Unable to create io-slave for Mod Organizer 2

Whenever I try to download a mod directly off of Nexus using MO2, I get the error; “Unable to create io-slave. Unknown protocol ‘nxm’.”

I assume this has to do with what MimeType it is pointing to. So I went to system settings, searched for File Associations, and created what MimeType it was pointing to in applications, and named it “x-scheme-handler”, added the modorganizer2-nmx-broker.sh to the application preference order and added to the filename patterns both *.nxm and nxm, and done so both separately. Even after all of that, I still get the same error.

This is my "modorganizer2-nxm-handler.desktop file.

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Categories=Game;
Exec=/home/usr/.local/bin/modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh
Name=Mod Organizer 2 NXM Handler
MimeType=/application/x-scheme-handler/nxm;
NoDisplay=true

How would I go on to make sure that it can create an io-slave?

I should also add that I installed MO2 using Lutris and that I can launch MO2 just fine.

From the desktop file spec, have you tried:

Terminal=yes

and if that doesn’t help all by itself:

Exec=bash -c "/home/usr/.local/bin/modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh"

:thinking:

1 Like

Neither worked, still the same error.

If I change the exec to “modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh %u”, the error changes to;

Unknown error code 100
Could not find the program 'modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh'
Please send a full bug report at https://bugs.kde.org.

However that file does exist on my computer at /home/usr/.local/bin/.
What makes it unable to read into the broker.sh file?

Can you try copying the file to /usr/local/bin and then just calling it by its basename?
I.E.

:thinking:

1 Like

Apparently, it seems like it is able to be found while placed on /usr/local/bin, I have no clue why it’s not able to be found on /home/usr/.local/bin/ though.

The error has evolved into;

Unknown error code 100
The program 'modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh' was found at '/usr/local/bin/modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh' but it is missing executable permissions.
Please send a full bug report at https://bugs.kde.org.

How do I make it so that KIO can also read and execute from /home/usr/.local/bin/ or is it that the handler is written wrong and is executing it at the wrong place?

Current handler updated from above:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Categories=Game;
Exec=modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh %u
Name=Mod Organizer 2 NXM Handler
MimeType=/application/x-scheme-handler/nxm;
NoDisplay=true
Terminal=yes

Is it in your $PATH?

echo $PATH
1 Like

Yes it is.
$PATH command:

/home/usr/.local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/bin /opt/cuda/bin /opt/cuda/nsight_compute /opt/cuda/nsight_systems/bin /usr/lib/jvm/default/bin /usr/bin/site_perl /usr/bin/vendor_perl /usr/bin/core_perl

Yet still, it doesn’t search that area for it.

chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh
1 Like

I’m guessing that is how you turn off that path from being executable, but now since I did that, I now go back to the beginning and get the error:

“Unable to create io-slave. Unknown protocol ‘nxm’.”

How do I make it so that /home/usr/.local/bin works?

I don’t know:

• You’ve reached the end of my technical knowledge.
  • Please contact the developer of Mod organizer 2…

:sob:

1 Like

With what we did with changing the exec and all that was all apart of the same error system which was “KIOExec”, so I don’t think it has anything to do with MO2 and that we were on the right track… I just don’t know how to do what I want to do, so I am asking people who do.

It seemed like with the command that you wrote previously, it turned off that path from being able to be selected as a choice. How do you undo that so I can apply it to home/usr/.local/bin instead?

How do you revert chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh?

:grin:

chmod a-x /usr/local/bin/modorganizer2-nxm-broker.sh

For more info:

man chmod

:wink:

1 Like