Manjaro LXQt 17.0 (net edition)

octopi is installed because of 2 reasons:

• it (especially octopi-notifier) is needed to update the list of manjaro mirrors. without that list, you would not be able to download the latest packaes (or download them extremely slowly). this part of not working perfectly yet, but there have not been any efforts upstream to fix that. we will see what will happen.

• if you use this ISO as a rescue system, you sometimes need extra software to do that. octopi (and preinstalled AUR support) is great for that.

we do not want the ISO size to be bloated just to show off all available software. the ISO size could easily increase to 1.2-2.0gb if we did that. in my opinion, this is unacceptable.

this net edition is aimed at experienced manjaro/arch users, which means that most of them already know about manjaro settings manager.

but you are right that octopi (and not octopi-notifier-qt5) could probably be removed. we could also remove AUR support and some parts of lxqt (including the theming).
but to be honest, i like the current live system: it looks nice and has some comfortable features already preinstalled. if we removed all bloat, it would shave off about 50mb of the ISO size, but we had a shitty looking live system, without AUR support.

Well, the net editions don’t aim to be show offs, they are made with rescue feature in mind.
Its not attractive to download more than 1GB just to have a live rescue system. This is where lxqt can fill in the gap.
Also, the more software you preinstall, the more updates the user will need to make, regardless if all the software is used.
so overall, lxqt editions aim to be rescue media, netinstall media, kind of manjaro swiss knife and only delivering a basic system to be customized by the user.

I still don’t agree with this approach because I see this as lxqt flavor while you see it as net install. In a second case I might agree, but when I expect lxqt edition, I want to see complete and full desktop live preview. This is why this edition seems to be so off. It’s not a real net edition and no real lxqt edition.

if you talk about the live system, i agree.

but the installed system is made up of 100% packages, which got downloaded from the net. therefore, it is a net edition.
if you choose all packages during install (this can be done with 3 clicks), it becomes a fully usable LXQt Edition with a basic set of packages (neither chromium nor firefox are installed).

so, would you agree that “Manjaro Net Edition 17.0 (with LXQt Desktop)” is a better title?

With that title I would suggest inclusion of manjaro-architect (once it is stable).

Yes, that sounds better, because it doesn’t convey a false idea of a complete lxqt edition as it was before. On the second thought, I would add “(with a LXQT Live Desktop)” to be more precise.

I will try to install it again with said lxqt desktop. My previous attempt was highly unsuccessful - a very unusual thing about Manjaro.

EDIT: I am not sure why everyone is obsessing about iso size. If people want it, they will accept even 4-5GB iso’s (like mac os). It’s like it was a competition in linux. If iso is big or bigger then usual, it’s always mentioned as a con, while for a complete and well-designed distro with many useful utilities, I would make that trade.

Because linux has many users in developing countries, with slow and unreliable internet and subpar hardware? With kde or gnome edition nobody does anything to keep down iso sizes, but lxqt is meant to be one of the lightest desktops, so it is aimed also for those who actually need such desktop.

True, but… I remember many years ago when we had old modem connections. If we wanted some file, a move, we would download it for days till we get it.

I would be curious to see comparable stats of downloading win and mac os iso’s. I suspect they are surpassing linux ones despite their sizes.

My point is, sure, we can think about the size but not obsessively. Functionality does matter.

At the moment manjaro main iso’s are well balanced imo. Since I expected lxqt with net add on, I was disappointed in that release, but I guess you prepared it more like net edition.

Depends on edition and aims. Bspwm edition is obsessive about size, lxqt less so. I jumped through quite many hoops to get rid of all gtk2 and qt dependencies. At one point I also left out gaphical installer, nonfree drivers and AUR support. That makes sense for bspwm edition, not so much for others.

I think that lighter the desktop, more concern for the iso size. Flagship editioins should be fully featured, lightweight desktops light, and window managers minimalistic.

Such editions are only for very limited and specialized target group. I have a one very weak, old laptop that my dad is using. I can’t put there any openbox or similar kind of edition. Those are too weird and programmer specific. LXQT or LXDE are the lightest reasonable ones. They are still slow, but that’s the farthest I can go.

From what I experienced so far, usually people with a very technical mind and with IT background enjoy those minimalistic editions. Those doesn’t matter that much, because such persons have skills and knowledge to cook something on your own (on arch), but still, enjoy some editions for them. Also, they rarely need such lightweight systems, they just masochistically like having all very basic and light.

There are linux distros that do opposite: they prepare the extra large iso and pack everything they can to the system for potential offline usage by different people with different needs, usually having no knowledge about computers so everything must be user-friendly. And those distros are for not only developing countries but third world countries who have almost no widely available internet infrastructure.

Anyway, I like LXQT but it’s still not matured yet and has some kinks to work out. Translations are not full (opposite to plasma, gnome or xfce) so there is still too many only English components. Sound applet is broken after install and you need to add one manually. Searching is not cleared after closing menu. No shutdown like applet. Other then that it’s quite fine.

EDIT: This time installer worked and everything went fine.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick why would anybody want to download over 1gb then install over 1gb on a net install that does not make sense if you want to install full fat LXQT then download a community version install update maybe up-to 1gb of updates and that can break.
Net install small download install its up-to date job done, 6months 12 months on use same iso install latest version job done simple logic. The desktops only function on the net install is to run a GUI installer nothing more. CLI you don’t need even that.

@mandog, you missed the point above. If you treat it as net install, then yes, I agree, it has to be as light as possible, but I treated it as lxqt edition, so I expected full distro, not a minimal one. We came to the conclusion that the name and the whole situation was confusing (no full blown lxqt flavor) and it can be improved by proper naming.

So why is it only you that expected a full distro nobody else. it seems your the only one that has the problem does that not tell something “net install is what’s in the box not what’s on the box”:sunglasses::sunglasses:

Because I’m the least “geekiest” here :wink: and spoke up :imp:
I just would like to have more traditional LXQT edition as well since net one is clearly not that. It’s nothing vital but just for the completeness of Manjaro offer.
The reality is: I’m picking on it because it can be improved. Those are small details, but still. I care about Manjaro so I raise my voice. There is sometimes not enough casual users voice in the community. Geeks are too dominating in linux world. Manjaro is more widely oriented distro. Geeks and casuals can find something for themselves in Manjaro.

I see three very different use cases, so it is hard to make a single application ideally suited to all three.

The first is a live USB, with two mail live uses:

• Easy network connectivity and a web browser. I use this for banking.
  • Rescue USB. For repairing GRUB, etc.

The second use case is as a full installer. When the ISO is from a fresh release, it makes sense to grab the big ISO, and run the excellent Calamares main installer, and maybe have a few packages to update. But if the ISO is no longer fresh, then much of your download is immediately replaced (Kernel, Frameworks, DE, and Apps). So you download twice. For this use case, when the ISO is stale, a simple (check three boxes and get a full install) net install is very valuable. It would be even nicer if it were clearer on the packages panel that filling those three boxes was the equivalent of a full install. BTW, it might be nice to have a default full install for many Editions available with a check one box.

The third is the partial installer. This is best suited to experts who know exactly what they want.

I pulled out an old HP G62 and tried the LXQt net install. Ran the mirror-list command in live session first, install still took over an hour. Honestly thought it was hung, but eventually it finished. As michaldybczak noted above, the sound applet in the panel was broken, and I found pcmanfm-qt had defaulted to a Detailed list view instead of the Icon view I am used to. Have never had a distro do that before. Was that intended? Had to edit the .conf file to change it. Was VERY pleased to see the vertical panel was actually configured to work properly. Loving it.

Also added yaourt and built Chrome browser. I must have missed the step to include the AUR in the install. So overall a few hiccups but nothing too serious. I’m still new to Manjaro and Arch, but between the wikis and searching the forums had no problem learning what I needed to set things up to suit me. I’ll play with this some more. Kudos and many thanks. Lxqt is still pretty raw but this is an excellent implementation.

is this going to be limited only to lxqt or i can install kde-minimal with this with some tweaking?

One of the things I really like about the installer is that it appeals to both a newbie and an experienced user. A newbie simply selects all the top-level options and gets an LXQt full install with sane defaults. An experienced user can select exactly the packages needed.

Feature Request:

If this can be done without cluttering the UI, I think it would be great if there were maybe six additional options: Full and Minimal, for each of the three main editions (KDE, XFCE, and Gnome), assuming there are already meta-packages for these options.

Exactly manjaro arhitect is complex and time consuming. This method creates a nice blance between flexibility and usability.

Technically, the chrootcfg/netinstall calamares modules reads a yaml data file from url at run time.
This means, we could expand the yaml data file with other desktop environments, and the same livecd you use would immediately have new DEs selectable.

We just haven’t added any more, its a matter of decision, due to some improvements still needed in the calamares modules.
It will take some time, but goal would be to get there eventually.

Any chance of supported DE net edition?