Manjaro & snaps mentioned in Ubuntu blog

i believe this is where manjaro want to go
as all signs suggest this

Rolling servers ?
Why not, but it would be better to tell users upfront (and hopefully to only move there if already existing paying institutional clients).

nope its not rolling when snaps come in picture

Ok, well On Ubuntu side, some users even consider snap inclusion in software library as a bug : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1789943

(which is realistic)

but you do though, the snap store itself is a snap and that is included no?

1 Like

no afaik its discover-snap which is installed not snap store

1 Like

It was briefly included in one of the RCs but was removed in subsequent RCs replaced with gnome-software-snap and discover-snap. In the most recent RCs I think fpakman is now replacing them but I haven't verified the last RC personally.

2 Likes

i wasnt a fan of including snap/flatpak, but i at least had the comfort of knowing the community editions didnt come with those but the last awesome-wm iso pulls in all the xfce packages and so also pull in snap/flatpak, and any other crapware that may make it onto xfce's iso since it seems this is the way manjaro is heading. im not at the point of replacing manjaro with arch but if this trend keeps up then i dont see myself as being long for using manjaro. :disappointed: .

i really like the manjaro community and really dont want to leave it but if in a month's time things can head so far in this direction then idk ?

first it's snapd will come preinstalled, then enabled by default. then folks said

"why snap over flatpak? if something absolutely needs to pre-installed then i would prefer flatpak."

and now we have both snap and flatpak included when neither one was/is needed/wanted on a rolling distro. :man_facepalming:

maybe we overlooked this thread since it was mixed in with the many threads opposing snapd inclusion by default. it must be there somewhere? right? :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

The Openbox Edition will not contain any of the mentioned package methods as long as I am the maintainer of said edition.

Not that I have anything against them - I just don't have the use for them.

8 Likes

Pretty much the same same with bspwm edition.

I don't agree. Manjaro does take community into account when making decisions. Each maintainer has their own vision of what they want, and they make compromises between that vision and what community wants. I've been polling forums before releases and included a lot of things that I don't use myself. At one point I even included a gui installer, because that was what people wanted. I remodeled the whole edition to use gtk3 instead of gtk2 to make it happen.

5 Likes

PLEASE keep it like that! <3

Please don't take it personal, didn't mean to be derogerative in any way! I certainly appreciate the work you guys do. Manjaro has been a rock solid daily driver for me ever since I came here.

Just looks to me that some of the more recent decisions weren't based on any user feedback but rather came out of the blue.
But even if this was the case, things are totaly up to you guys, you dont owe anything to most people here, certainly not to me. If you think Snaps and FreeOffice are the right things to do so be it.

Hence I can't really understand the agressivity of some of the posts here.
If Manjaro takes a turn I am not happy with, I will move on, no need for bad feelings.

2 Likes

These particular changes did not originate from the community, but even then, community has been considered. For example, initially snap-store was planned to be included in the official editions, but because of the feedback it was not and no snaps come pre-installed. Since freeoffice has received a lot of criticism, I'm pretty sure that will be addressed too in some way.

Some of us do, some of us don't, hence we have editions with and without them.

1 Like

I wonder how many people have in-depth experience with Snaps, flatpaks or Appimage?

could it be that people are so resistant to change that they will do everything to keep others from using something that may actually turn out to be good. There is a reason why all the major distro's are going to these technologies.

Seems that most sysadmins who work for Redhat, Openstack, IBM, Canonical see that these technologies allow them to scale their systems without worrying about being locked into a distro or OS. Linux has broad deployments in the world and users need a way to use the tools they need to do their jobs and not be locked into a certain OS or even distro.

However, you can use your favorite distro, and still be able to use the applications you need to do your job. I am seeing that there is a mindset of Inclusion vs Exclusion. Those who want to make it so that others cannot innovate, always want to live in the past and not the future.

After listening to the jblive where manjaro and the reason for snaps, flatpaks and appimage was talked about, It's about the future of Linux and it's adoption in the enterprise across the world. Some of the users need to understand and research the usage of containers and virtualization and then they will understand why linux as a whole is going the way it's going.

https://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1030/jblive/

2 Likes

As said, amongst my some 28K posts on Ubuntu forums, several hundred are help post for unfortunate users who had been pushed snaps.
Solution for them is to remove snap and install vanilla .deb package.

I get very well the value of global packagers.
@this stage, Snap is NOT ready, Flatpak is a better, faster, lighter choice (not totally ready as well.)
Canonical centralization, monopoly and telemetry of snap is also a major problem (telemetry can be useful, but force one without opt-in and opt-out is NOT.)
If Ubuntu users do have a problem with snap (and do tell it), it's obvious Manjaro users can share the feeling.

2 Likes

People :heart: Manjaro. Please keep listening to the community. Don't become a Canonical.

2 Likes

atleast apt get a snap depency at ubuntu... depends what future comes :slight_smile:

100% Agree!!!! I just left the Big-Corp F#ckery of Ubuntu behind! I do not like what I am
seeing creeping into Manjaro World.

1 Like

11 years with Ubuntu, and my irritation with Canonical, and not being able to compile GTK2 so I could compile my go-to music player, Aqualung, which is gapless.

I tried Manjaro, and the AUR contains aqualung-git. I chose it to build, and it did so perfectly.

I'm done with Canonical dropping apps from the repos. I'm with a far superior Arch-based distro, which is faster than Ubuntu, just in the terms of daemons running; Manjaro runs 28 daemons on my deck, and Ubuntu runs around 90. FAST decks are the inevitable result.

Therefore, I'm staying with Manjaro, after 5 days of usage.

4 Likes

Options are good.
Thats why we love opensource.
Please stop spreading FUD if you dont understand what you are seeing...

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark