Manjaro shouldn't waste time with Rufus

IMO ads on a website is far different that serving ads in an application, but maybe that's just me.

Regardless, I have no intention of recommending Etcher with a disclaimer. I will simply no longer recommend it. Everyone else may do as they please. This is just my own personal opinion towards programs that do this in Linux.

Lots of people have no problem with the way Windows and Windows programs treat their users. That is not my way of thinking, I prefer to keep software like this off my computer. In the end you are free to do as you please with your computer.

1 Like

In my memory there have been problems here and then with creating ISO's on a USB in the last years. That's software. You then take another tool until the solution is found. Fortunately, there are SUSE-imagewriter and Mintstick in the repos.
What seems new to me is the totally superfluous aggressive tone in some posts here. What for?

1 Like

I am running WSL on my work laptop right now. Mostly for zsync, perl, and git command line (and there is a current terminal emulator that looks like the original MS-DOS terminal). I am certain dd is available now. The only thing I do not know (and am unwilling to try on my work laptop) is whether the WSL can talk correctly to my USB thumb drive.

2 Likes

As far as I know windows has always been able to write dd using cmd the windows terminal I'm sure i have used it for just that in the past, and to revitalise usb thumb drive when non readable, and many other tasks a good administrator trained by Ms uses cmd in preference to a GUI, as does unix,mac,linux, admins
Windows is as terminal based and keyboard orientated even more so than unix and so is mac.
its just users refuse to learn just like with Linux.

2 Likes

no point investing time in something that is not part of the future

so is it possible to construct a .bat script to also include selecting USB device?

(and incidentally tin-foil is not the preferred head protection of the modern conspiracy theorist. upgrade to stainless steel is needed with 5G rollout coming! :crazy_face:)

3 Likes

I agree, we all should make judgements for ourselves what we do and don't recommend. We all have different levels of acceptance as it relates to privacy and security.

At the same time, it seems that an imaging application that makes calls to social media platforms and ignores settings to disable telemetry is something that some people in this community are going to find questionable.

2 Likes

if that is the case and not just some advertising it is over the line IMO

Lead. I think you mean lead. And maybe 3 feet thick.

I remember battling to write a uefi iso with dd when I moved over to Manjaro. Only suse studio worked for me. Are you sure that dd command you posted works?

1 Like

Copy and paste from manjaro wiki :smiley:
It must work :smiley: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The problem is that sometimes you have a fringe device and need to change a few things before booting the liveUSB. Like my UEFI32 device, which needs an .efi file that most distros don't provide (Manjaro32 does.) An ISO9960 liveUSB has zero space left on it after the dd operation. A FAT32 liveUSB is editable.

2 Likes

Cheers for the explanation. But why is Manjaro special in this way? While I was distro hopping, Manjaro was the first not to write with dd straight away.
I really wanted to use Manjaro, so I found a way :star_struck:

So, big KDE-Test with,

the version is a little bit too big for DVD 4,7GB :smiley:

It work fantastic, KDE :slight_smile: and dd :wink:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter] status=progress conv=fdatasync
2 Likes

see as long as its not bigger than windows 10 its acceptable.

1 Like

i used manjaro-tools.
did not use manjaro-tools-git as it breaks compatibility with dd.

2 Likes

I got I am glad I don't have to deal with this.

Manjaro ARM images are directly packaged filesystems, with partitions and everything already done. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think not having a live session has been my saviour here. :wink:

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Imaging a FreeDOS device from within Manjaro

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Imaging a FreeDOS device from within Manjaro

Seems like this discussion has been over for a couple of months and I don't want to keep moving off-topic posts elsewhere.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark