Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

openrc
artix

No, I just want to share experience and issues with those installing and running artix till the official sites are announced.
It certainly doesn’t have anything to do with Manjaro anymore but since the installer is out people are trying it and need to meet and exchange ideas.

On the contrary I was very critical to the announcement as it was made that artix is a continuation of Manajaro-xfce-OpenRC, which it isn’t as far as I can tell.

I am also running and try to help the evolution of LXDE and in Artix there is no support, we are out on our own. Which can be fun in one way but a hustle if you one is all on his “own”.

One of the reasons I stayed with Manjaro was the good work that has been done in LXDE, while it has remained stagnant in other distributions, even though Manjaro doesn’t portray LXDE as an official desktop environment.

Of course, some will say, LXDE has evolved into perfection, why fix it. At least it seems not to be infected by systemd plague yet.

Lxde is a desktop environment fungilife, artix seems to be a linux operating system.

Is there a point to your comment?

Are you part of the Lxde dev team fungilife?

Artix is basically arch systemd free every thing you need to know is in the arch wiki.
You a creating the impression that artix has gone out on a limn it has not. artoo has already stated he is not going to be hand holding it follows the arch philosophy.
LXDE is simple to install and customise takes mins.
This i’m afraid is where a serious and a comedy distro part.
If a user can’t take a vanilla desktop and customise it on their own to their own then they should not be using Linux simple as that. Its all in the arch Wiki free to read. In fact it take 5 mins to turn a regualar arch install to Openrc why because config files have not been altered to suit some sort of hit and miss tools that need constantly updating to even work. The arch way is proven since 2002 reinventing the wheel brings complications,

I kind hate that Manjaro OpenRc is being discontinued but I understand why they did it. I use it on a spare machine so I’m thinking that I will start using Artix on that machine.

I think you have a very big misunderstanding here.
Technically, manjaro don’t support lxde either, since manjaro don’t build any DE, such packages come from arch upstream.
Effectively, you don’t lose any support you didn’t have to begin with. Styling a DE and putting it on install media is different than officialy supporting and building a DE, ie patching stuff like arch does.
A general misconception is, that linux would be tied to any specific DE. Its not, linux is what is beneath any DE layer that sits on top of linux.

I don’t disagree in anything you say here, with the exception of misunderstanding. Manjaro, Artix, Devuan, Fedora are linux systems. When a newcomer in linux looks at the market shelf they notice that they (out of the box installers) “support” certain architectures and certain DEs. Not even debian doesn’t have a complete list. There are others that only come in one DE, but except for networking, servers, sysadmin tools (grml, rescatux, etc.) they most likely do come with a DE.

In Manjaro, if one was a fan of LXDE a look at the forum showed that there is a good base for it.

I don’t want to get into what M-OpenRC in terms of functionality had different from M-official edition. It is not the place anymore. But there were several issues with functionality difference, despite of DE, but were evident to the DE user.

It is not a place to discuss gnome DE and its relation to the core system. I believe it would have been possible but it would be like a dog spinning around trying to catch its tail, running gnome on a systemd-free system. And there are gnome packages and libraries that many others are using. Soon you may lose mozilla to such a maze.

So, in fundamentals we agree, but in details there is a front beyond the core system, and that is to make what most people (users) use work in such a system.

Then there is the issue of artix, it comes with LXQT available on the installer, as ManjaroOrc came with xfce. Were people here because manjaro core system was better than arch? One look at / directory structure and you can tell it is different, but that is not why the overwhelming majority was here and not in arch.

I tried Artix. Honestly this is not at this time a daily driver. For this the distro needs to be upgradeable, which is not. This fall into a loop. There is very rough edges, some useful tools missing (that be great to ave something that can deal with AUR out of the box) and the miss of manja’ tools is present.

Maybe that’s a beta or alpha, don’t know. It’s not precised or I missed it somewhere

Then I clicked the link with “first informations” to see what will be the future of a well done distro that I tested to see what is openRC about. I felt into a 15-year-raging-boy blog (like a skyblog for the frenchies here that knows) against systemd.
How can a new project can be ported to public ears by such a immature writing? What is these guys behind it wants? That Linux will progress and diversify or that openRC remains a things of old raging nerds? They seriously needs to beat the meat sometimes and think about what is good for the distro and not their ego.

Another misconceptipon, that is not true.
lxqt openrc variant has also been present.
Anyway, we already expanded selection with cinnamon, you very same iso will have these changes, no need to download anew.
So I really don’t get you with the DE stuff, since DEs are available in the repos, and the installer will slowly expand on other DEs selectable. Hence we only gonna have one install media, and what DE runs on iso is basically meaningless.

Why not? Of course it is, just like arch.

We got artools, No need for manajro tools.

Do you volunteer to write a better guide how to transition?

There is a loop with a thing called “nss-myhostname” with this weekend’s ISO. Was this thing tested before give it a GO?

Good point. The addition of such tools is a time saver even for advanced users.

This is not a guide to transition, this is a kiddish raging about systemd and it’s users with bad Star Wars references. Since when in a transition guide you trash about the other thing’s users? And no, I’m not volunteering for such a disrespect for other users. I have nothing against systemd nor openRC users. I’m for linux popularization, not near-to-religion sectarism for… an init system (yeah that sound ridiculous because it is)

Maybe when the project will gain technical and mental maturity I will reconsider. Remember that it’s up to you and the team to convince people using the project and not people to convince themselves that this is a good one. And I don’t want to give lessons (ok a little) but insulting people using systemD is not a great way to make ppl look at this project

I read you raging here. Full stop.
The guide contains valuable information, and if you are liberated from humor, I feel sorry for you.

I don’t get you here. nss-myhostname is in world repo.

I think the team needs some communication skills. “private jokes” (yeah that is this type of humor I think) never helped to popularize a project. If this project is only for some tenth or a little hundreds of openRC-holics, in this case my confuses. But at first I knew manja’ openRC was to present and popularize another init system (which it was good at, btw).

Full stop? I may be rough but I provided useful hints behind all this rage. Call it a draw

Basically (i’m not at home so I can’t do it precisely now)
1-After installing, tried to upgrade
2-After -Syyu, pacman asks me to replace nss-myhostame by another nss-myhostname, typed y
3-Artix proceeds, and I got a prompt after
4-Doing -Syyu again, same that part 2.

Good communications skills would be to thank you for testing and reporting and ignore the rest.
And thank you and your collegues for making the EU a better place!

You welcome (but the rest ain’t nonsense too :wink: )

No Problem :v:

Wish I’d read these instructions before attempting to migrate my Manjaro openrc laptop. I attempted the migration from the instructions quoted and screwed it up. My fault as I carried out commands that were not in the instructions.

I also tried to install from the ISO using Calamaris but failed. The progress bar didn’t get past 25%

You best start calamares in the terminal, this way you will see that it doesn’t hang but downloads the current packages (it’s a net install) while progress bar staying at 21%. If it really hangs you can post the terminal output and the devs will look into it.
sudo -E calamares -d

I also noticed it took some time between 21-25% in a vm, just be patient, it will succeed.

I did a VBox install (for now) and had no issues. It does take longer, but it doesn’t hang. Also all went smooth and now i have XFCE, KDE alongside with LXQt Desktop. Is a bit more work to get things the way i like, but i see no issue. If i understood correctly and @artoo will add more DE options in Calamares during install, it will be perfect for everybody (even those that didn’t understood yet why the move towards Artix).
As a side note, if wasn’t for the Manjaro OpenRC i wouldn’t touch it, but now i love OpenRC more and more.
Best regards!