Manjaro terminal commands

Hello everyone I was wondering what Manjaro distribution was based off of. Do we use theterminal commands as use for Ubuntu or Mint, Fedora

I was searching for a list of basic commands to be use and I see Manjaro uses different commands

Would you have a list that might help make the transition a bit easier

Thanks so much for any help on this topic

1 Like
[code]man yaourt[/code]
[code]mhwd --help[/code]
2 Likes

It’s Arch-based. See: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

3 Likes

All commands in Linux are the same. What you type in the terminal are called shell commands (you can even use these commands on Mac because we’re all Unix based OS and use bash by default). But each Linux distribution has its own tools, like package manager to install, uninstall, and update the packages and that’s the only biggest difference between Linux distributions beside the desktop environment and init service it uses. And the difference between Ubuntu/Mint and Arch/Manjaro for the package manager is Ubuntu is using Aptitude (apt in terminal command) and Manjaro is using pacman and yaourt. So that’s what you need to know. Other commands like cd, copy, mv, rm, cat, sudo, man, etc that you’ll find the most in tutorials are all the same thing. Application based commands are all the same as long as you got the same application installed, for example you need to install ffmpeg to use ffmpeg commands, install vim to use vim commands, install wget to use wget commands, etc. Hope this helps you understand better about terminal commands. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

And for the pacman and yaourt commands you may want to know, here are the videos I made for you:
Basic pacman commands and usage:

Basic yaourt commands and usage:

Of course, you can use the GUI provided to install and update your system without using terminal at all. Good luck and welcome to Manjaro :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Wow thanks everyone for all the cool information that’s what I love about Linux is the willingness to help out new and old users. I will look over all the info posted here and start getting my notes together

Thanks so much and keep the info coming

4 Likes

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

3 Likes

Kouros17, that’s a great reference list thanks so much

Instead of using yaourt blindly, you need to read the archwiki on Aur, Pacman, makepkg, PkgBuild and learn what you are really doing when you install a package not from the offical repo. Also investigate something like pacaur instead of yaourt.

here are more commands to update,maintain, and fix your system with detailed explanations:
https://github.com/excalibur1234/pacli-simple/blob/master/pacli#L495
these explanations might be too precise for beginners, but offer more insight for the experienced terminal user.

1 Like

I use this link quite often:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman_Tips

3 Likes

i started with the exact same link. definitely great for terminal beginners, who find

man pacman

hard to follow!

1 Like

And I really like pacli / pacli-simple and bmenu. :+1:
Is there anything else in this spirit? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this video tutorial. Very helpful for me since I’m new using Manjaro and linux in general. By the way, what version of Manjaro were you using in the Video?

Thanks.

Good to hear it, man :slight_smile: I never care about version in Manjaro, so I don’t know which version I was using in that video. Manjaro is a rolling release distribution, that means you’re always up-to-date and I update my system everyday. So let’s just call it the Manjaro Unstable (since I’m in unstable repository) version the/date/I/made/that/video :smile:
Welcome to Manjaro man :wink:

2 Likes

“Versions” of Manjaro are just snapshots, meaning once an update has taken place after the release date of a version - it changes as time goes by. Just make sure you update frequently

i agree.
you can find out which “version” of manjaro you are running with

lsb_release -a

but it keeps changing…

1 Like

I Know this is an old topic
BUT the Title is Interesting

so i would like to share this
for the new guys who comes across

Pacman Commands