Manjaro XFCE 17.0 (Beta3)

development
release
gellivara

Manjaro Fringilla was a great release, however we are already working on our next release, called “Gellivara”.

With this we also change some things in our release cycle:

In the past we have used numbered versions. Currently we are using versions based on the release target month which, on a rolling release, might point to a monthly based versioning of our install media. However, they only reflect the status of our tools and installer. Also this creates the impression of some of our community releases being newer than the core releases, when in fact they are using the same base and were simply published on a later date.

Depending on the development we might release three major sets of install media with new features. If we find some issues in the original install media, we may update them for fixing bugs, which will then be a point release of the same series. Also we will discuss if we change the code name of the releases this year, or keep one for the whole year.

So what will be the features of the new release series:

• We updated the stock kernel to linux49 4.9 LTS - Done with Alpha1
  • We will update the Xorg-Stack to v1.19 series - Done with Beta1
  • We will enhance and improve Luks and LVM support in CAL - Partly done with CAL v3.0
  • We will enhance and improve our Manjaro Tools & Profiles - Ongoing within v0.14 branch
  • We will enhance and improve our MHWD and MSM - Almost completed for Xorg 1.19
  • We will update our themes - Done in Beta3

Changes since Beta2 release:

• Manjaro Hello 0.4.10
  • Fixed some crashing issues with Xorg-Server
  • [CAL] partition: use always double click to activate a partition tree view item
  • [CAL] netinstall: moved module to a tree based UI
  • [CAL] welcome: Add fallback check for internet connection
  • [CAL] partition: Don’t hardcode /dev/sd* as device path.
  • [CAL] packages: Make try_{install,remove} more robust.

Changes since Beta1 release:

• Pamac 4.2.0
  • Mesa 13.0.4
  • Manjaro Settings Manager 0.5.0
  • Network Manager 1.6.0
  • QT 5.8.0
  • [CAL] fix for an issue in the users module, which could break login if the chosen password had non-Latin1 characters
  • [CAL] proper exception handling in the networkcfg module
  • [CAL] improved autologin configuration handling for sddm.

Changes since Alpha releases:

• fixes for EFI installation
  • gcc updated to v6.3.1
  • xorg-stack v1.19
  • Calamares 3.0 includes countless fixes and improvements to the core application and to the modules, as well as an all new PythonQt-based module interface. The PythonQt interface is optional, and allows module developers to create view modules in Python with Qt.

For those, who already want to test our latest install media, you can find them here.

You mentioned in some other place something about the release name and the release cycles.

It can be a tough one to create release names but what if you took the periodic table and took the name of element number 17 for 2017?

Just a random thought :slight_smile: Thanks for your continued effort on this never-ending story :slight_smile: from never-never-land where grown-ups are not allowed :slight_smile:

Love that idea! Awesome!!!

In 2036… Manjaro Krypton!!!

@OffTopic! @JustForGrins!

I knew it! …that @philm and @oberon is the same person (screenshot proof) :wink:

Nope, that wouldn’t work at all. Periodic table has limited and small number of elements. Manjaro will be around much much longer. Hence we need names from comets, stars… as it is right now. This gives us a little bit more time. But rumor has it, someone is already looking into the problem, what to do once we run out of comet names. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

spoiler - I just looked forward to 2036

I vote for binary:

1702 = 11010100110

Why 1702? Did Manjaro existed back then already?

Chances are when we finally invent a time machine there’s going to be a Linux kernel in there somewhere… :slight_smile:

1702 or 17.02, unless it’s 1703 or 17.03 :frowning:

The ‘.02’ indicates the month. Guess what the ‘17’ means. :wink:

Unless every time the question is asked sets @philm & Co. back 5 minutes answering.

But really, if your system is fully updated you are already running it (minus themes, etc.). Remember, Manjaro is rolling, rolling, rolling…

Sorry, I wan’t thinking about year and month, I was like 1702? We live in 2017, so why reverse it?
Narrow mind, caused by my daily portion of alcohol, although “they” say one glass of red wine per day is good. Maybe I have to continue doing so a lot longer.
Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. My wife uses that same line.

Me, I get along with (legal) cannabis.

“Everybody’s got something to hide, except for me and my monkee.”

Regards