Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

openrc
artix

@artoo. Can I have your blessing on an official unofficial forum that I could create on a free board someplace?

Thanks for posting the migration guide at https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/ i hope its updated.

It looks very current, it has my suggestions from yesterday’s testing.

@artoo

I need to know who made this site. Because this is just beautiful looking. It rare to find a site that even scale will on my 1440p monitor. But this just work will. Sure this will fit better on a 1080p monitor. But it still does not feel so bad on my 1440p monitor.

Thank you for this. I am attempting to use the latest Artix ISO & Calamares for a clean install with full disk encryption and the following errors come up shortly after it downloads & installs all packages. Seems to be an issue with how Calamares is configured and encryption of the swap partition.

**Installation Failed**

Boost.Python error in job "luksopenswaphookcfg".
<class 'FileNotFoundError'>
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/calamares-root-fgm6sdrh/etc/openswap.conf'
Traceback:
  File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/luksopenswaphookcfg/main.py", line 84, in run
    partitions, root_mount_point, openswap_conf_path

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/luksopenswaphookcfg/main.py", line 48, in write_openswap_conf
    openswap_conf_path), 'r') as openswap_file:

And the following outputs to terminal…

03:16:46 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-fgm6sdrh", "locale-gen") 
03:16:48 [0]: Finished. Exit code: 0 
locale.gen done
03:16:48 [0]: Starting job "luksopenswaphookcfg" 
03:16:48 [1]: Job "luksopenswaphookcfg" -> "This module sets up the openswap hook for a resumable encrypted swap." 
03:16:48 [1]: tbMsg "  File &quot;/usr/lib/calamares/modules/luksopenswaphookcfg/main.py&quot;, line 84, in run\n    partitions, root_mount_point, openswap_conf_path\n\n  File &quot;/usr/lib/calamares/modules/luksopenswaphookcfg/main.py&quot;, line 48, in write_openswap_conf\n    openswap_conf_path), 'r') as openswap_file:\n" 
03:16:48 [0]: Installation failed: 
03:16:48 [0]: - message: "Boost.Python error in job \"luksopenswaphookcfg\"." 
03:16:48 [0]: - details: "<div><strong>&lt;class 'FileNotFoundError'&gt;</strong></div><div>[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/calamares-root-fgm6sdrh/etc/openswap.conf'</div><div>Traceback:</div><div><pre>  File &quot;/usr/lib/calamares/modules/luksopenswaphookcfg/main.py&quot;, line 84, in run\n    partitions, root_mount_point, openswap_conf_path\n\n  File &quot;/usr/lib/calamares/modules/luksopenswaphookcfg/main.py&quot;, line 48, in write_openswap_conf\n    openswap_conf_path), 'r') as openswap_file:\n</pre></div>" 
03:16:48 [0]: Calamares will quit when the dialog closes. 
03:16:48 [1]: FinishedViewStep::onActivate() 
03:16:48 [1]: FinishedPage::setUpRestart() 
03:18:34 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread
03:18:34 [0]: QBasicTimer::start: QBasicTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread

It migth have something to do with this? https://github.com/calamares/calamares/wiki/LUKS-Deployment

Configuring Calamares for full disk encryption

Check whether you have all the dependencies listed above (as well as all the usual Calamares dependencies), then proceed as described below, depending on your initramfs management system:

mkinitcpio (e.g., Arch Linux)

If your system has mkinitcpio:

use Calamares 2.3 or later,
deploy the mkinitcpio-openswap package to your rootfs image,
uncomment the luksbootkeyfile and luksopenswaphookcfg modules in settings.conf.

It does, I am very sorry, we didn’t have time to include lúks suport yet.
Will add it the weekend.

I wish you the best with the new distro Artix.

Despite this, I disagree with the creation of another fork of an existent distro.
This move conduce only of a bigger fragmantation of GNU/Linux community.

A better decision would be, in my opinion, to create a separate repository for openrc, that could be used by all Arch based distros, and only after that, create your own Arch-based distros, with openrc by default, if you like.

All of this is a consequence of the blind-mentality of the main mother distros, like Arch and Debian: they prefer to just impose the functions that they want and delete the function than they don’t want, instead of listen to the community, and to let join in their team the peoples that want to mantain these functions.
So, instead the creation of Devuan and Antix, Debian and Arch should invite the teams behind their systemd forks to join their teams for mantain a different init system.

I don’t think you are upto date Artix its Artix not Antix 2 different OSs, is creating a multy repository for all arch users its based on arch not manjaro. The arch wiki covers openrc and runit, just does not support directly anything not systemd. I agree that a os should only put its time and effort into one init other wise you get, the them and us syndrome.
It has already started in Manjaro not only with inits, but also with desktops why do you think the top Distributions only fully support one desktop one init, they still allow option the arch wiki gives step by step instructions to convert to openrc or runit as does Debian

I’m going to explore Artix in a virtual machine at some point, to see if I want to migrate over from my current Manjaro setup (XFCE OpenRC 17.0.2 Gellivara).

However as a fallback, if I can successfully install mabox that would be great, but a completely newbie question here (and I’ve not yet read the migration guide), if there a way to switch a OpenRC setup to Systemd?

Thanks!

Just install systemd, libsystemd, and systemd-sysvcompat

sudo pacman -S systemd libsystemd systemd-sysvcompat

And if you have a nonsystemd packages switch back to the normal one

Anyway it’s just a matter of switching packages…pacman will handle the rest

Issues logging into "new" systemd setup after switching from OpenRc
Switching from OpenRC to SystemD
[Stable Update] 2017-09-16 - Kernels, Mesa, VirtualBox, Pamac, KDE, GCC, Removal of OpenRC

@thefallenrat.

Thanks for the tip and for the uber-fast reply :grin:

I’m hoping that I can get Mabox installed, but thanks for the super-simple “Plan B”

Looks like maybe @salome may have stated “Antix” instead of “Artix”, and you may have responded to the error.
While I can agree with points made by @salome, the reality dictates differently.

Best regards.

Artix is no manjaro fork.

That is what we are doing, but you can’t just drop in openrc alone.
We build apparently a forked arch without systemd by joing little small projects who all did the same essentially.

That is the reality of the situation. I have converted my unstable branch Manjaro over to Artix Linux and it was relatively easy to do, and it is working very well.:grinning:
I am wondering about how long it will be feasible to keep the Manjaro “extra” and “community” repos??
Ty for your hard work and dedication.

Best regards

You can basically drop them now as far as I know artix has already dropped Arch core they are moving fast and improvements are on a daily basis. not using KDE at the moment but i can say cinnamon is very very snappy to use

since we are now equipped with abuild server, all options are on the table regarding packages.
arch core is disabled, but you will need extra and community for a while.
before we think building DEs, we need to complete the build library packages necessary first. Its gonna take a while until we can drop extra.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Artix linux-lts not detecting Ethernet, only Wifi

Ty @artoo…I will stand by with extra and community.:wink:

Best regards.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Artix linux-lts not detecting Ethernet, only Wifi

Artix linux-lts not detecting Ethernet, only Wifi

I used this guide https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/ to manage a conversion from Manjaro/Openrc (previously I used the infos in the first post) and all look like, despite th nvidia-304 driver.

Where can I find the nvidia-304 driver for the linux-lts kernel? There are so much version that I’m a little bit confused… :slight_smile:

Thank you.