Manjaro LXQt 17.0 (net edition)

It won’t start x, so from tty i enabled ethernet by modprobe al1c and then update mirrors and run mhwd -i pci video-intel. Unfortunately i don’t remember what error it was. Nothing was installed from firmware and previous relase of Manjaro LXqt installed without problem

i see 2 strange things in your report:

1. your ethernet was not enabled after a boot to tty. this is a strange problem, which i have never had.
  2. mhwd should install free (intel) video drivers automatically. maybe, the missing internet connection was the cause, maybe not. sorry, but i do not have any experience with intel video drivers and whether they require extra firmware packages.

maybe @artoo or other users can help here?

Yeah, mhwd needs internet. Norm ally im using wifi but don’t know how to enable it from tty so ethernet was easier

so your ethernet cable was not plugged in when booting the system?
this would explain a missing ethernet connection and therefore a missing intel driver.

you can set networkmanager to use ethernet or wifi using one of the following tools:

Or nmtui

Form my experience you don’t need Internet to get graphics drivers installed. At least not for normal cards.

Internet is required for net installs.
mhwd will download the drivers.

Why it’s not automated? It should save the connection we were using in installation or check for needed drivers in the process or use modeset driver then to bypass problem like this.

i do not know why networkmanager was not working for you automatically. if you have not installed “network-extra” packages, this could be the reason. i do not have the hardware to test this.
if more people start to complain about he same thing, i know for sure.

in the live system, in which calamares runs, all drivers and firmware are installed.
no information gets transferred from the live system to your installed system.

only the packages you select in calamares get installed to your hardware (or VM, if you install it in there).
with this ISO, we are giving the power of package customization to the user.

with great power comes great responsibility!

• you are talking about a feature of networkmanager: back up the current connection setting in a way that it can be imported to all future versions of netwrokmanager. i do not know, whether this is possible to do. if not, you would need to add this feature.
  • you also need to write a program, which saves that backup (of networkmanager) to the new installation. this means calamares would need to do that. you can recommend such a feature to calamares or program it yourself and do a pull request.

mhwd is doing this, but it needs the driver/firmware files in order to install them. if you neither install the firmware files nor have an internet connection, it fails.
(i am 90% certain it works that way)

i am not familiar with that.
but feel free to develop something like that (probably an extension of mhwd, which works with different network manager tools) and talk to the manjaro team how to best integrate it in manjaro.
i am pretty sure manjaro kde or manjaro xfce would integrate something like that.

Thanks for explanation :slight_smile:

TY. If you want quassel to simply work, the package to install is quassel-monolithic. Otherwise you can have your separately configured core and clients.

One thing I experimented with. I think you can boot the ISO, and follow these procedures:
Select Install, and then it will build an installation based on (in this case) unstable.

Testing ISO

The ISO would benefit from the newer pacman-mirrors as the mirrorlist installed has Africa has the first entry

That could be why the troubleshooting tip:

Is for me an absolute requirement. The install never works for me unless I do that from the live ISO.

I have made CAL chrootcfg module rank mirrors independently from boot service.
Its too unreliable with wlan and stuff.

I have noticed fasttrack -f 5 :100:

i have done about 10-15 installs until now on 3 different systems (and some in VM). i had that problem only once (and this is the reason i added the troubleshooting tip).

i agree that this ISO would benefit from an updated pacman-mirrors. i have also built some new versions of the ISO with the unstable branch. it works.
but the boot menu changed from syslinux to grub and in my opinion the grub boot menu (for live image) could still be improved to be more intuitive. IMHO, it is not a polished product yet.

but there is hardly a reason to release a new version, because the installed system is always up to date!

Why there is no manjaro settings in live version of this iso?

What for? Basically useless bloat in live session.

But isn’t live session suppose to be a show of a system, how it works, what it offers? I get there have to be some differences, but since live is a test drive, I would like to see everything.

Thinking like that would lead to: what do I need pamac for? Everything I install won’t be there after reboot. So pamac is a bloat. But people do install things on live session, just to try it. The same with manjaro settings.

I do like to check how system works, what I can do, what are its components and live version should provde that. All other normal iso’s do that. Manjaro kde do have manjaro settings and no one is complaining about it. I can see then that I can check kernels, I can install language packs and so on.

This lxqt net iso seems incomplete and not proffesionall as other iso’s because of such approach.