size: 295.51 GiB used: 5.87 GiB (2.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 11.18 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 169 Uptime: 7m Memory: 7.67 GiB used: 1.15 GiB (15.0%) Init: systemd Compilers: 
           gcc: 8.1.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.08 

Maybe I’ll test this on my Thinkpad T430. If I do what would I be testing for?

I installed manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings(which i suppose is the package for illyria) and here are some of the things i’ve found:

• Firefox doesn’t use csd

• Xfce-settings didn’t start at boot so i couldn’t use any other theme other than adwaita

• When right clicking in the xfce-panel the popup will show the properties settings in spanish as it should but it will have 2 dots in it(don’t remember how it’s said in spanish)

• No prtscrn key bound

• The package isn’t updated to this release so i guess i’ll just wait because i’m on stable :wink:

• Can’t change network connection beucase it complaints aout uuid(i think it’s just my install)

Note: Some of the issues can or won’t be on the iso since im just testing the default settings that the iso will have not the iso itself.

yes it`s very good idea. few weeks ago i tested archman xfce and they use lightdm-slick-greeter. it was very nice and stable i dont have any problem

going to rebuild this computer tomorrow with a ryzen 2700x and taichi x470 motherboard wondering should I install manjaro-xfce 18.0 2nd beta on it to see how it goes

No, you cannot do just that. If you really want to switch to xfce-gtk3 you also need to install all the xfce-gtk3 packages:

sudo pacman -S manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings exo-gtk3 garcon-gtk3 thunar-gtk3 xfce4-appfinder-gtk3 xfce4-panel-gtk3 xfce4-power-manager-gtk3 xfce4-session-gtk3 xfce4-settings-gtk3 xfce4-terminal xfconf-gtk3 xfdesktop-gtk3 xfwm4-gtk3 xfce4-notifyd-gtk3 xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-gtk3

And then hit the confirm button to replace xfce packages several times :wink:
But even then, on stable branch you won’t have the very latest settings as currently on testing branch.

Heads-up on minor themeing issue with both Budgie & xfce-gtk3 installed

Sounds good! :slight_smile:
What will be interesting is install process with Calamares, if everything installs as it should, and if everything works on your hardware… @whm1974

I booted up the ISO for a few minutes and while browsing the Manjaro forum, I noticed clicking on usernames doesn’t give a popup window. Is that what you mean?

Other than that, the only other oddity I found was that mouse scrolling didn’t work in some of the settings menus (like the icons menu). It just seemed really odd and random why scrolling wouldn’t work in that one particular menu.

I’m not sure if any of this was because I was running the OS from a flash drive or using the free nvidia drivers however. Running from a flash drive is never quite the same as a real install in my experience.

Well… There is 111 useless operations… I want to listen to good lod Iron Maiden, now :slight_smile:

Downloading ISO right now and will test it ASAP for feedbacks.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/some-suggestions-for-xfce-version/47274/29
take a look at this also.

Im waiting for XFCE GTK 3 :smiley:

Is this a mixed package, or did you have a typo in your first post?

Like a lot of xfce users… 4.14 will be the first version with gtk3 support.

@oberon: some quick feedbacks.

Sorry for the french in the screenshots… But I hope it will be useful.

I added nothing but translations and update if available on the installed Manjaro 18.0-b2. Tests made in a VirtualBox machine. I try to launch every single menu item and see what happens.

I) Not working items in Whisker Menu while being on live CD.

When I use the link for the CUPS web interface -> Error 404 in Mozilla Firefox :frowning:

Cups error on live CD

Of course, no problems on the installed Manjaro.

II) Misc.

1. When I launch MenuLibre, there is a warning related to Geoclue. See attached screenshot.
MenuLibre error

1. Icon for full recycle bin aka “Corbeille” in french is not really “readable” with default Wallpaper :frowning:

See attached screenshot.

Full recycle bin icon

1. Theme is not fully dark for LibreOffice on menu line. See last attached screenshot.

For the last screenshot, using manjaro 18.0-b2 default theme.

Hope it helps.

Xfce4 vs xfce4-gtk3
Why XFCE is in the first class?

The topic is closed now, but I agree that tap-to-click should be by default cause it’s much more handy than pressing hardware buttons (that can just be broken on some laptops). There are also some complications with using touchpad in lightdm (mdm? gdm?) in XFCE edition (tap-to-click doesn’t work, left button should be pressed to change username).

Thank you for the detailed testing, @fredb74!
menulibre seems to supply a broken .desktop file. It points to a non existing executable. The other one (usr/share/applications/geoclue-where-am-i.desktop) is ok. Not sure if this is actually a problem, in any case it’s an upstream (freedesktop.org) fault. Will try to investigate more…

libreoffice this is strange. On my local install the rest is dark aswell. Hm.

Contrast of the trash icon is not ideal, I agree, but I thought it would be acceptable. I had already switched icon theme from Papirus-Adapta-Maia to Papirus-Maia just for the reason that the trash can is a little brighter in that one :wink:
And double checking: The cups issue is in live running on hardware, not in virtualbox?