Manjaro on HP Laptop 840 G4

I’d love to install KDE on this specific machine and I’ve seen limited topics on it here and there on the internet. Anyone tried it? Any suggestions?

I have Manjaro i3 Community Edition on my HP Elitebook 840 G2. It works great. Your only concern will be the rather stringent UEFI BIOS of that machine. If you are not going to want to do dual boot with WIndows and only have Linux on it then I recommend changing the BIOS settings to “Legacy Boot” and let the installer install GRUB legacy as it will be much less hassle.

If you want to dual boot with WIndows then be sure to follow the Manjaro Wiki for dual boot on a UEFI system and install Windows before Manjaro.

EDIT: I would also suggest trying the Live KDE from the USB stick to see if you like it and if everything works before doing the install - but it really should just work…

Generation 1 or 2 ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HP_EliteBook_840_G1
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HP_EliteBook_840_G2

Olli: the OP says G4 in the title of the post…

Thanks this is what I have an based on your post and what I’ve read, it should work. Any thoughts?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP EliteBook 840 G4
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date HP P78 Ver. 01.02, 12/5/2016
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 69.52
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 828C
BaseBoard Version KBC Version 45.34
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “10.0.19041.1566”
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Did a live boot from USB, everything seems to work fine :grinning:

1 Like

OK. You appear to have Win10 already on the machine and you are booting it in legacy mode. I am surprised you are able to do that, but I assume this is correct. If so you should be good to add Manjaro to the disc. You will need to make room on the disk first - using Windows disk management. Read the Wiki on how to dual boot with Windows…

Thanks. No plans of dual boot. Going to give Manjaro the entire pie.