Manjaro-settings-manager freezes when accessing the hardware section

Hi there,

After uninstalling bumblebee driver non free with the manjaro-settings-manager(MSM) and rebooting, whenever I try to access MSM hardware section it crashes. I get the same result when opening it from cli, and mhdw also has stopped working. Also, rebooting gets frozen as well. I can’t even access other terminals with ctrl alt f2,f3 after rebooting fails. I think the reboot issue has to do with video driver processes being unable to be closed.

I’ve been trying to solve this issue and after a few hours of searching I found this article so it might be due to qt5ct ( https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Set_all_Qt_app’s_to_use_GTK%2B_font_%26_theme_settings )

I’ve tried to set the environmental variables but failed.
Sorry it’s a bit difficult and I need a little hands holding because I’m very new.

My q5 settings are:
Style: kvantum
Standard dialog: default
Palette: default
Fonts: cantareol10

this issue comes up when i install kde on my optimus laptop where anything that tries to access anything gpu related it locks up. the easiest way around it regardless of whichever DE your using would be to boot up the live usb installer again and once your on a graphical environment and connect to network, use manjaro-chroot to access your existing install and you can copy/paste from browser to terminal to do all your mhwd and other graphic related command from there.

this also allows you to easily provide the needed info for anyone here to be able to help you further.

1 Like

Hello dlgt, i Just read what is chroot and I successfully accessed the system and installed the intended drivers.

Should I unmount the little folders in a reversed order? Or can I just umount /mnt

Apparently there’s no need to umount. I just typed exit and left the session. Every umount command I saw in the Arch wiki didn’t work (manjaro doesn’t even mention umounting…)

if i remember correctly, you type “exit” twice.
for future reference, manjaro-chroot makes things much easier from terminal you would simply
sudo manjaro-chroot -a
and go about your business.

btw, what did you install, and while your there, now would be a good time to post output for
inxi -Fxxxz
mhwd -li
and any other relevant info from:

2 Likes

.editing… installing several drivers after i finished the guide messed up things and now i have nouveau as driver again. i will edit this post shortly.

You should not install more than one driver for video. The best way for non-experts is to use automatic installation (either in MSM using the command buttons, or mhwd using the auto flag, check --help or manjaro wiki)

2 Likes

So I followed the guide and made sure everything was as it said (the guide is pretty good once you learn how to click the arrows!) but I think something went wrong in the last step because my monitor appears as turned off (i can still go to tty). Then I tried several drivers but in the end I came back to the video-nvidia one because i think it is the one i need. Please note that I didn’t edit anything in Grub. could that be the problem?

Afterwards I tried with different drivers, but still got the same issue so I came back to the original nvidia-video. here is the information>

inxi -Fxxxz
12System:    12Host manjaro-i3 12Kernel 4.19.2-1-MANJARO x86_64 12bits 64 12compiler gcc 12v 8.2.1 
           12Desktop i3 4.16 12info i3bar 12dm N/A 12Distro Manjaro Linux 
12Machine:   12Type Laptop 12System Micro-Star 12product GE73 Raider RGB 8RF 12v REV:1.0 12serial <filter> 
           12Chassis 12type 10 12serial <filter> 
           12Mobo Micro-Star 12model MS-17C5 12v REV:1.0 12serial <filter> 12UEFI American Megatrends 
           12v E17C5IMS.10D 12date 10/18/2018 
12Battery:   12ID-1 BAT1 12charge 48.1 Wh 12condition 51.0/53.4 Wh (96%) 12volts 12.1/10.9 12model MSI BIF0_9 
           12type Li-ion 12serial N/A 12status Unknown 
12CPU:       12Topology 6-Core 12model Intel Core i7-8750H 12bits 64 12type MT MCP 12arch Kaby Lake 12rev A 
           12L1 cache 384 KiB 12L2 cache 9216 KiB 12L3 cache 9216 KiB 
           12flags lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 12bogomips 53004 
           12Speed 1052 MHz 12min/max 800/4100 MHz 12Core speeds (MHz) 121 1018 122 1042 123 1046 124 1045 
           125 1043 126 1058 127 1044 128 1044 129 1046 1210 1044 1211 1045 1212 1038 
12Graphics:  12Device-1 Intel UHD Graphics 630 12vendor Micro-Star MSI 12driver i915 12v kernel 
           12bus ID 00:02.0 12chip ID 8086:3e9b 
           12Device-2 NVIDIA GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile] 12vendor Micro-Star MSI 12driver nouveau 
           12v kernel 12bus ID 01:00.0 12chip ID 10de:1ba1 
           12Display 12server X.Org 1.20.3 12driver modesetting,nvidia 12compositor compton 
           12resolution 1920x1080~120Hz 
           12OpenGL 12renderer Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 12v 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 
           12compat-v 3.0 12direct render Yes 
12Audio:     12Device-1 Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS 12vendor Micro-Star MSI 12driver snd_hda_intel 12v kernel 
           12bus ID 00:1f.3 12chip ID 8086:a348 
           12Sound Server ALSA 12v k4.19.2-1-MANJARO 
12Network:   12Device-1 Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] 12driver iwlwifi 12v kernel 12port 6000 
           12bus ID 00:14.3 12chip ID 8086:a370 
           12IF wlo1 12state up 12mac <filter> 
           12Device-2 Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet 12vendor Micro-Star MSI 
           12driver alx 12v kernel 12port 3000 12bus ID 03:00.0 12chip ID 1969:e0b1 
           12IF enp3s0 12state down 12mac <filter> 
12Drives:    12Local Storage 12total 1.16 TiB 12used 4.81 GiB (0.4%) 
           12ID-1 /dev/nvme0n1 12vendor Kingston 12model RBUSNS8154P3256GJ 12size 238.47 GiB 
           12speed 15.8 Gb/s 12lanes 2 12serial <filter> 12rev E8FK11.C 
           12ID-2 /dev/sda 12vendor Seagate 12model ST1000LM049-2GH172 12size 931.51 GiB 12speed 6.0 Gb/s 
           12serial <filter> 12rev SDM1 
           12ID-3 /dev/sdb 12type USB 12vendor SanDisk 12model Ultra USB 3.0 12size 14.32 GiB 
           12serial <filter> 12rev 1.00 
12Partition: 12ID-1 / 12size 233.23 GiB 12used 4.81 GiB (2.1%) 12fs ext4 12dev /dev/nvme0n1p1 
12Sensors:   12System Temperatures 12cpu 47.0 C 12mobo N/A 12gpu nouveau 12temp 53 C 
           12Fan Speeds (RPM) N/A 
12Info:      12Processes 263 12Uptime 5m 12Memory 15.51 GiB 12used 539.3 MiB (3.4%) 12Init systemd 12v 239 
           12Compilers 12gcc N/A 12Client Sudo 12v 1.8.26 12inxi 3.0.27 
Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          video-nvidia            2018.08.09               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Thanks a lot for your help guys

Here is a picture that looks better and it’s taken from the system without chroot

:rofl:

1 Like

more info:

lscpi | grep -E “VGA|3D”

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile] (rev a1)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/optimus.conf

Section "Module"
        Load "modesetting"
        EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSection

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivafb

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-drm.conf

options nvidia_drm modeset=1

/usr/local/bin/optimus.sh

#!/bin/sh

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

#!/bin/sh
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

xrandr --auto

you said you were doing this for i3 desktop environment, right? doesnt that use lightdm?

you followed the last step for both sddm and lightdm. its either or depending on which one it is. then delete the one thats not applicable.

1 Like

Yes but I installed gdm and sddm because it looks like the tutorial required it.

Should I get rid of them?

yes, get rid of gdm and sddm. i remember someone made a video tutorial that instructed to install all 3 sddm,lightdm,gdm because he misunderstood the tutorial. it happens, just get rid of anything you installed and also delete:
sudo rm /usr/local/share/optimus.desktop
sudo rm /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/optimus.desktop
sudo rm /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/optimus.desktop

your close, just have to fix a few mistakes

4 Likes

I have deleted those files with -Rs and now the reboot is kinda broken. Don’t know how to check what blocks it (ctrl alt F2 etc doesn’t work)edit: nevermind rebooting works again

Additionally, I think the problem it actually in the lightdm file. Almost everything is commented out, and there are two display-setup-script lines.

Do you mean something like this?

display-setup-script=/etc/lightdm/Xsetup
display-setup-script=/usr/local/bin/optimus.sh

Use one of them (comment out one of the two) and make sure the active one has the commands from the tutorial

#!/bin/sh

xrandr --auto
2 Likes

thats the one you want to remain.

then make it executable:
chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/optimus.sh
then

Now you have to get this to load in LightDM’s startup sequence, so edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and set

2 Likes

Damn … Same result
Followed everything you guys said (it was already done properly)

What about Mr grub? I didn’t change anything there

i checked my lightdm.conf from my gnome/lightdm install, the only display-setup-script should be this one below

[SeatDefaults]

i didnt see that in your lightdm.conf, and its needed for lightdm to know to start the optimus.sh script. without it=broken

please post output of:
cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

1 Like

We normally need some error messages and logs to advice on that. Nevertheless, you may need one or more of these

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" pcie_port_pm=off

but it’s better to provide logs

journalctl -b -p3
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log* | grep -E "(EE)\|(WW)"
cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf | grep -v ^#
1 Like

# General configuration
#
# start-default-seat = True to always start one seat if none are defined in the configuration
# greeter-user = User to run greeter as
# minimum-display-number = Minimum display number to use for X servers
# minimum-vt = First VT to run displays on
# lock-memory = True to prevent memory from being paged to disk
# user-authority-in-system-dir = True if session authority should be in the system location
# guest-account-script = Script to be run to setup guest account
# logind-check-graphical = True to on start seats that are marked as graphical by logind
# log-directory = Directory to log information to
# run-directory = Directory to put running state in
# cache-directory = Directory to cache to
# sessions-directory = Directory to find sessions
# remote-sessions-directory = Directory to find remote sessions
# greeters-directory = Directory to find greeters
# backup-logs = True to move add a .old suffix to old log files when opening new ones
# dbus-service = True if LightDM provides a D-Bus service to control it
#
[LightDM]
#start-default-seat=true
#greeter-user=lightdm
#minimum-display-number=0
#minimum-vt=7 # Setting this to a value < 7 implies security issues, see FS#46799
#lock-memory=true
#user-authority-in-system-dir=false
#guest-account-script=guest-account
#logind-check-graphical=false
#log-directory=/var/log/lightdm
run-directory=/run/lightdm
#cache-directory=/var/cache/lightdm
#sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/sessions:/usr/share/xsessions:/usr/share/wayland-sessions
#remote-sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions
#greeters-directory=$XDG_DATA_DIRS/lightdm/greeters:$XDG_DATA_DIRS/xgreeters
#backup-logs=true
#dbus-service=true

#
# Seat configuration
#
# Seat configuration is matched against the seat name glob in the section, for example:
# [Seat:*] matches all seats and is applied first.
# [Seat:seat0] matches the seat named "seat0".
# [Seat:seat-thin-client*] matches all seats that have names that start with "seat-thin-client".
#
# type = Seat type (local, xremote, unity)
# pam-service = PAM service to use for login
# pam-autologin-service = PAM service to use for autologin
# pam-greeter-service = PAM service to use for greeters
# xserver-backend = X backend to use (mir)
# xserver-command = X server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. X -special-option)
# xmir-command = Xmir server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. Xmir -special-option)
# xserver-config = Config file to pass to X server
# xserver-layout = Layout to pass to X server
# xserver-allow-tcp = True if TCP/IP connections are allowed to this X server
# xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and session
# xserver-hostname = Hostname of X server (only for type=xremote)
# xserver-display-number = Display number of X server (only for type=xremote)
# xdmcp-manager = XDMCP manager to connect to (implies xserver-allow-tcp=true)
# xdmcp-port = XDMCP UDP/IP port to communicate on
# xdmcp-key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 (stored in keys.conf)
# unity-compositor-command = Unity compositor command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. unity-system-compositor -special-option)
# unity-compositor-timeout = Number of seconds to wait for compositor to start
# greeter-session = Session to load for greeter
# greeter-hide-users = True to hide the user list
# greeter-allow-guest = True if the greeter should show a guest login option
# greeter-show-manual-login = True if the greeter should offer a manual login option
# greeter-show-remote-login = True if the greeter should offer a remote login option
# user-session = Session to load for users
# allow-user-switching = True if allowed to switch users
# allow-guest = True if guest login is allowed
# guest-session = Session to load for guests (overrides user-session)
# session-wrapper = Wrapper script to run session with
# greeter-wrapper = Wrapper script to run greeter with
# guest-wrapper = Wrapper script to run guest sessions with
# display-stopped-script = Script to run after stopping the display server (runs as root)
# greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
# session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
# session-cleanup-script = Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as root)
# autologin-guest = True to log in as guest by default
# autologin-user = User to log in with by default (overrides autologin-guest)
# autologin-user-timeout = Number of seconds to wait before loading default user
# autologin-session = Session to load for automatic login (overrides user-session)
# autologin-in-background = True if autologin session should not be immediately activated
# exit-on-failure = True if the daemon should exit if this seat fails
#
[Seat:*]
#type=local
#pam-service=lightdm
#pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
#pam-greeter-service=lightdm-greeter
#xserver-backend=
#xserver-command=X
#xmir-command=Xmir
#xserver-config=
#xserver-layout=
#xserver-allow-tcp=false
#xserver-share=true
#xserver-hostname=
#xserver-display-number=
#xdmcp-manager=
#xdmcp-port=177
#xdmcp-key=
#unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor
#unity-compositor-timeout=60
greeter-session=lightdm-slick-greeter
#greeter-hide-users=false
#greeter-allow-guest=true
#greeter-show-manual-login=false
#greeter-show-remote-login=true
user-session=i3
#allow-user-switching=true
#allow-guest=true
#guest-session=
session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession
#greeter-wrapper=
#guest-wrapper=
#display-setup-script=
#display-stopped-script=
#greeter-setup-script=
#session-setup-script=
#session-cleanup-script=
#autologin-guest=false
#autologin-user=
#autologin-user-timeout=0
#autologin-in-background=false
#autologin-session=
#exit-on-failure=false

#
# XDMCP Server configuration
#
# enabled = True if XDMCP connections should be allowed
# port = UDP/IP port to listen for connections on
# listen-address = Host/address to listen for XDMCP connections (use all addresses if not present)
# key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 or blank to not use authentication (stored in keys.conf)
# hostname = Hostname to report to XDMCP clients (defaults to system hostname if unset)
#
# The authentication key is a 56 bit DES key specified in hex as 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.  Alternatively
# it can be a word and the first 7 characters are used as the key.
#
[XDMCPServer]
#enabled=false
#port=177
#listen-address=
#key=
#hostname=

#
# VNC Server configuration
#
# enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
# command = Command to run Xvnc server with
# port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
# listen-address = Host/address to listen for VNC connections (use all addresses if not present)
# width = Width of display to use
# height = Height of display to use
# depth = Color depth of display to use
#
[VNCServer]
#enabled=false
#command=Xvnc
#port=5900
#listen-address=
#width=1024
#height=768
#depth=8

What does “(EE)|(WW)” do ?

remove that whole line i marked below

# guest-wrapper = Wrapper script to run guest sessions with
display-setup-script=/usr/local/bin/optimus.sh   <---------REMOVE 
# display-stopped-script = Script to run after stopping the display server (runs as root)

here is a part of my lightdm.conf so you know where to put it (i think this does matter)

#
# General configuration
#
# start-default-seat = True to always start one seat if none are defined in the configuration
# greeter-user = User to run greeter as
# minimum-display-number = Minimum display number to use for X servers
# minimum-vt = First VT to run displays on
# lock-memory = True to prevent memory from being paged to disk
# user-authority-in-system-dir = True if session authority should be in the system location
# guest-account-script = Script to be run to setup guest account
# logind-check-graphical = True to on start seats that are marked as graphical by logind
# log-directory = Directory to log information to
# run-directory = Directory to put running state in
# cache-directory = Directory to cache to
# sessions-directory = Directory to find sessions
# remote-sessions-directory = Directory to find remote sessions
# greeters-directory = Directory to find greeters
# backup-logs = True to move add a .old suffix to old log files when opening new ones
#

[SeatDefaults]

[LightDM]
#start-default-seat=true
#greeter-user=lightdm
#minimum-display-number=0

modify, save, reboot and if that doesnt do it, provide logs as @AgentS asked

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by