Manjaro on an Acer Spin 1 SP111-32N (Convertible 2 in 1 Laptop)

I tried to catch the key/button which is responsible for the tablet/laptop switch.
acpi_listen returns “676AA15E-6A47-4D 000000bc 00000000” if the tablet is folded from laptop to tablet mode. Folding back from tablet to laptop mode does not return any signal. Also the signal is shown only the first time. Further folding the laptop to both modes does not return any more signals.

Trying to use “xev” doesn’t create any output while folding the convertible to tablet mode or vice versa.

That’s really not telling a thing.
So, again I’m not a particular expert, but at least on my laptop (and iirc) (plan b?)

After following the bread trail I found out tablet mode gets triggered by a SW_TABLET_MODE signal.

This in turn got exactly supported in 4.16
So, you may want to try latest linux rc/git

Thank you for the hints. The mentioned forum post sounds interesting.

From the Windows 10 device manager I could find out the sensor, which is responsible for the laptop / tablet mode switch:

GPIO-Laptop/Slate-Indicator
Hardware-ID: ACPI\ID9001

The ACPI device with ID9001 is also listed under Manjaro: /sys/bus/acpi/devices/ID9001:00

As far as I understand the idea from the forum post (HP Spectre X360 user), is to create a custom udev rule for the device and then trigger it through keyboard shortcuts.
At this point I don’t know, how to do it for my ACPI\ID9001 device. acpi_listen also never shows this particular device, if the convertible is folded into tablet mode / laptop mode.

I also tried the newest experimental kernel 4.16 (unstable repo) from today, unfortunately without success.

I just wanted to give a small update / summarize. I recently changed from Manjaro GNOME Edition to Manjaro KDE Edition. HighDPI scaling (fractional scaling) in X11 under KDE is working almost perfect. In GNOME I had to scale the interface with factor 2 and then scale it down factor 1,5x1,5 using xrandr --scale, which gave me some problems using auto screen rotation. I also tried the experimental scaling under GNOME wayland, but using this gives me unfortunately blurry fonts. Auto screen rotation does also work pretty well under KDE using kded_rotation as mentioned in the ArchWiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tablet_PC#With_a_KDE_module).

To get the rotation order correct, the same configuration file as for GNOME has to be created:

/etc/udev/hwdb.d/61-sensor-local.hwdb

# Acer Spin 1 SP111-32N
sensor:modalias:acpi:BOSC0200*:dmi:*:svnAcer*:pnSpinSP111-32N:*
 ACCEL_MOUNT_MATRIX=0, 1, 0; 1, 0, 0; 0, 0, 1

From the issues mentioned in my first post, only one remains:
The tablet mode is not working. Once the convertible is folded into a tablet and back, there is no way to get the keyboard / touchpad working again, than doing a reboot. To be more precise, it needs two reboots. After the first reboot the keyboard / touchpad is still not working and the convertible has to be turned off and on again.

I also attempted the newly released final kernel 4.16. I did even try some daily builds / alpha / beta releases from different distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora), but they all show the same behaviour. I searched a lot of github projects regarding “tablet mode” and “tablet mode switch” etc., but I couldn’t find any specific for my Acer Spin 1.

There is a device which is very similar to the Acer Spin 1 SP111-32N. It is the Acer TravelMate Spin B1 Convertible - this device is as far as I know even shipped with a linux distribution Endless OS. Because the specs of both devices are almost the same, I hoped I could try it on my convertible, but I cannot get Endless OS to boot. Looking in the their support forum, the newer Intel platforms will be supported by Endless OS in the next beta / release.

Overall Manjaro does work pretty well with the Acer Spin 1, almost everything is working out of the box and I hope I can solve the last remaining part with the “tablet mode”.

Can you try linux-git?
Some hours ago they merged some other improvement.

AUR lists linux-git only in version linux-git 4.16rc6.
I never build directly from source. This would be the correct git? https://github.com/manjaro/packages-core

In the announcement section I found this post to the latest testing updates: [Testing Update] 2018-04-11 - ZFS, Firefox, Gnome v3.28.1, Haskell, Python

I tried the Manjaro XFCE Alpha with the new linux kernel 4.17. There the issue with switching back from tablet mode still exists.

You mentioned some improvements in the last hours, which I suppose are not included in the Alpha Release, although it is using the most current linux417 4.17-rc0. Could you specify which improvements could lead to a solution for the “tablet mode” issue? I cannot figure out, what exactly to look for.

Regards

Version is just a number. Aur package is just fine, and you don’t have to do a thing to configure it.

Changes were these, indeed not present in manjaro old release.

I tried linux-git from AUR, which after installation showed up as 4.17rc1. The changes did really sound promising, but the problem with going back from tablet mode still exists.

Is this definitely an issue which has to be solved directly in the kernel or is there maybe an approach in userspace?

Idk, and exactly for this, at this point I’d just recommend you to install Fedora, then report back to their bug tracker (since developers of *both* are there)

Kernel, if there is no prohibitive license, otherwise DKMS extra module or similar.

I haven’t heard of packages just for one switch, that wouldn’t make sense.

@tom86
I’m in the exact same boat as you are. Installed Manjaro which I really love due to it being arch basically. Saw mirh’s suggestion about going to fedora, which I GUESS I can do if things seem really grim.

But is it fully confirmed that everything on the SP111-32N works OOTB in Fedora?
Cause that DOES sound tempting.

In any case, I’ll post here if I find a workaround or fix for the tablet mode. I kinda like it.
Thanks for your info!

I tried the most recent Fedora Rawhide and could not notice any difference regarding supported hardware to Manjaro.
The only difference, auto-rotation is directly supported. In Manjaro you have to install iio-sensor-proxy from AUR.
But also in Fedora the direction of the rotation is not correct, so you have to create the file /etc/udev/hwdb.d/61-sensor-local.hwdb same as in Manjaro.
Therefore I would like to stick to Manjaro, because it really does not make any difference regarding supported hardware and I dont want to miss AUR anymore.

Maybe there is a solution with the help of the Acer TravelMate Spin B1 Convertible. This device seems to have identical hardware to the Acer Spin 1 and has a preinstalled Linux Endless OS. Because this device is also a convertible, tablet mode switching has to work, otherwise I think it would not be shipped with a preinstalled Linux.

But as mentioned before, I am unable to boot the current image from Endless OS. Maybe the preinstalled version has some changes, because the hardware basis should be the same on both convertibles.

I think it’s how the hardware works when there isn’t a software to change its behaviour. I have the same laptop model, and this happens in BIOS settings - if a laptop is folded into a tablet, BIOS settings won’t see any keyboard events anymore even if the laptop is folder back into laptop mode.

I folded my Acer Spin 1 into a tablet in the BIOS settings, but the keyboard / touchpad stayed enabled. This would show a different behaviour than your device. I am using the newest BIOS firmware version 1.06.

BTW: Fedora 28 was released yesterday, but the tablet mode problem still exists.

1.06 here as well, and checking back, it seems like keyboard works as it should in BIOS settings (although I’m pretty sure it used to not work like this in some older version).

Maybe try the new libinput
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libinput-git

Thanks for the hint. I compiled libinput-git through AUR, but the issue still exists. I am also testing new kernel releases every now and then. So far i have not found any solution.

Today I found something interesting in the newest github linux kernel development:

This is a driver to detect Tablet Mode for ChromeOS convertibles. Would it be possible to implement something similar for my Acer Spin 1?

This is the ACPI device on my Acer responsible for the tablet/laptop mode switch:

GPIO-Laptop/Slate-Indicator
Hardware-ID: ACPI\ID9001

There are also some news from phoronix about the Chromebook Tablet Switch Driver:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.18-Chrome-Tablet-Switch

The Acer Chromebooks and the Acer Spin 1 have almost identical hardware.
I will give the current linux-git for kernel 4.18 a try.

Are some additional steps necessary to enable this driver while compiling from AUR linux-git?

A small update: I tried some days ago kernel 4.18 from linux-git and compiled the chromeos_tbmc driver as a module. I then booted the freshly compiled kernel and loaded the driver through modprobe. Lsmod did afterwards correctly list the module as loaded. Unfortunately the issue still remains and the touchpad/keyboard remain disabled after switching back from tablet mode.

Today I tried the new kernel 4.18 rc1 from the Manjaro kernel chooser. It installs without a problem, but the chromeos_tbmc driver does not show up. It is also not possible to load the module through modprobe. Is it possible to choose which modules get compiled, if I use the kernel gui installer?