Manjaro Tools Broken

openrc

With the recent efi changes the repo tools still build ok but efi boot fails with a “Failed to start Loader efi” message, this is only on openrc.

Yes no problem with systemd just made one and it boots fine

Hate to bump this but this is still broken, think it only efi and openrc effected. So having to use systemd and convert it to openrc. Please fix.

Manjaro OpenRC 16.10.2 ISO

Which manjaro-tools were used and which profiles? We are currently working on manjaro tools v0.14. However manjaro tools v0.13.8 only works with following profiles branch.

The ones in the repo’s 16.10-1 and 13.8-1 yes that’s what I used

I put this in for openrc # possible values: openrc,systemd
initsys=“openrc”

Maybe because some package is needed which provides the systemd-bootx64.efi file used to boot in EFI mode, I noticed that it was recently removed from the eudev-systemdcompat package.

Since Marcus is maintaining OpenRC it seems to be logical that he is also using the manjaro-tools v0.14 series with a new set of profiles.

Sorry but I can’t do what you have linked, it does not seem enough to build ISO’s, so I am not sure what to do?

There is a file missing I think as on uefi usb boot I get this message “Failed to start loader.efi: (14) not found?”

I tried building an ISO, same issue as @robinw0800.

@artoo could you tell how to correct this?

In the created ISO I notice that /bootmnt/EFI/boot/loader.efi is present, but does not seem to work.

Used manjaro-tools 0.13.8 to build the ISO.

With manjaro-tools-0.14, I unified this, ie systemd and openrc iso use the gummiboot(specificly systemd’s efi file).
Look at the shared directory in iso-profiles repo what needs to be present in live package list.

I added >x86_64 manjaro-efi-utils to Packages-Live but still did not work…

Edit (more details)-

• While generating the ISO:

==> Prepare [manjaro/boot/EFI]
    -> Copying efi loaders …
    -> Writing loader.conf …
    -> Writing uefi-shell-v1-x86_64.conf …
    -> Writing uefi-shell-v2-x86_64.conf …
    -> Writing manjaro-x86_64.conf …
    -> Writing manjaro-x86_64-nonfree.conf …
    -> Copying shellx64_v1.efi …
    -> Copying shellx64_v2.efi …
    ==> Done [manjaro/boot/EFI]
    ==> Prepare [manjaro/iso/EFI]
    mkfs.fat 4.0 (2016-05-06)
    -> Copying boot images …
    -> Copying efi loaders …
    -> Writing loader.conf …
    -> Writing uefi-shell-v1-x86_64.conf …
    -> Writing uefi-shell-v2-x86_64.conf …
    -> Writing manjaro-x86_64.conf …
    -> Writing manjaro-x86_64-nonfree.conf …
    -> Copying shellx64_v1.efi …
    -> Copying shellx64_v2.efi …
    ==> Done [manjaro/iso/EFI]

• In the live ISO booted in BIOS mode:

$ tree /boot
    /boot
    ├── grub
    │ └── grubenv
    ├── linux48-x86_64.kver
    ├── memtest86+
    │ └── memtest.bin
    ├── syslinux
    │ └── syslinux.cfg
    └── vmlinuz-4.8-x86_64

3 directories, 5 files

$ tree /bootmnt/EFI/ /bootmnt/EFI/ ├── boot │ ├── bootx64.efi │ ├── HashTool.efi │ └── loader.efi ├── miso │ └── manjaro.img ├── shellx64_v1.efi └── shellx64_v2.efi

2 directories, 6 files

Yes you are right I do not know what to do as systemd works fine and I can not believe that is hard to make openrc work.
Perhaps release manjaro tools 14 to testing might also be a solution?

@aaditya

You need git version of both tools and new profiles repo.

I did use both git versions and for some reason it still failed. If you have time a short description and urls to these would;d be good to make sure we are on the same page, then I will try again.

@artoo

I think I was able to figure out whats wrong.

Loader.efi specified in https://github.com/manjaro/manjaro-tools/blob/stable-0.13.x/lib/util-iso-boot.sh#L67 is wrong, should be gummibootx64.efi like https://github.com/manjaro/manjaro-tools/blob/stable-0.14.x/lib/util-iso-boot.sh#L89

Have created a pull request https://github.com/manjaro/manjaro-tools/pull/252

Not really, I said already, you need 0.14(git), efi setup has changed.
Not sure we do another 0.13.x instead of 0.14.

Please forgive me if all this is known
The change to "util-iso-boot.sh is in an if then else loop, the if statement looks for a systemd file, if your building this on systemd system I think this file will be there and so the else statement will never be reached?

There seems to be a problem with “manjaro-efi-utils” this is called and should build “efi-utils” in the root image it doesn’t so the build fails. You can’t pre copy this folder as the build fails saying the files already exist.I waited until the faulty copy had taken place and then copied the efi-utils to the root image before any contents were needed

Using Git versions of Manjaro-tools, manjaro-tools-iso-profiles and iso-profiles managed to build an openrc efi booting iso

Thanks to all.

13.08 Tools and efi boot

Add “manjaro-efi-utils” to root-packages

Add “gummibootx64” to /usr/lib/manjaro-tools/util-iso-boot.sh
Change the line 67 to read as below

cp $1/usr/share/efi-utils/gummibootx64.efi $2/loader.efi

For systemd do all the above and also delete “systemd-bootx64.efi” from /usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/