Manjaro OpenRC 16.10.2 ISO

community-edition
openrc

This is a development release.

Major changes:

• Kernel upgraded from Linux 4.4 to Linux 4.8 (to better support new devices).
  • Pulseaudio added (reason explained later).

Packages include:

• Linux 4.8.9
  • OpenRC 0.22.4
  • Eudev 3.2.0
  • ConsoleKit2 1.1.0

Packages added:

• hardinfo (graphical system information).
  • ffmpegthumbnailer (video thumbnails in Thunar).

Reasons for adding pulseaudio:

On an Intel Broadwell laptop, sound did not work by default. On installing pulseaudio it worked.

The reason was that two audio devices were detected, Intel HDMI and Intel PCH; Intel HDMI was selected as the default device even though the HDMI cable was not connected.

After setting default device to Intel PCH in Alsa as described in http://superuser.com/questions/626606/how-to-make-alsa-pick-a-preferred-sound-device-automatically, sound worked in ALSA as well.

Hence I included Pulseaudio to provide better out of the box functionality.

Users who do not want it can disable it by:

• Removing it from startup (program is start-pulseaudio-x11), AND / OR
  • Removing it from the system (sudo pacman -Rs pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa pavucontrol xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin).

Issues:

Download:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro-openrc/files/16.10.2/

• Include pulseaudio
  • Do not include pulse, ALSA is enough

0 voters

Manjaro OpenRC 17.0 Xfce ISO [RC]

Both torrents x86_64 and i686 seem inactive. :sob:
Is it possible to trick Transmission, download the ISO directly and tell Transmission that the file is already there?
Update: It seems to work, first download the ISO directly, then start a torrent download, then in Transmission use "Set Location“ and select "Local data is already there“, then run "Verify local data“ and you can seed.

Instead of including pulsaudio, why not include asoundconf package which does the job of choosing default card by simple one click.

Indeed, I didnt know about asoundconf :slight_smile:

However, there are still a couple of issues with asoundconf:

• It is available via AUR (to include it in the ISO I would need to ask one of the community maintainers to package it).
  • Users would need to set their preferred sound card maunally if the default one is not working.

Advantages of including pulseaudio are that it can work out of the box, can automatically switch between HDMI and inbuilt audio depending on whats plugged in (not tried it myself), and many commonly used programs depend on pulseaudio nowadays.

Moreover removing it seems not too difficult in my opinion, at least on Arch / Manjaro.

Hence I think including it by default seems more reasonable, if it causes issues or majority of the users dont want it, then I can remove it.

Thanks.
I have two sound cards and from my experience pulseaudio never chose proper card by default, I had to set it manually all the time. Sometimes that got reset as well, so I had to set it again. Hence my suggestion. If you have to set it manually using pulseaudio, why not use asoundconf instead. Using pulseaudio is like using cannon to shoot a fly.
As you can tell I am dead against both pulseaudio and systemd. They are designed to take control of what was to be free and open software - Linux.
Thanks for fighting this crude attack on freedom of choice.

Point noted, have added a poll in the Original Post.

I’m not crazy about pulseaudio either. But I need it for several applications (skype, to pick up a usb webcam microphone; avidemux; blueman), so I think it’s worth having it installed. I wrote scripts to start pulseaudio when I run these applications, and kill it when I close them.

As you say, it’s easy enough to disable it or remove it, if desired.

I’m just wondering: what’s wrong with pulseaudio?
ti does the job. Personnaly I don’t care, provided it has the same functionalty & provide a mean to set volume per application which is very convenient.

It does not use your hardware directly. It’s software layer relying on alsa. It’s just digitized sound, doesn’t sound natural, it’s dull and flat.
Having said that, I can’t understand why alsa cannot provide user friendly functionality that this contraption of software has.

@aaditya
Just wanted to let you know that your work is really appreciated.

Not really a fan of XFCE, but it’s still OK to set stuff up.
After switching the WM to wingo (tiling) and only using XFCE4-PANEL I’m digging it :smiley:

Keep up your good work.

klaatu

/etc/asound.conf

defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.timer.card 1

Has worked for awhile for me on PC’s that have normal sound outputs but can output to HDMI as well (and by default without jacksense) so you must change it or have no sound.

In fact getting deeper into Linux I haven’t had anything else, all my PC’s have had HDMI outputs by default
which go unused and no jacksense.

The default sound card should be 0 (HDMI output) and changing it to 1 here changes it to the normal outputs.

Provide it by default (at device 0) and add a comment about default sound devices should do the trick, no need to even install asoundconf.

Unless I’m misunderstanding something.

Wouldn’t pulseaudio be a dirty word amongst the target audience? one they want to slay with missiles (agreed)? xD

Losing Firefox has left a bad taste in my mouth, more so being told to ‘live with it’ on the bug report (*crushes a piece of paper and throws it away).

Configure alsa automatically

I have used mostly intel based laptops with HDMI and audio out; on i5 3rd gen (Ivy league) it worked out of the box but on i3 5th gen (Broadwell) the HDMI was default so I used a asound.conf like above (with Pulseaudio both systems worked out of the box).

Regarding a poll in the latest ISO, I noticed that it started out 1:4 (20% to 80%) in favour of ALSA only, and ended up 2:3 (40% to 60%) in favour of ALSA only, ie, the no of people preferring PulseAudio doubled.

So I think PulseAudio may not be too bad for most people and since a lot of projects (like Firefox) are depending on it, it can be included again in the next ISO.

What I tried to do implement was a modular pulseaudio setup that only starts pulseaudio when some program needs it, and try to make sure that it plays along nicely with ALSA like specified here, but there were some inconsistencies that I was unable to remove (like sound not working when logging in after logging out) so I have not uploaded that ISO yet (in case someone is interested in testing it let me know and I will upload it as a dev release).

Would you share the script please?
I was reading this article and thinking how to create the script to start and kill pulseaudio on demand
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples#Disabling_automatic_spawning_of_PulseAudio_server

Thanks!

Nothing fancy, just pulseaudio --start (then I’d have it wait a second to make sure pulseaudio was started) and start the application. Putting pulseaudio --kill after that kills it when the application closes. Like this for avidemux:

#!/bin/sh
#starts pulsaudio, then avidemux

pulseaudio --start
sleep 1
avidemux3_qt5 $1

pulseaudio --kill

exit 0

Then just have the menu entry run this script instead of avidemux3_qt5

Thank you.
Tried it but pulseaudio does not start. Intended program does start.
Sorry, my mistake. It does work.
Thanks a million. :slight_smile: