Manjaro LXQt 17.0 (net edition)

i actually see this ISO as a test case.

i have just created a github issue about the features i am still missing in calamares:

when these features are available (especially nested package groups), i think we can start to modify the chrootcfg-systemd-yaml file of the netinstall of manjaro:

as you can see, it already contains some DEs. but we could make much better, if only nested package groups were available.

yes it is.
but if you do not install manjaro-settings-manager, this package can be installed manually.

I have missed that :sweat_smile: … great…

Why not install by default msm or msm notifier ?

this was done on the old style ISOs, where a default installation was important.
with the new netinstaller feature of calamares, the “default installation” is obsolete: the user can pick the packages he wants to install and leave the other packages out.

for example, i never install msm on my system.

it looks like nested groups (a.k.a. subgroup feature) are already part of calamares (source:

The support for nested groups was added recently. The module README describes how to use this (look for “subgroups”), although the example YAML does not show the feature at the moment.

i do not have a clue how calamares works. does the quote above make sense to somebody of you (@artoo)?
where do i have to look for “subgroups”?
there is no string “subgroups” in any file in the entire calamares repository on github.

- name: 'filesystems'
  description: 'Extra Filesystems'
         - name: 'local'
           description: 'Local Filesystems'
           selected: false
           hidden: false
           critical: false
             - dmraid
         - name: 'net'
           description: 'Net Filesystems'
           selected: false
           hidden: false
           critical: false
             - nfs-utils

Something like this should work from a quick look at code.

Here’s a working example with subgroups I used for some experiments with a cinnamon hybrid a while ago:
NB. You need to be precise with indenting! yaml is extremely picky about the format! :wink:

So far my test failed.

1. In live version I couldn’t run install from desktop (icon seem to be almost not interactive), so I have to find it in menu.
  2. I wanted net install so I choose most essential packages plus few additional ones but without lxqt ones, then I forwarded with my installation. Installer showed something about chroot and was barely moving. The problem was: there was no info on what is happening, no showing that files are being downloaded, installed. Even in terminal we get more. If I didn’t know that packages are downloaded, I would think that installation stuck, because it lasted so long.
  3. When installer finished its job, I rebooted and got into cli. It turned out I can’t do anything because there is no mirror file, no internet service, locale problems and whatnot. Basically, system was garbage, no way to fix it quickly.

Did the installer even bothered to check mirrors in the first place? Maybe it didn’t and that is why it took so long to download files? Without any output on what is happening we are left with long wait and wild ideas.

In contrast, I tested Manjaro-Architect and although that installation was very complicated, it was a full success.

What happened to Manjaro Net edition?

We may have a mirrorlist bug in stable branch, pacman-mirrors received changes, and its a package bug fixed in unstable and testing already.

Right, without mirror ranking, its takes very long time, you’ve had bad luck and encountered a bug.

I don’t know what I can say to express I hate this net edition deeply. sorry about my words and sorry about my bad English skill. I am really missing the “good old days”, “when people were killed by other people.” How to install lxqt 17.0 in the old way? Are there any iso available other than net edition? The reasons why I hate this deeply are:
(1) not everyone connected to internet. you can easily access internet does not mean everyone can access internet in the world. I need to install linux to many PCs which do not have internet access at all. It’s ok that you want to provide internet installation choice, BUT why don’t you give someone like me a choice that I don’t want an net install? If I don’t connect to the internet, the installer just can’t continue.
(2) If I have to pick up what packages to install, why don’t I use archlinux instead of manjaro? What is the point of manjaro? I like manjaro because I don’t need to do all the manual installation steps. it’s fine you want to provide a way to install extra packages, but why don’t you give someone like me a choice to install what the iso has? If I need to pick what packages to be installed, I prefer installing archlinux directly instead of manjaro again.
This is really a bad news to manjaro lxqt. What a pity!!!

Very constructive.

Your complaint is, you may select or deselect packages.

As for your example, you install on say 10 machines manjaro the old way from a 2 months old iso.
You gonna have to update all 10 machine with 200 package updates for each machine after install, genius!

A rolling distro without internet is not really best choice.

I can agree with this statement.
However, with some thought @sgon00 could do the following:

• edit /etc/pacman.conf in the live environment uncommenting
    XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u
    to make wget download the packages. It would resume downloading if the connection breaks and comesback. This canalso be applied later on the installed system.
  • mount a usb stick for example on /var/cache/pacman/pkg
    sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /var/cache/pacman/pkg
    to get the downloaded packages saved on it. Then on a new install he can mount the stick again with the same command and pacman wouldn’t download the packages again.

i agree with the statements above.

the reason is simple: this version of manjaro lxqt is made by artoo and me. we develop, build, test, and release the version we want as a COMMUNITY edition.

@Esclapion did the previous versions of manjaro lxqt (i helped with some). he has only developed, built, tested, and released the versions he wanted as a COMMUNITY edition:

community editions can be released by anybody at anytime.
if you want an ISO of manjaro lxqt, which only installs the packages on the live ISO, then start to research how to build manjaro ISOs and build such an ISO yourself (and release it as community edition). rather than complaining, do something which helps yourself and others!
here are some links to start with:
i am fairly confident that everything you want can be achieved by changing 2 lines of code in the profile.conf file.

Why would he have to do that?

Did you not read where he said these 10 machines have no internet access at all?

If he could get LXQt installed it should run just fine. He doesn’t have to worry about updates, or network vulnerabilities or being hacked, because he has only a local network (or maybe no network what so ever).

Maybe he runs his own package server in-house? Maybe its a school Computer Lab setting and internet access is not allowed? There are many scenarios where people run computers with no internet access at all.

Note: I also disregard a lot of the fear-mongering about having to apply updates the instant they come out. A rolling release does not have to continuously roll. If it was good enough to put out an official ISO image it should work just fine off of that ISO image for years and years in an off-internet environment. If you can make a case why that CAN’T work, then perhaps Manjaro should never make any ISO again, and move entirely to Net Install ONLY.

I do agree that this is where a net edition is the wrong choice and a full installer CDRom/DVD would be a better choice. Unfortunately Manjaro Devs can’t make a complete ISO for every spin.

This thread is discussing only your net install.

Perhaps there is a full install image for LXQt somewhere that is not mentioned in this thread. I looked HERE but couldn’t find it by name. The actual LXQt Download link on the community editions page takes you to a place that doesn’t even have any file with LXQt in its name?!!!?

(Finding anything on the Manjaro Community Spins is always a hit or miss adventure. The whole sourceforge site needs a fresh coat of bulldozer IMHO).

The @eugen-b solution may also work by just mirroring the entire Manjaro main repositories on a small computer (RaspberryPi) which gets updated when an internet connection is available, and carried to the other machines (or a local only network) as needed. Sort of a Slow Rolling Portable Repository).

(1) My complaint is: the iso provides net install and packages selection are fine. But it should not take away the traditional way of installation.
(2) I like manjaro is because I like manjaro. A rolling update is just one feature of manjaro or archlinux. It’s not all manjaro has. Because I don’t need a rolling update feature, so I should switch to other distro, this sounds really stupid.
(3) The examples about update all 10 machines after install are not applicable. why? Because they DO NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS. Those machines will not update packages at all after install.
(4) One more reason I hate net install is because you will never know how pain it is when you do net install with a slow network. Again, not everyone has a fast network in the world. I can run pacman -Syu in the background after OS installation. This is fine. I can still work and use the OS while the update is running in the background. Can you imagine that you are installing a linux and wait for more than 10 hours for the OS installation to complete because of slow network access? You can’t do anything and you can’t use the machine because it’s doing net installation. I am sure you never had this headache before. The nightmare I had when I was trying to install ubuntu/fedora and the network connection enabled by mistake. After those nightmare days, I never enable network during OS installation. That’s crazy. There are more stories about crazy network installation. For instance, I would have to add some domain to and run a web server and host the required files locally in order for package installer work because of slow internet access. I had to download that file manually with some tricks and some tools which the package installer will never be able to handle. anyway, I will stop here. you never have these problems because you are lucky and live in a lucky country.

@eugen-b Thank you very much for your tip. I will definitely try that.

I want an ISO of manjaro lxqt. it’s true. I think complaint can always make things better. I think you disagree. There is a saying in my country, something like “the person who complains is a buyer”. not sure if this makes sense in English or not. I want a manjaro lxqt and I want it to become better and better. Thanks for providing the two links about how to build my own custom lxqt iso. I think when I start to build my own iso, manjaro lxqt team lost an user. I think it’s OK for you to lose an user. :slight_smile:

@jsamyth Thank you very much for your support. :slight_smile:

manjaro is free/open source. this means you can build your own ISO and it is encouraged to share your ISO with other people (as we do) :wink:

I would use like the 3 Debian DVDs which have all necessary (and some unnecessary) packages

I haven’t actually looked into this myself, but if you say you don’t care about keeping your machines up to date, maybe there is an old (or very old) version which is built the way you want? It might take some digging to find it though.

Not sooo difficult and not THAAT old actually :wink:
16.11 is the newest we currently stll have available:

Because a rolling distro iso is always a snapshot of the repos at build date. If you happen to have bad luck and the iso has somewhere a faulty packlage, you replicate the error and still need to update eg 10 machines.
A rolling distro is not really made to hold back update for half a year. Update regularly, and you only install once and never again. If you don’t want regular updates, I am afraid, a point release distro is simply the better choice.
Mass deployment is better done with a cloned hdd image, or local network install. all you need is the package cache once.

I can give you a very good example why our netinstall approach means less overall work for us maintaining and deploying install media.

Look at the mesa/gl stuff we broke recently.
All iso that extract the squash images need to be rebuild with new updated packages, whereas our netinstall doesn’t care for that, It pulls latest packages.If those isos are not rewbuilt, people download say 17.0 and will have to update packages, a lot, after install.