yep, all good now. thanks for checking on me
On both of my machines where this happened, I ended up having to delete that file.
Here are my definitive instructions for anyone who wants to duplicate how I fixed it. Slightly modified version of @crimson-daemon 's method which didn’t work for me out of the box.
- Boot from a live system (connected to the internet)
- sudo pacman -Sy
- Mount system disk
a) sudo fdisk -l (find the device that contains root, mine was /dev/nvme0n1p4)
b) sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt
- sudo pacman -S arch-install-scripts
- sudo arch-chroot /mnt
- ln -s /usr/lib/libidn2.so.0.3.5 /usr/lib/libidn2.so.4
- sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck (you only need to do this if you receive errors about “unable to lock database” like I did on both of my comps)
- sudo pacman -Syyuu
- Reboot (OS should boot normally now)