How can I add an unallocated partition to the Manjaro Partition?

I have a dual boot (Win10/Manjaro Xfce) and I made a unallocaed partition of 4GB that I want to add to my current 86GB partition of Manjaro, however I cant do this via windows disk manager (at least I think I cant because I tried and wasnt able to expand the Manjaro partition into the unallocated space)

So how can I do this?

I cant include links on my posts apperently but I think in this case is very important so here’s the screenshot
https://imgur.com/vTNSrhx.png

the last partition is the one where Manjaro is located and the first one is Win10

Not really… There are certain things where screenshots are better, but this is not the case.

Can you please post the output of lsblk to make it easier for users to help?

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0    7:0    0         0 loop 
loop1    7:1    0         0 loop 
loop2    7:2    0         0 loop 
loop3    7:3    0         0 loop 
loop4    7:4    0         0 loop 
loop5    7:5    0         0 loop 
loop6    7:6    0         0 loop 
loop7    7:7    0         0 loop 
sda      8:0    0 447,1G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   579M  0 part 
├─sda2   8:2    0 356,5G  0 part 
├─sda3   8:3    0   100M  0 part /boot/efi
└─sda4   8:4    0    86G  0 part /

Definitely don’t do that. Use GParted from a live USB.

ALWAYS backup before touching existing partitions.

Oh sorry, I messed up, I meant the output of lsblk -a. Can you just update your above post with it? By default, lsblk does not list empty drives.

That being said, you should be easily able to merge it via gparted but you need the LiveCD to do it.

You can obtain the LiveCD from here, and put it on a USB with etcher or dd or the like. Boot into it, click on the main drive, and expand it.

Do you know some tutorial on how to use the GParted live USB, I’m pretty confused about it, I’m a complete beginner to linux

Here(I also updated my orginal post):

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0    7:0    0         0 loop 
loop1    7:1    0         0 loop 
loop2    7:2    0         0 loop 
loop3    7:3    0         0 loop 
loop4    7:4    0         0 loop 
loop5    7:5    0         0 loop 
loop6    7:6    0         0 loop 
loop7    7:7    0         0 loop 
sda      8:0    0 447,1G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   579M  0 part 
├─sda2   8:2    0 356,5G  0 part 
├─sda3   8:3    0   100M  0 part /boot/efi
└─sda4   8:4    0    86G  0 part /

Perhaps start with the documentation. :wink:

Maybe I’m dumb. But @Yochanan, do you know why lsblk -a isn’t showing the unallocated 4GB? (learning experience for me)

Type “How to resize or expand with gparted” in a search engine. It’s extremely simple to use gparted. There are even sliders to help the user to resize/expand partitions.

I love gparted because of how user friendly it is.

Because it lists empty devices (as in drives) but not unallocated portions of devices. That can be seen though through the sizes of all the partitions together being less than the size of the drive.

1 Like
❯ sudo partx -l /dev/nvme0n1
# 1:      4096-   618495 (   614400 sectors,    314 MB)
# 2:    618496-488392064 (487773569 sectors, 249740 MB)
1 Like

thanks for the help but I’m still very confused even after reading the documentation, I’ll try to make myself more clear, what I want to do is simply to expand my Manjaro partition, my win10 one has quite a lot of extra memory that I do not intend to use, essentially I want to “transfer” a part of the memory from win10 to manjaro, I initially tried to shrink the win10 partition (creating the 4GB of unallocated space I was talking about) but appenrently it’s not possible through windows to free some space and then extend the other partition into it (or at least it isn’t so simple, from what I undertand they need to be adjecent)

Hi!
If the partitions aren’t adjacent it would take more time and some precautions but it still can do it.

1. Do a backup of your system and other for the grub partition
  2. Using a live iso, add the 4g partition to the grub partition, apply changes.
  3. Resize de grub partition leaving the 4g at the end of the partition, apply changes.
  4. Add the 4g partition to the linux partition, this would take a lot of time, depends of how much data you have in that partition because it have to add the 4g and move all data to the beginning of that partition.

The easy way

1. Format de 4g to ext4 and mount it in your home as /home/whatever
    You could use that partition like a dir in your home

thanks, is there another way though? I don’t really need to use that specific 4GB partition, I can easily give it back to Win10. What I want to do is to expand the Manjaro partition essentially, can I do that without having to go through making a free space via win10 and then going through all that process or is there another(easier) way to do this?

Hi!
If the partitions aren’t adjacent, no.
The easiest way would be resizing the win partition, make a new partition with all allocate space, mount it in /run/media/@USER and move all your personal data to that partition, this way you’ll have more free space in your system partition.

1 Like