How To Boot From NVME on RockPro64?

I have done some reading and just want to be sure I a right. To be able to install Manjaro ARM to an NVME, and more importantly, boot from that NVME on the RockPro64 one has to either flash the SPI or mess around with changing partiton labels ?

You just need a uboot which supports booting drom. Nvme.

Will have to see whats needed in uboot to boot from nvme.

The RockPro64 has a built in BOOTROM, which checks for valid boot sectors on different devices. In the case of RockPro64 the BOOTROM checks the following:

1. Uboot on SPI flash. If found continue booting, if not found go to step 2.
  2. Uboot on eMMC. If found continue booting, if not found go to step 3.
  3. Uboot on SD card. If found continue, if not found go to step 4.
  4. Boot systems on Ethernet. If not found stop booting.

So to be able to boot Manjaro from NVME, you need to have a Uboot that supports NVME (the Manjaro one does) on either SPI, eMMC or SD card. I have never used the SPI, so I will not count that.

You can flash our image to the NVME drive using DD, Etcher or our Manjaro ARM Flasher. But you also need to flash the 2 uboot binaries to the eMMC drive (idbloader.img and u-boot.itb), like described in the uboot flashing instructions here: uboot-rockpro64.install · master · manjaro-arm / packages / core / uboot-rockpro64 · GitLab.
After you do that, make sure that the PARTUUID’s are correct in /etc/fstab and /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and it should boot to your NVME drive.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed guide.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.