Manjaro LXQt 17.0 (net edition)

systemd
community-edition
lxqt
openrc
netinstall

here is a link to the panel.conf file, which gets installed with “manjaro-lxqt-basic-settings” package (which i never install on my systems):

as you can see, the volume applet is configured to use alsa and alsamixer (installed with the “alsa-utils” package) by default. if you install pulseaudio with pavucontrol-qt (as you do when you select all packages in the GUI installer), the audio applet/widget will probably not work out of the box. but you can easily configure that by right clicking on it.

what do you think we should change?

• remove the possibility to install pulseaudio and pavucontrol-qt
  • adjust the audio/volume widget to work with pulseaudio and pavucontrol-qt by default (which brakes its compatibility with alsa)
  • maybe the installation of pulseaudio-alsa package brakes compatibility of the volume widget out of the box. @artoo, do you know, whether this is the case?

you can also change that in “preferences” menu entry of pcmanfm-qt. no need to edit a .conf file. i actually like this default setting. @artoo has created the .conf file for that setting. thanks!

there is a check box to add “base-devel and yaourt” in the GUI installer. you can even choose to not install single packages from base-devel group to make your install even lighter!
you probably missed it. but you easily install it with “sudo pacman -S base-devel yaourt” in case you forget.

Thanks, excalibur. I figured there had to be an easier way to change the folder views but I’m lazy and am familiar with the .conf files. As for the volume control, I fixed that by deleting the panel icon and installing the app from the panel preferences.

I did select the top-level choice to install everything in the net install. Not sure why I missed yaourt, but as you said it was easy enough to add once I realized it was missing.

Thanks again for your work on this. Don’t think LXQt is quite ready for prime time but it could be I’m just not ready to give up my Xfce. :heart_eyes:

One papercut is that Qupzilla does not support spell-checking out of the box. I believe I have outlined manual steps to include spell-checking in Qupzilla here:

i just did a pull request, which should fix that problem:

but this means the volume widget/applet is broken for alsa users by default.
there really is no proper solution for this problem!

From my pov, it breaks alsa default.
openrc version hasn’t pulseaudio installed in live session.

we could include pulseaudio in the live session as well.

i see 2 possible solutions. we have to make a decision:

• use alsa by default for the volume widget/applet. we can offer pulseaudio as additional packages, but we should include a tip in the “troubleshooting” section of the OP, because the volume widget will NOT work, if the user simply selects ALL packages during installation.
  • use pulseaudio by default. this increases the size of the ISO and is against a “simple system by default” philosophy.

do you prefer the first solution?

Yes, I’d be in favor of first solution.
The openrc yaml already has pulseaudio listed. I kind of think, pulse in live session is useless for the purpose of the iso. :wink:

ok, i have added the fix to the troubleshooting section of the OP.

i am actually in favor of the second solution, because i use pulseaudio. but we can leave alsa as the default sound server.
as long as users do not complain in large quantities, i do not see any problem with it.

(Most) people who are running OpenRC are rather unlikely to complain about a lack of PulseAudio since like systemd, it is a product of the Great Satan himself.

:slight_smile:

I have to agree with Artoo, the first solution may be better. From the standpoint of a new user trying an unfamiliar system it can be a off-putting for any of the included panel apps not to work and I’m all in favor of the lighter solution for LXQt.

BTW I kept it on my test machine for a while and liked it pretty well. Looking forward to seeing where you guys go with this.

i have updated the previous post with the 2 possible solutions.

from the point of view of lxqt, i am pretty happy: a fully working lxqt with many features expected from a modern DE can be easily installed.

from the point of view of manjaro net, i am also pretty happy, but there is room for improvements:

• all packages (except the kernel) can be (un-)selected during installation. this makes it easy to install a truly minimal system (if the user has the knowledge and will to configure even basic system packages, which the ordinary user does not know anything about).
  • long term, we can add manjaro architect as CLI installer.
  • when the other maintainers of manjaro community (and official) edition are willing to adopt to the netinstall model, we can release a manjaro net install, which offers multiple DEs. this would be great!
  • i definitely still see some deficiencies in calamares: the netinstall options are still too limited for my taste. i have tried to convince them that new features are necessary, but they do not see any need for them. IMHO, they have never used that feature themselves.
    my only hope for fixing this problem is to convince other developers to start using the netinstall feature of calamares and discover its limitations.
  • i do not like the current GRUB selection screen (in which you can select the language and gpu driver used for the live session). IMHO, it needs a major graphical overhaul. this is the reason, why i have not released my personal builds of the latest ISOs. fortunately, there is no real need for an updated ISO, because a netinstall is ALWAYS up-to-date after a successful installation.

feel free to suggest ideas for further improvements.

Is Manjaro netinstall still a thing?

Yes, I see them too.

I can quickly explain how it works.
Because calamares is distro independent installer, it defaults upstream to unpackfs, ie it extracts sfs squash images.
Then calamares got a 3rd party module integrated upstream, the netinstall module. This is what we have in hybrid mode, so it extract the squash image and additionally installs defined selectable packages. This mode is still tied to unsquashing images. Most binary distros are point release distros, it makes absolutely sense.
So I made the chrootcfg module, which is arch/manjaro exclusive, tied to nice pacman feature. This module uses the netinstall framework to select that packages, but it in fact replaces the unpackfs module, and we get a similar functionality than arch wiki describes as pacstrap, where all packages will be downloaded and installed.

So features for the chrootcfg module is stuff we may implement, features that are connected with the netinstall module(eg package descriptions) is not developed by manajro, because this would have to work with many different package managers.

I like the net install approach you’re taking. I have used both the calamares graphical installer and Manjaro Architect during the past month, and think it’s a happy medium. More flexible than calamares, but not as hard to navigate as M-A for linux newbies- took me two tries to get a working Xfce install b/c I apparently selected the wrong keyboard layout and couldn’t log in.

Yeah, it’s easy to miss something. Btw, if you sometime get stuck with the wrong keyboard layout, you can try the following:

A) in the bootloader menu, add “init=/bin/bash” to the kernel parameters (in grub/systemd-boot press e to edit options, in refind f2). This logs you in as root without password.

Or
B) boot to a live ISO. Chroot into your installed system with

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. You can then change your keyboard settings.
  2. profit

This becomes more complicated if you have an encrypted root partition. @madmarv, then this humble guide might help.

Thanks both of you. Didn’t realize it was ‘just’ a keyboard layout issue until after started re-install. Too impatient I guess. :expressionless:

This is my testing computer. I use it to try new distros I want to evaluate for my main machine. If it runs on this it runs on the other. But I think I’ve settled into Manjaro so will leave this for your LXQt build to see how the desktop develops.

Manjaro No GUI install

the problem of extremely slow package downloads should be solved with the latest build (systemd version only). also, a security vulnerability in calamares has been fixed.

please continue any discussion in the new topic here: