Manjaro vs Solus?

That just about nails it IMO!

1 Like

I just am lucky maybe, accept for the odd black screen at boot & had to reinstall 1 time didnā€™t have any probs. Maybe that kernal was it, no error or anything though. I have it on drive 2 & no issues. It is odd how every distro (well most) have a different directory structure.

Cons of Solus:

their kernels are found in /usr/lib64/kernel and not /boot for some reason. If youā€™re using it as your only distro on your system, thatā€™s not an issue.(That is odd)

The age-old debate I see in the Linux world. Which distro is more stable?

Honestly, just as someone else here already said, you can break anything in any Linux distro. There is no such thing as a ā€œrock solidā€ distro if youā€™re the kind of person who likes to tinker. Itā€™s not a matter of ā€œifā€, itā€™s a matter ofā€¦ you guessed itā€¦ ā€œwhenā€.

And even if you donā€™t tinker, stuff happens. Screen tearing, NVIDIA drivers, other drivers, major release upgradesā€¦ Even regular updates can break your *buntu machine too. Go look at their forums, or the various subreddits. ā€œOMG I changed my wallpaper, now my computer wonā€™t boot wtf linux sux lol? =(ā€

Iā€™m just so tired of all this talk about ā€œX distro isnā€™t stableā€. ā€œX distro is rock solidā€. People only speak of their own experience screwing up systems. Iā€™ve done it. It all comes down to A) How you use your computer, and 2) Plain olā€™ luck. We all know this is true, donā€™t lie. Also like someone said, MS and Apple OSā€™s also break all the time (for the same reasons Linux can breakā€¦ because thatā€™s just how computers work), but they have so much market share and PR that hardly anyone minds.

Are some distros just put together better than others? Of course. You wouldnā€™t find me using Hannah Montana Linux in a million years (no diss to those who like it, just ainā€™t my cup of tea :wink: ).

Alright, Iā€™m done.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Is a rolling release suitable for my system