Manjaro supports Snap

snap
flatpak

i have 1 question since i have access to the AUR why should i care about snaps

For (snaps and flatpaks):

• Snaps allow you to install in Manjaro the same binary snap package you installed on your Ubuntuor any other distro supporting snap.
  • Snaps will not break when you update your system because of some new library version.
  • Snaps update atomically with just the meaningful parts of the snap being updated, instead of requiring a full package download.
  • Snaps allow you to run code in a sandboxed environment with strict rules imposed by the snap writer and with your own drop-in replacements if you wish.
  • Snaps can’t really break your system unless there was a clear intent to do so from the snap author.

If nothing of this matters to you, then AUR is better.

@rahtgaz what are primary disadvantages to snaps/flat packs?

Cons (snaps and flatpaks):

• Snaps carry a lot of overweight since they contain most of the libraries and other requirements to run the program.
  • Related to this, you end up with redundant disk space usage if you install more than one snap with similar requirements.
  • Can’t trust your source. Everyone can be a packager! So snap maintenance involves keeping an eye on authors credibility, etc. This is no different than AUR, but contrary to AUR there really isn’t a mechanism currently to obtain this information.
  • If using apparmor (or flatpak more advanced snadboxing) increased memory and cpu usage for application execution in order to maintain the “OS within an OS” processing strategy.

Adding one more to your very good list (corrections / mitigations welcome).

• Because the libraries are packaged together with the application, a vulnerability needs to be patched in EACH application using that library.

Plus one other question:

• Currently octopi-notifier tells me when an AUR update is available. Can octopi poll snaps/flatpacks for update availablity?

I would like to use snaps, if they fix the huge size that snaps use, i haven’t tested this myself but i found out that alternatives to snaps like appimage are incredibly slower than nomal packages, tested this with an unofficial version of gimp, and etcher, so i would like to know if snaps are considerably slower to normal packages, plus the only reason i don’t like the aur is that most of the packages are build from source code and this is a good thing and a bad thing as well because there are packages that just take a lot to build like a dependency from gimp-git(don’t remember the name) which took over a complete day and started from 8 am to 1 am in which i noticed that it was infinite and stopped it, wasting a whole day in that thing.

I honestly much prefer the AUR to snaps/appimages because of those reasons mentioned here: Speed, Installed Size, and Credibility.

Snaps are not meant to replace AUR. They are meant as an addition to Arch software installation in general and not as a replacement for AUR or Arch repos.

Expected use cases for a snap or flatpak packages include:

• Software not available at Manjaro official repos or AUR that the user doesn’t wish to build himself.
  • Software that isn’t being built from AUR because it takes too long, fails, or is unsupported by the user hardware.
  • Software that the user needs to remove from the rolling updates mechanism and control exactly when and to what release it gets updated.
  • Software that the user needs to be executed in a secure sandbox.

So, snaps and flatpaks aren’t meant to be your daily software package sources, but instead special cases in your Manjaro box. So, don’t ignore them entirely or think you may not need it because between manjaro repos and AUR, you will have all that you need.

Either AUR or snap or flatpak should only really be used for edge applications that are not present in the repos.

I hope distros don’t migrate towards a snap like deployment scheme to make their lives easier in the future, that is to lessen their package maintenance workload.

Main thing deterring me from snap currently is Canonical controlling the Snap Store, I just don’t trust them enough.

Snaps running in a secure container mitigates a lot of the trust issues for me.

On Canonical controlling the snap store

Thank you for enumerating this, i was about to post asking this exact thing to clear up the picture.

How much control does Canonical have over all this?

@zyga-ubuntu

This is most likely related to the fact that nvidia support mixes binaries coming from the snap with the GL stack coming from the distribution. Until this is changed it is a hit-and-miss. Perhaps Manjaro uses more bleeding edge (ABI-incompatible) compiler option somewhere. We’d have to gdb this to see where it breaks exactly.

Wow, that’s huge. The previous update for pamac was already great, and now you are telling that it is going to become a graphical fronted supporting repo, AUR, snap and flatpak packages. Wow. I don’t think any package manager currently supports such a wide range of sources.

Octopi getting any snap support love?

can not get new nvidia drives to install

Philm, I am sure I probably don’t need to ask however, should Manjaro indeed move to implement snaps and flatpaks then there would be a good instructional/tutorial on the tool’s installation and best practice for usage?

This seems to be way off-topic my friend.

baddd

An old saying says:
you catch more flies with syrup than with vinegar.

On my unstable I don’t see snapd :

~]$ sudo pacman -S snapd
erreur : impossible de trouver la cible : snapd

Did I miss something ?

Did you do a pacman -Syyu?