Manjaro minimal bash-like line editing is supported

Hi everyone! I just installed manjaro 17 alongside with my windows 10 and after rebooting the system I got blask screen and message “minimal bash-like line editing is supported…”. I was looking for and answer about 6 hours but nothing seems to work. I am linux newbie, so can somebody help me to mannualy fix this problem?

How did you made the install, what install media and what DE did you use?

I made a bootable usb with gnome DE from windows rufus, then in the partitions I choosed to replace partition (I wanted to replace my ubuntu 16 with manjaro).

Did you format that partition? Is a UEFI or Legacy Bios machine? Each needs a bit different BOOT flag and where GRUB is installed …

I guess I did not, I thought installer will autoformat it. UEFI machine. Sorry, I am not sure where my grub is installed. How can I figure it out? Are you russian by the way?

If is enabled during the installation. Make sure you follow this steps from wiki, it is more clear than explain it myself, and you will have better understanding of what, how and where.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=UEFI_-_Install_Guide

note: If you are re-using your EFI partition (that was created by Windows previously (or any other OS), then there is no need to format. Formatting will wipe the previous bootloader. Only mounting the EFI partition as /boot/efi is required in that case.
So I should reinstall manjaro and select /boot/efi on my partition?
I am despaired. I have been messing with this linux installation for 2 days .

For BOOT yes, not for the system … Do not format that EFI partition, just the one / for system

100 mb partition is my boot partition?

No, it is your efi partition, but yes, that is where your grub should be installed.

1 Like

I reinstalled manjaro and selected that partition as /boot/efi but it doesn’t help, still got minimal bash message

I would suggest checking that you have booted the iso in uefi mode when installing.

1 Like

I am 100% sure I used uefi

1 Like

Excellent! Then let’s try reinstalling the bootloader manually. It either starts working or we get an error message showing what to do to fox it.

Boot the live iso in uefi mode, open a terminal and run

manjaro-chroot -a

(this assumes no lvm, btrfs or encryption)

This automatically mounts your installation and chroots into it. Then you can reinstall grub:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

After that,

update-grub

If you want, you can use that minimal bash like interface to boot your system instead of chrooting. @gohlip is good with that stuff

1 Like

/usr/lib/manjaro-tools/util-mount.sh: line 65: grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck: syntax error in expression (error token is “target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck”)
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

Did you press enter between the commands?

1 Like

Between chroot and grub install? Yes. You wrote them separately, so I thought it was 2 command.
I did it again as one command. Restart an now I don’t have grub. I have black grub-like screen and can select only windows.

It was, its just that your error seemed like it was something spawned by both.

1 Like

I wonder if it could be a faulty iso…

1 Like

I will download from another source and will try again. If it won’t help I will come back to ubuntu. Thank you for your time!

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark