Manjaro not booting after last update. error loading shared libcrypto.so.3 Unable to mount /new_root. Cannot access chroot

I’m sorry I will not be able to post much information since I don’t have access to the system.

After last upgrade I tried to reboot and at the shutdown there was a kernel panic with an error about missing libcrypto.so.3 library.

After reboot it now shows the following error (sorry, typing it):

kmod: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
systemd-tmpfiles: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
udevadm: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
udevadm: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mount: /new_root: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'
             dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

and a blinking prompt, I cannot write any command there

As recommended in other threads, I tried to boot from a usb stick containing last Manjaro iso, to chroot and try to upgrade again or update libssl or even manually add libcrypto.so.3 and try to rebuild initramfs

but when I insert usb stick and try to run mManjaro live from usb stick with open drivers I get a really strange error:

Starting version 251.4-1-manjaro
mount: /new_root: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on overlay, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
             dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
cp: cannot create directory '/run/initramfs/': No such file or directory
ERROR: Failed to mount the real root device.
Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

and again can’t write any command

I tested this very usb stick in another laptop and it starts Manjaro live

What can I do to make my system bootable again?

Thank you for your support

As always: chroot into your install and update your partially upgraded system, and if necessary, reinstall kernels.

I had the same problem on a Dell. I stayed in a kernel panic. Fix it as follows.
From a live section with manjaro-chroot -a I reinstalled libsystemd and openssl. Executed the ldconfig and reboot.
This worked for me.

sorry for my English

Thank you zbe,
I was in the middle of the edition of my post.
I tried to do so the way I know, with no success.
How do I procceed?

Thank you allanadja,

To be able to reinstall libsystemd and openssl I need to have access to the system to cheroot, is that right?
But I get this second error in my first post when I try to boot Manjaro live from a USB stick.
How can I fix it?

I had a same issue when I tried to install manjaro with a liveUSB and I got a error like unknown filesystem type . Finally I found my USB had no space for full manjaro img. When I changed a larger USB, it was solved.

There is no other way. Fix your usb stick/redownload iso/use another stick. And please use preformatted text </> for code/output you post.

I had the same problem on a Dell. I stayed in a kernel panic. Fix it as follows.
From a live section with manjaro-chroot -a I reinstalled libsystemd and openssl. Executed the ldconfig and reboot.
This worked for me.

Forget After reinstalling run mkinitcpio -P

Thank you zbe and Fincoy,

I reformatted the text in first post.

The usb stick is ok, it is 8GiB size and iso image is 3.5GiB.
And this same usb stick is able to run Manjaro live on another laptop.
If it was wrong, image or usb stick, it would not work in any laptop, isn’t it?

And error message I get when booting the live Manjaro from usb stick also does not make sense.
This message does not appear when I boot in the other laptop.

1 Like

Ok, reinstall libsystemd and openssl. Execute mkinitcpio instead of ldconfig and reboot.
With manjaro-chroot -a

But how I chroot if live Manjaro does not run?
Find it a really strange error when running from usb stik, that does not repeat on a second laptop, that is able to run live Manjaro without a problem.

Are you sure you are booting the stick though?

If so, then the only thing that comes to mind is something in your bios. Check for regular stuff eg. that secureboot is disabled, etc.
I would still try another stick or download and burn iso again.

I think so since I get the menu to choose keyboard layout and language, and I can select to boot with open or propietary drivers.
And error message is also different.
But checked it and no secure boot in bios.

I downloaded a Manjaro XFCE image (previous was KDE, in case) and put it in the usb stick.
SHA1 were both correct.
But it shows again the same error.

I was looking for some mininal Manjaro we had before, I just need minimal to chroot, right?
I mean, I see the option for minimal, ut they still are above 2 GiB.

May I chroot with some other live distro?, never tried
chroot is a basic Linux command I can execute from any distro, isn’t it?
But you are suggesting manjaro-chroot, and that will just be available in a Manjaro distro, right?

Sorry for repeated posting, I’m lost

Indeed - manjaro-chroot is just a script which automates the process
so is arch-chroot which would be one alternative to try if you can boot an arch iso.
They are quite small - faster to download.

But you can use any linux distro you can successfully boot
to chroot into your system.

Here is the process:

Chroot - Gentoo Wiki

first mount the partition(s) on the device to somewhere in the correct order
(open an encrypted container first, if the system is encrypted)
then mount some additional directories and copy some files
then you can enter the chroot

Basically this above, without “Unpacking system files and the Portage tree”
just the “Configuration” and “Usage” steps …

another description of the manual process:

Chroot (Arch reparieren) – wiki.archlinux.de

Thank you @Nachlese

Really weird, I can boot the arch iso but not the Manjaro iso.
But I really need to solve this, I have to prepare a presentation for friday, so I will probably go the arch iso way.
For the purpose of reinstalling libsystemd and openssl, and executing mkinitcpio -P, which would be the best/less risky way?, arch-chroot or chroot?
I read here chroot - ArchWiki the description of the proccess and looks like it is different.
For arch-chroot looks like there’s no need to mount additional directories appart from existing filesystem and EFI.
For chroot it looks like it is needed to mount /proc, /sys, /dev, /run, /…/efivars and finally chroot /mnt /bin/bash

What would you advice?

Doesn’t matter what you use. arch-chroot is more convenient of course.

Check if pacman even works. If it does, update everything, install kernels again. Then think about reinstalling anything else.

Also you didn’t mention did update even finish last time, without errors?

none is “risky”

and
it makes no difference (!)

other than
arch-chroot (like manjaro-chroot) is a script that automates the process
of mounting additional needed directories which need to be there for the chroot environment to function properly

arch-chroot is just like manjaro-chroot - saves you all the additional work
that you would have to do without the help of that script

If you have Arch, and can boot it … use arch-chroot
just like you would use manjaro-chroot

@zbe
What about mounting /proc, /sys, /dev, /run, /…/efivars as the arch webpage says? is all that needed under arch-chroot?

Do I check if pacman works by executing pacman -Syu?.
Update finished aparently without errors…

Please read chroot - ArchWiki

no, it’s not
that is the entire purpose of that script
so that you do not have to do all these tasks yourself - which ideally means that you do understand why each of these steps are needed and how to properly do them

@Nachlese and @zbe

It is of course crystal clear I’m not the most skilled Linux user.
Please, make me know if I’m posting in the wrong place. Thank you for your help and patience.

I read chroot - ArchWiki several times, but I read information that I don’t completely understand. That’s why I make silly questions to reassure I don’t further break my system.

No need of additional mounts, the script will take care of them.
I suppose the option -a recommended for manjaro-chroot does not exist under arch-chroot
Run arch-chroot,
and then try to upgrade again the system with pacman, in case last upgrade was not complete,
reinstall libsystemd and openssl, and execute mkinitcpio -P,
and hopefully it will work.

Am I missing anything critical?, do I also have to grub-update?