Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

openrc
artix

I’ve installed the iso and additional the KDE plasma desktop.
Everythiing works fine but there is one issue:

Everytime I make an update with

I get the following question:

Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung... . :: nss-myhostname durch world/nss-myhostname ersetzen? [J/n] j Löse Abhängigkeiten auf... Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen... . Pakete (2) nss-myhostname-0.3-1 nss-myhostname-0.3-1 [Entferne] . Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete: 0,04 MiB Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung: -0,04 MiB . :: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] j (1/1) Prüfe Schlüssel im Schlüsselring [#############################################################] 100% (1/1) Überprüfe Paket-Integrität [#############################################################] 100% (1/1) Lade Paket-Dateien [#############################################################] 100% (1/1) Prüfe auf Dateikonflikte [#############################################################] 100% (2/2) Überprüfe verfügbaren Festplattenspeicher [#############################################################] 100% :: Verarbeite Paketänderungen... (1/1) Entferne nss-myhostname [#############################################################] 100% Fehler: Konnte Datenbank-Eintrag nss-myhostname-0.3-1 nicht entfernen Fehler: Konnte Eintrag 'nss-myhostname' nicht aus dem Puffer entfernen (1/1) Installiere nss-myhostname

What can Ido to eliminate this?

By the way, world/nss-myhostname is already installed

[roberto@artix ~]$ pacman -Ss nss-myhostname world/nss-myhostname 0.3-1 [Installiert]

Sorry, I was too slow, the question has already been asked.

Mea culpa :pensive:

why doing that? OpenRC is very good already.
It has all we need, IMHO people behind artix should focus & improve.
We just need an init system that respects the Linux standards (clear text, config files, doing only one thing…).

OpenRC is fast, easy to read…
we don’t need different.

:+1:

pamac is not easy to build, so thank you :wink:

Oo you thought OpenRC is fast. Runit and S6 blows it out of the water in start up speed. S6 is faster. I have used runit. And just simple. Get you to tty as fast or faster then systemd. OpenRC kinda lag behind by 2.5 to 3 sec on my ssd compare to systemd. One thing I can give props to OpenRC for its sane command line. Runit and S6 are kinda the same. Where it more static links.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/s6-supervision-software-suite/26097?source_topic_id=28387

Okay.

I should have said “fast enough” :wink:

(when you activate parallel boot it is fast enough on a ssd laptop)

HELP! grub can’t find /sbin/init! i’ve tried to run grub-install and mkinitcpio multiple times (from openrc-arch iso chroot).

@artoo
do you see the post from @nadir about openrc or s6.

This is what i mean when i said that the repo and the spin builded with the repo need to be on different part. one github and ftp repo for the main package and after the spin do what it need to do.
So if the spin employ openrc or s6 or runit or whatever, the spin maintain their own package (openrc, runit, s6) but the main package like util-linux, libinput etc are for all the spin. Then a spin can rebuild some main package for their own usage like the kernel if it necessary.
so in the pacman.conf :

[spin]
[main package]
[core]
[extra]

simple architecture but efficient…

for example pamac i have no place in the main package repo, this is concern the spin. again this is my point of view.

Do you use uefi or bios grub?

I would assume you still have arch grub installed regardless of above question.

Reinstall the grub package, and then install the grub manually and issue appropriate command for bios or uefi.

We got slightly different concept.

We got a complete system(core) repo, and arch’s core repo is disabled.

What we need to do in my view, we need a modular repo based base group, which is what you also propose. A way to have a base group for openrc, or s6 or runit.
What we share is a base-devel group from system repo, since this is init independent.

I would propose I move openrc builds in a separate openrc git branch, and we could also add an runit or s6 branch. We can isolate init specific builds in branches temporarily, so the artix branch comes up as a shared init independent (“nosystemd”) branch.

Regarding @nadir post, openrc can work with s6 or runit as init as well as supervisor for openrc. Atm, openrc uses its entirely own init and supervision.

@artoo for some strange reason i was missing the openrc package???

I just tried artix on a Vb, very nice, im impressed. Good luck for the future of this project.

And, maybe Octopi??:grinning:

Best regards.

@artoo: what is the plan for the manjaro-openrc packages? Should we clean them up and remove them with our next stable update-pack or do you still plan to update those?

Hopefully more time will be given for current Manajro openrc users to determine their next step, pulling the rug out from under them next stable update seems a little unfair.

I thought the proposed timetable was for openrc to be removed same time as i686?

Only if it is still maintained in some kind of way …

Has @artoo cleaned out his desk already?

We’ve been dumped by text :laughing: , and he is already living with his next girlfriend.

So, let’s have some patience.

New day new energy.
If you install pamac into artix in order to utilize the AUR repo’s you have a problem. If you run as user you do not have the rights to finally install the compiled binaries. If you run as root you are prevented for doing it because that is a security violation.
So, eventually I downloaded yaourt and dependencies, built the whole thing, and successfully used it to download and install a pkg.

This is not over, pamac (which is nice to use for browsing) will not show the installed pkg that yaourt built! :slight_smile:

I may be missing the one technical detail that covers this agony, but it is some thought for food (or whatever).

If you have the package presumable pacman -U can install it and thereby monitor it, but only if it has access to the AUR,
might be catch 22 I don’t know.