Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

No wonder it took longer, lxqt + kde + xfce to download.

Yeah, this was a half hour ride (in total) but i think is decent time :slight_smile:

Yeah! Sorry for off-topic, but remeber what it takes with Windows.

Artix is a great effort to bring openrc S6 Runit to users
It is not upto you to criticise what they put on their blog its their OS not yours don’t like what you read then skip it, better still don’t use it you really just trolling.
Why would you try to upgrade its upto date after installing its a net install do you actualy know what net install means?

The installer does look as if it hangs but in reality it works just fine for me its a long haul with a very slow internet speed. and 5 hdds but all ius well that ends well great work by artoo and his team.

Doing it from the terminal with a wifi requires configuring wifi from the terminal and on a new system that is not always as easy. $ nmtui helps things unless verification by the server is a bit more complex than a passphrase.
I chose to leave all of LXQT out, but unless I made a mistake somewhere the DM came by default. I have never used arch, so it took a while to get a feel for things and how to configure aur access.
So I logged in expecting a terminal but instead I got a DM login screen without a desktop. I think ctrl alt F1 in most DMs gets you back out to the console.
I feel sorry for having to wack the nice artix graphics and replace them with boring lightdm non-graphics. After a couple of reboots I got where I wanted, having the availability of openbox and lxde but not having to bring them up everytime I log in.

Updates and upgrades have shown some minor upgrades, uneventful stuff. I am getting familiar with yaourt, (who called that thing a gui :slight_smile: or is this what a gui was back in DOS5.01?

By the way, pamac looked like crap in lxde out of the box, couldn’t even resize its window, and the functionality is weird. It is best used a browser for packages to write the commands in pacnan or yaourt. It can’t built anything from aur. While it tries to built is can do so as user, but needs sudo to install the made up pkg. Starting it as root does not allow building anything, too dangerous it says :slight_smile:

So much for universality of DE.

I’d say, you had a nice learning experience.
Its where manjaro shines, much efforts goes in styling and customizing various DEs. But, that is not the concept for artix, we’ll do much via installer, and repos will grow also. Pamac was added last night by chris, along with a full set of qt5.
His machine must have been molten, almost.

Well i’m a archer and Artix is arch based and as with arch works the same way, Its simple takes a bit of learning but then you really don’t want to do it any other way,
Now you have yaourt installed just type, yaourt office, in a terminal and see what results you get then you will see the power of the terminal and gradually back off from using things like pacmac

Sorry to actually ask a technical question using you artix spin have installed cinnamon.
I’ve installed nvidia-lts and nvidia-utils but no settings in menu and if run from terminal tells me it cant find the xorg-server.
Guess I’m missing something?

you need sudo pacman -S nvidia-settings

Thank you very much

I hear you and raise you some :slight_smile:

Well, I guess I have to say something. Good Luck but it is not for me. I like systemd and I really like KDE. So take care, I will miss some of posters. I always enjoyed your comments. I support Manjaro.
peace, out…

I’ll wait until october to see what it became. :disappointed_relieved:
The intentions are quite unclear for me right now.

I myself don’t understand at all why starting by killing such a nicely crafted distribution, just to reinvent the wheel from scratch (from the comments I foresee it will be a lot of work to get a fully fonctionnal DE like Maté or KDE on a laptop).
I am not even sure if over time it will stay Arch based.
no Pamac. No AUR?
It seems like you’re not interested in having users.

Good bye Manjaro, I just installed Antergos with systemd.
I just need a stable a system for work. that will last. Preferably non systemd.
But I can’t pay the latter by a huge amount of days fixing what should be off-the-self in 2017.

nadir, manjaro openrc was a never supported by manjaro, it is community edition by those kind enough to put their expertise behind it.

Im reading a lot of people having knee jerk reactions to this when in reality they should be patient and supportive and possibly help out if they can instead of being emotional wrecks.

Just my 2 cents.

What you are reading things all wrong artix has pacmac if you install the dam thing, it has AUR if you want it. These are total new user statements you are stating. Just because they are not installed by default, this is not “apple” “you will like what we give you” what it does not have is Manjaro tools it has artoo tools instead.
Manjaro is not going anywhere,
Openrc was only a unofficial side project by a few users nothing more now it wants to spread its wings and do its own thing.
I personally think Philm should of announced this then users would be in the loop of things and all would be very clear.

Last point Manjaro is systemd always has been always will be so all you have done is shoot yourself in the foot really by not getting the facts and blind panic

I wish i could make sense of it in a OpenRC topic …

Manjaro is a distro its systemd and always has been
openrc was a unofficial user project not supported by Manjaro.
I personally said at the time it should never been allowed to use the manjaro name as it causes confusion the same as the unofficial manjaro spins do. it should of been based on manjaro or inspired by manjaro to avoid the confusion we now have.

This is something that I don’t understand:

1. downloaded the ISO
  2. move it to SUSE USBImagewriter and
  3. “Sorry, I can’t write this ISO. You need to use another program to write it to a DVD.”

No problem for me to interact with dd, but I’ve just received the phone calls of 4 users, that I support, cause they are not able to master the Artix ISO on a USB key to do a test. Obviously all have Manjaro/Openrc installed.
I tried also with Gnome Disk Image writer (the goal is to offer them a gui approach and not to spell command by phone or to send mails with command to cut and paste), but the result is a USB unable to boot.

Why did you publish an ISO image different from all the others? With SUSE Imagewriter I was able to write an USB almost all the ISO out there. Please: evaluate this aspect or, tell the user which program to use to master the ISO, and not a generic unusable message.

Last but not least: when I connect at Sourceforge to download the ISO, I’ve the advice that the ISO is 674,5Mb. I downloaded it 2 times (this morning and half an hour ago) and I get 2 ISO: one of 635,1Mb and the last of 627,1Mb. Where is the problem?

Thank you.

Sorry guys for being negative.
I was a happy user of Manjaro Openrc for since the 15.x.
This was my main and only OS for work.

I quit using Manjaro because it is a lot - remember the update disaster with that elogind mess last june?

I used to recommend Manjaro to many people, when I do teaching activities. I sill will do.

ie Manjaro KDE is very good to use.
I know because a lot of students use it because of me.

time to bump this link.