Manjaro not booting after system upgrade

I recently upgraded most aspects of my system, including moving to a new cpu and motherboard (AMD FX-8320 on AM3+ to Ryzen 7 5700X on AM4, new mobo: MSI B550-A Pro) and installing additional drives (NVMe-SSD, currently empty, plus new Blu-Ray drive, removing two old IDE optical drives). Now Manjaro no longer boots. Grub boots fine in CMS-Mode and so does Windows (including from Grub), but choosing Manjaro just gives me a black screen with no useful information.
I already tried chmod-manjaro and update-grub from a live stick, but it didn’t help. I think I’m out of my depth here.

You likely need to change driver config and more.
One place to start may be:

2 Likes

You need to boot either with

1. fallback initrd
  2. chroot into the system and rebuild initrd

you need with USB live iso manjaro ,

• do a chroot
  • rebuild img
  • restore Grub entry

check this point before

For UEFi and /boot/efi

sudo manjaro-chroot -a
efibootmgr -v
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck    ( for UEFI + /boot/efi)
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 
mkinitcpio -P
efibootmgr -v
exit
1 Like

Thanks, I checked through your guides an apparantly my problem is not Grub issue at all and rather a graphics driver issue. I also upgrade from an GCN-GPU to an RDNA2-GPU and it seems my system stubbornly tries to use the old ati drivers instead of amdgpu. Typing startx I get (EE) Fatal server error:(EE) no screens found. I have some trouble solving this though. The stuff I find by search all either seem to deal NVIDEA stuff or are don’t really seem to fit my case.

I used Ubuntu and then Debian for several years. and sometimes Manjaro
I’ve never seen this such error, I use some old hardware (NO UEFI).
Manjaro installed and worked perfectly fine but not until i upgrade the OS.
this is looking interesting solution [stephane] said in this topic but no Idea how to do any level of solution, any link on how to do that? or any other solutions? any information needed?
do a chroot
rebuild img
restore Grub entry
My main problem is I see Manjaro logo with 3 loading dots i see sound and video drivers loaded and remains in that stage TTY is not working if i try to load TTY the 3 loading dots stops moving.
thanks

1 Like

No necro-bumping; please. See the Forum Rules.