Manjaro OpenRC 17.0.2 Xfce ISO [beta]

Not sure how to respond to the poll. Pale Moon is fine overall, but can be fairly annoying as well. I’ve been adjusting to using it but find myself missing modern Firefox. It’s nice to hear it’s running more smoothly with recent versions. Then again, maybe it’s not Pale Moon, but all the bloat and useless “evolving” technology on popular websites that’s the problem. Still quite a shame FF decided PulseAudio only :slightly_frowning_face: Installing & running apulse would feel like I’m just putting a band aid on it.

IMO, it seems the amount of software at the moment that’s actually dependent on systemd or pulseaudio is small. I imagine if it increased you’d get more dissent and more people inspired to do something about it. Maybe not :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Just installed this and it is great! A question though, it won’t let me upgrade the kernel - is this normal?

(In the Kernel app in the Manjaro Settings Manager)

After you install kernel in your MSM, you can switch kernel by reboot and the select your preferred kernel in GRUB…

It would not let me install in MSM although I dd install with the regular add/remove program. In MSM it just did nothing…

Another small but serious (to me) problem. If I connect my Samsung tablet by cable, it shows up in the places list on Thunar but I can’t access it. I move stuff (mainly books) all the time so this is something I need to work. I see the usual MTP support is already installed so II’m at a loss. This works in MX-Linux and PCLinuxOS (my two main distros until today) and I didn’t have to install anything special.

Any help?

Maybe this might help with your tablet?

And try starting manjaro-settings-manager in a terminal and see if you get any errors.

2 Likes

Cimmaronline beat me to it. There are a number of threads from the last few months about mounting issues. The one he pointed to is a good start.

The probable reason that MX and PCL are working is that most of the Debian-based nosystemd distros haven’t chosen to move ahead with a real alternative (like OpenRC), but are still basically running sysvinit, and shimming their way around systemd dependencies.

I think that’s even true of Devuan, so far, though they’ve begun conversations on their forums about s6 and runit and OpenRC as longer-term alternatives.

1 Like

Thanks, adding the package and myself to the group did the trick.

I ran settings manager from a terminal and no messages. When I select install in MSM Kernel, it just says 100% and done - without doing anything…

For now i only test it (continue testing) on VBox. No issues so far and all went smooth, from install to updates … Sound is working fine. For some reason i find it more responsive than the stable release … way more responsive …
One thing i noticed, and maybe you know that already, the Restart invokes the password window just for a moment then the restart takes place normally. Love it so far!

If you take a lot from people in one go they will fight you for it. If you just take a little bit at a time most people can’t be bothered to make a fuss over one small thing, so you take one small thing at a time till they have nothing. Its what governments have done for decades.

1 Like

I see the same password prompt on shutdown & restart as well.

Does Plymouth work on this release? I installed it with a theme, added “splash” to the grub entry - and no joy. I may want to deploy this on my wife’s computer and the “wall of text” makes her nervous. I had to add it to MX Linux just for that reason. Personally, I could care less but you have to keep your “customers” happy…

Did you also add it to the “mkinitcpio” hooks?

Yup. I see it included when I run the mkinitcpio rebuild - but it boots in text mode. Likely something to do with OpenRC and I’ll have to make do without it…

Just tried it in Cinnamon and plymouth works but had to add it to mkinitcpio hooks and add splash to grub then updated both of them. One other thing as well as plymouth I installed plymouth-theme-manjaro-cinnamon

Got it to work using plymouth-theme-manjaro. I had tried others and likely that was the issue…

Just wanted to give the developer a BIG thumbs up as this is a great spin. Yes, there have been minor issues, but overall I am very impressed. I miss the capability to turn my installed system to a bootable ISO (can do with MX-Linux & PCLinusOS) but I found a workaround using FSArchiver and my trusty Parted Magic USB stick. I test systems on a spare drive then if I’m happy, I move the configured system to a main drive. Having a bootable ISO of the installed system makes this very easy but Parted Magic and FSArchiver works as well so far. I just used them to load my tweaked system to the main drive on this computer and all is running well…

1 Like

What if it’s already a losing battle? It seems only a small group are actually protesting this. I don’t agree with this direction, which is why I’m here, but I’m not convinced creating niche distros without systemd or pulseaudio would change it, especially if said distros end up becoming very inconvenient to use. Maybe it’s time to consider FreeBSD? Or stop using computers altogether? :laughing:

Anyway, I still feel conflicted but I voted ALSA-only even though I do miss FF. I’m gonna try the latest Pale Moon from the AUR and see if my experience is any better. Although, the developer of Pale Moon is willing to make PulseAudio a hard dependency if needed.

[quote=“Moonchild”]ALSA may be present in every linux distro, but it is also a low-level system API. Compare it to talking directly to a video driver instead of using DirectX – it’s not “too difficult”, but rather “too complex”, and asking the browser to take on the task already filled by PulseAudio. It makes sense to remove direct ALSA support if PulseAudio is expected to be available, even more so on an O.S. that tends to have frequent and uncoordinated updates of system libraries and the kernel. You want an abstraction layer in that case.

So yes, moving to PulseAudio is a logical and desired step at this point.[/quote]

Freebsd already uses pulseaudio/oss time you moved moved on with life,

Still only the two issues:

password prompt on shutdown or restart

can’t load a kernel in MSM

All else is working perfectly…

No need to get Pale Moon from AUR; it’s in the Manjaro repositories as palemoon-bin

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark