Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

O yes their is pacman -S nvidia-304xx-lts nvidia-304-utils all their + opencl just search nvidia in extra

Oh wow, I’m away for a couple of weeks and this happens.

So I have read through most of this thread but there are a few things I would like clarified.

Without the MSM how will I be able to handle my multiple kernels? Will there be multiple kernels available through Artix?
If Artix is only providing the core system where do I go if a non-core package such as steam breaks?
If Artix is trying to provide a core for those using both the Manjaro and Arch repos won’t there be times when there will be incompatibilities due to the differing times that packages are tested for and so there being different versions in use?
Will packages be closer to the Arch or Manjaro timelines in terms of the amount of testing they have gone through?
Will this be like Manjaro where the kernel has been optimised for desktop performance or like Arch where than has been no optimisation?

I am sorry for the amount of questions (and that there will likely be more) but I would like to avoid breaking my system if possible :slight_smile:

Best to think of Artix as Arch with non systemd init. Artix is not Manjaro, only similarity is both downstream Arch distros.

Artix Way == Arch Way.

That was the general impression I got from this thread. However the migration guide states that you can keep the Manjaro repos so I am still unclear on the fine details of these things. Plus I have never run x86 Arch, so I don’t have that experience to fall back upon unlike some.

If you use manjaro artix hybrid, I think (without in depth knowledge or testing) that you might want to keep mhwd and manjaro-settings-manager. This might be okay if you are on unstable branch and put artix repos above manjaro ones, so you get all the dublicate packages from artix repos.

If you don’t keep manjaro software/repos, you should not keep manjaro kernels either, because you can’t update them. In that case, just use artix kernel, which should be mostly the same as arch kernel.

I’m thinking about jumping over to (Manjaro) unstable as a first step, on the partition I care most about.

Swapping out kernels appears to be part of the migration process as currently written. That one and a decision on whether to keep mwhd and the settings manager will happen when there’s no other option …

So I have been trying to read up on all the talk here on the switch (which is a lot seeing as I am late to the party and the amount of flaming going on from both sides). From what I have read it seems that what I need to do is:

0: switch to Unstable and then wait a week or two without updating (which seems counterproductive and is a big jump from stable).
1: edit pacman repo list to add Artix core and extra, deactivate Manjaro core repo, keep Manjaro extra but behind Artix extra in priority.
2: remove most Manjaro specific packages (but possibly not msm and mhwd?)
3: run a full update.
(4: multilib is not decided upon what will happen, maybe I can keep it, maybe not.)

Can one of the people who have had a successful migration (or preferably @artoo himself) confirm this or point out any mistakes I have made? Some of the advice I have seen seems contradictory and I am aware that the best course may have changed since people started talking about this. I really would prefer not to break my system too much.

Alternatively, should I just stick with Manjaro OpenRC until it is officially discontinued and there has been time for all of this to settle and the best course to be determined?

MSM and mhwd in particular. You can keep Pamac or Octopi.
The reference for migration of a Manjaro install is this:

@artoo, can you put this link in your OP, please?

I’ll do that. That’s done.

Seems this made news.

I was going off what Chrysostomus said earlier

and I think I saw someone else say something similar elsewhere, but I am not sure where and don’t want to dig through the myriad threads again. As for Pamac and Octopi, I don’t use them.

For the time being I think I will try the migration in a VM or two and hold off on any changes on metal for at least a week or so.

It did a straight to metal new install quess what it installed and worked fine none of the Manjaro bloat cinnamon excels its self.
But yes wait a week or 2 no hurry.

Well seems you got luckier than me. My test in a VM will only boot to console now, could be that Artix is using the 4.9 kernel or because I (again) forgot to install the guest drivers, both have been issues with VMs for me in the past. Also had a weird bit where it would only update if I deleted pacman-mirrors and replaced it with artix-mirrorlist, didn’t see any mention of the in the migration guide, but could likely be due to a ■■■■ up on my part. On that topic though, the migration guide could do with some improvement to be clearer where alternative sections begin and end.

Mesa like

Their is a up to date Guide on github they say much easier to understand, I also had that problem on the 1st ISO the openrc-displaymanager was not configured nothing to do with the kernel If it was the kernel it would not boot end of.

I meant that I have had problems before where 4.9 did not boot to display in a VM where 4.10 and 4.11 did.

Which guide do you mean? If you mean that is the one I used.

For VB you need to install: galaxy/virtualbox-guest-modules-artix

Sure you can have AUR -(As Artoo has stated in somewhat different words)

Yeah that fixed it. Going to play with it some more now.

Pamac with AUR support is now in the repo’s.