Manjaro Net/LXQt 17.0.5

community-edition
lxqt
netinstall

i am proud to announce the immediate availability of manjaro net/lxqt 17.0.5.

the new manjaro net/lxqt is completely different from previous ISO images:

• previous manjaro ISOs worked like this: you boot a livecd and manjaro lxqt appeared on your screen. you could play around with it and install it to your hard drive (using the calamares installer). calamares installed (almost) all packages from the livecd to your hard drive. you probably had to update some packages to the latest version after booting into your installed system for the first time, because the packages on the livecd are already outdated.

• the manjaro net/lxqt ISO works in a similar way: you boot a livecd and manjaro lxqt appeares on your screen. you can play around with it and start calamares. calamares offers you a choice of packages you can install. all packages you select get downloaded from the manjaro mirror servers (with their latest version - please wait until that is done!) and installed to your hard drive.

• by default, only a minimal set of packages is selected within calamares. after installation, this system will boot to TTY and has a basic internet connection (because only “base” package group, kernel, boot loader, networkmanager, and 8 essential manjaro packages are installed). such a bare minimum install is much more basic than my previously released manjaro net-minimal edition. If you know what you are doing, you can deselect packages in calamares and end up with an even lighter system.
    WARNING: if no network is found on your system after installation from the manjaro net/lxqt ISO, please select (needed) “network-extra” packages.

• if you select all packages within calamares (which can be done with 3 clicks), a fully functioning, manjaro-themed lxqt system with even more packages than on the livecd is installed to your hard drive. this installation method is recommended for beginners, who want to install a manjaro lxqt system.

• please keep in mind that manjaro net/lxqt ISO usually does not need an update when manjaro releases a new version, because the latest version of packages get downloaded prior to installation. manjaro net/lxqt only requires an update when calamares receives some important (security) updates!

there is a CLI netinstaller called manjaro-architect for manjaro. i have different goals with manjaro net/lxqt, though:

• using calamares as a GUI installer with a GUI package selection to ensure a fast installation process with the least amount of user interaction possible. thus, an installation with manjaro net/lxqt is less customizable than manjaro architect.

• manjaro architect offers multiple DEs. manjaro net/lxqt currently only supports lxqt, but more DEs could be added. Unfortunately, calamares does not prioritize netinstall features, which would make it much easier to include multiple DEs.

• the ISO size should stay rather small, but i do not keep it as minimal as possible (it is less than twice as large as manjaro-architect). instead, i want to present a rather nice looking lxqt system to the user in the livecd, which has some rescue tools already preinstalled:

version 17.0.5 includes an updated version of calamares and some filesystem and locale fixes and nothing more. i decided to release version 17.0.5, because this release will probably be the last with a 32bit ISO image as manjaro deprecates 32bit packages soon.

this ISO image with netinstaller no longer works with manjaro 17.1.x+
Download Manjaro Linux Community
see last post for an alternative method of installing a minimal manjaro

troubleshooting:

• calamares still calls the ISO “Manjaro 17.0.2”, which is only an irritating glitch! you will surely install manjaro net/lxqt 17.0.5.

• the root account for all manjaro live systems is:

• username: manjaro
    • password: manjaro
  • in some (seemingly random) cases, an extremely slow manjaro mirror is set up for you. in this case, downloading packages during installation will need EXTREMELY long and sometimes never finish at all.
    in order to prevent this, open a terminal in the livecd and execute the following command before you install manjaro net/lxqt 17.0.5:

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip && sudo pacman -Syy

• if the above mentioned method still does not work, you should start the GUI installer in debug mode by executing the following command in the terminal. this will show a lot of output, including the package, which currently gets downloaded. this gives you some feedback of the installation progress. if package download is much slower than you are used to, something went wrong with the command listed above. please execute it again!

sudo -E calamares -d

• the default audio server is “alsa”. this means that the volume widget in the panel will NOT work, if you install pulseaudio (which gets installed, when you mark all packages!). in order to make the volume widget/applet work, right click it and select “configure volume control” --> tick “PulseAudio” and enter pavucontrol-qt as external mixer.

• when you mark all lxqt packages during installation, both openbox and kwin get installed as your window manager. by default, lxqt uses openbox as window manager. when you want to continue using it, there is no need for kwin and you can safely remove it:
    sudo pacman -Rns kwin systemsettings

Manjaro Net/LXQt 17.0.2
Uninstall for bare bone distro
Close superseded announcment threads by default?

Copied the torrents you created to https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarotorrents/files/community/lxqt/17.0.5/.

nice looks but i dont like with transparent window border :smiley:
i just try on live cd and i love it… might i want install it on real machine …can you advice for theming this and icons where can i download or installed the qt theme …

Thank you very much. I did not notice a hash sum in the download directory on Sourceforge.

Sorry: I can click on the i in the circle graphic … no need for a separate file.

all theming is done by the package “manjaro-lxqt-basic-settings”. if you want to get the same theming on your system, install it.
if you want to cherrypick (parts of) the theming, you can take a look at the dependencies of that package.

the theming was originally one by @artoo, who has left the project. i am not really interested in theming but more the technical part. therefore, i might remove the theming in the future if it breaks and i cannot fix it easily.

i love your work with this iso :slight_smile:
i just install the basic and i choose differen DE…minimal xfce DE …i love this version than architect :smile:
i choose what i need…and about select network extra …i dont select it :D, when tty has boot …i just boot the iso again and open the terminal mount everything disk and type manjaro-chroot and i install xfce from it

thanks for the feedback and the tips.

when i install manjaro for serious (and not for testing the ISO), i just select the bare minimum of packages as well (even less than selected by default).
manjaro net/lxqt empowers the user to (de)select even basic packages. this is great for power users like us. the description and tips in the first post are directed at inexperienced users (including the tip with network-extra packages): for them, the solution must be as easy as possible and installing a couple of unneeded packages does not matter.

personally, i also like this ISO more than manjaro-architect, because it requires much less user interaction while the result (a manjaro installation with a minimum set of packages) is the same

Btw, does net mode of calamares have yet the option to choose the desktop environment? If not, hopefully coming soon?

no.
only lxqt is addeed as test example, because i use lxqt myself. i have explained the problem in my first post:

i think the netinstall feature of calamares is a wonderful tool to install net editions (without a possibility to choose the kernel during installation). but the netinstall feature of calamares is still too limited to install multiple DEs. in my opinion, it is even hard to just offer 1 DE and give the user a little choice, too.
since @artoo helped to develop the netinstall feature of calamares (and the manjaro-tools), i doubt there will be a lot of progress made in the foreseeable future.

i will continue to use the netinstall feature in calamares in the hope of convincing other linux distribution developers of the value this tool offers. when multiple developers demand new features, it is more likely those features get improved/developed. if i have a lot of free time (which is unlikely to happen), i might take a look at the code myself.

I guess you can add it as packages in the yaml file.
Would bloat the file a lot if you can’t mentipon package groups in the yaml though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Progress and active development on the netinstall module is done on artix.
These changes could be backported to manjaro, however, manjaro is none of my business any longer.

currently, i have setup my yaml file in parts (e.g. “manjaro”, “window manager”, “login manager”, DE, “printer support”, etc).
if you want to add a gtk-based DE, you would need to add many packages multiple times, because calamares’ netinstall feature does not support “either-or” package selection.

so, more DEs could be added to calamares (i.e. the yaml file), but this is not yet developer-friendly (in my opinion). the inability of adding package groups is just 1 example for that.

are you going to upstream the changes to calamares?
i know that it is our problem to backport the changes to manjaro-tools…

Not likely at the moment, since this is a pretty artix/arch solution.
I changed lots of stuff in our tools, I basically decoupled calamares from buildiso as much as possible.
However, the patches in our calamares fork could be backported, just tools don’t work any longer the way they work on manjaro, because we only do netinstall. Dropped any code that supports default calamares behaviour.

@excalibur1234

Is a basic OpenBox environment possible without LXQT using your ISO.
I am more at ease using Calamares installer especially for the manual partitioning of hard drive.

yes (select “openbox” as window manager and no component of lxqt), but it will be EXTREMELY basic, i.e. there will only be openbox but no panel, wallpaper management, etc.
also, all programs are primarily qt-based, because lxqt is also qt-based.

so, it is possible, but i would not recommend it.

@excalibur1234
Thanks

I was stuck at slim login screen for a while.
Silly me I was missing the xorg-server package. Installed it from TTY.
Now I’m very happy with OpenBox. It’s perfect for my old core2duo laptop.

All I want is a bare essential OS that has only the bare essentials and no frills.
I didn’t select any programs from the ISO. I’ll install those manually (non-qt).
Then I can customize

My installation stuck at 18% ‘create chroot dirs and install pacman’.
That was my third try on my laptop.it always stuck at chroot.
Why net install?manjaro-lxqt need a full offline iso.
I was in manjaro-xfce.that worked well.
Now I installed manjaro-lxde,remove the lxde desxtop and installed lxqt.
Note: I updated my mirrors and ranked .my net connection is 10 Mbps.
I recommend full Iso of lxqt.if full iso was there those commented problems won’t happened.

Stuck for how long?
At 25 Mb/sec (advertised), after I:
Connect to wireless
Open a terminal and
sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip && sudo pacman -Syy
Start the installer
Select full LXQt (three clicks)
I would guess maybe an hour or so for me to complete the installation.

I am not interested in manjaro-lxqt net install anymore.

It killed my love for Linux and manjaro.

If moderator can make a offline iso it will help the future lxqt user.
Or make net installation of all the other desktop.
I am not a system administer to deal with this crap net installer.

Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,