Manjaro OpenRC 17.0.2 Xfce ISO [beta]

If you take a lot from people in one go they will fight you for it. If you just take a little bit at a time most people can’t be bothered to make a fuss over one small thing, so you take one small thing at a time till they have nothing. Its what governments have done for decades.

1 Like

I see the same password prompt on shutdown & restart as well.

Does Plymouth work on this release? I installed it with a theme, added “splash” to the grub entry - and no joy. I may want to deploy this on my wife’s computer and the “wall of text” makes her nervous. I had to add it to MX Linux just for that reason. Personally, I could care less but you have to keep your “customers” happy…

Did you also add it to the “mkinitcpio” hooks?

Yup. I see it included when I run the mkinitcpio rebuild - but it boots in text mode. Likely something to do with OpenRC and I’ll have to make do without it…

Just tried it in Cinnamon and plymouth works but had to add it to mkinitcpio hooks and add splash to grub then updated both of them. One other thing as well as plymouth I installed plymouth-theme-manjaro-cinnamon

Got it to work using plymouth-theme-manjaro. I had tried others and likely that was the issue…

Just wanted to give the developer a BIG thumbs up as this is a great spin. Yes, there have been minor issues, but overall I am very impressed. I miss the capability to turn my installed system to a bootable ISO (can do with MX-Linux & PCLinusOS) but I found a workaround using FSArchiver and my trusty Parted Magic USB stick. I test systems on a spare drive then if I’m happy, I move the configured system to a main drive. Having a bootable ISO of the installed system makes this very easy but Parted Magic and FSArchiver works as well so far. I just used them to load my tweaked system to the main drive on this computer and all is running well…

1 Like

What if it’s already a losing battle? It seems only a small group are actually protesting this. I don’t agree with this direction, which is why I’m here, but I’m not convinced creating niche distros without systemd or pulseaudio would change it, especially if said distros end up becoming very inconvenient to use. Maybe it’s time to consider FreeBSD? Or stop using computers altogether? :laughing:

Anyway, I still feel conflicted but I voted ALSA-only even though I do miss FF. I’m gonna try the latest Pale Moon from the AUR and see if my experience is any better. Although, the developer of Pale Moon is willing to make PulseAudio a hard dependency if needed.

[quote=“Moonchild”]ALSA may be present in every linux distro, but it is also a low-level system API. Compare it to talking directly to a video driver instead of using DirectX – it’s not “too difficult”, but rather “too complex”, and asking the browser to take on the task already filled by PulseAudio. It makes sense to remove direct ALSA support if PulseAudio is expected to be available, even more so on an O.S. that tends to have frequent and uncoordinated updates of system libraries and the kernel. You want an abstraction layer in that case.

So yes, moving to PulseAudio is a logical and desired step at this point.[/quote]

Freebsd already uses pulseaudio/oss time you moved moved on with life,

Still only the two issues:

password prompt on shutdown or restart

can’t load a kernel in MSM

All else is working perfectly…

No need to get Pale Moon from AUR; it’s in the Manjaro repositories as palemoon-bin

Thanks for the tip. An update was just released a few days ago which hasn’t yet appeared in the repos.

It’s in the unstable branch repos now…

1 Like

You seem to be content with whatever they throw at you.
Pulseaudio is not desirable in many applications but it doesn’t affect you so you don’t care.

1 Like

That is true that is why I use S6 far cleaner than openrc no shims, and pulse systemd free but who am I anyway.

Unfortunately looks like it is. I voted for alsa only just as a way of protest.
However I do like hybrid solution which I tried before this beta was announced. It works for me and I would support it.

You must be one of those people who tell us salt is bad for you but you consume it in large amounts because you know it’s good for you?

I prefer to use ALSA directly, but can’t seem to find any compelling & current arguments that PulseAudio is worth avoiding. I’m not a coder, so I don’t know how complex working with ALSA is, but if it’s genuinely creating an unneeded challenge for devs I will reconsider my stance. PA is simple enough to ignore if you don’t want to use it, and my experience using it the last couple years has been OK.

I don’t know what salt has to do with it. But for your information I don’t and never have taken salt it causes high blood pressure. So the FUD stops here, why stop using anything that restricts your pleasure. I don’t like anti-lock brakes on cars but why would I restrict myself to a pre 80s car?
Same with alsa its old does not do the job very well has not been developed for years apart from security updates, OSS was far superior in every way and sounded better, pulse makes alsa usable in post 2000.

• you don’t seem to know what S6 is well like openrc/systemd they can all do the same thing if required by developers where S6/openrc fail is they restrict the user experience. FUD uses the arguments that systemd does more than it needs to that is true only in the fact that software developers are to dam lazy to write start programs for what they develop and ask systemd to do it for them. :heart_eyes:
    But if openrc/S6 was the norm it would be the same as they are both management suites and can be made to do the same as systemd. So for now we have choices I use openrc with XFCE4, S6, with Window managers and Systemd with KDE/Gnome as they just work out the box with the latest software and play nice together.:grin:

I can also write without throwing childish insults at anybody that disagrees with my opinion, can you do the same? :rage:

I don’t know how I insulted you. Using salt analogy I wanted to say that you are telling us to move along and accept pulse/systemd while at the same time you are using alternatives (you see I do know what s6 is).
Like I said in other reply to you, using pulse doesn’t affect you so you don’t care. Obviously you don’t have good discernment for sound (now don’t take this as an insult too!).

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark