Manjaro LXQt 17.0 (net edition)

the manjaro team (namely artoo and philm) has expanded calamares in the last months and adopted our tools to support a new net-install feature of calamares.
based on their work, i am able to release manjaro lxqt 17.0 (to be precise, the systemd ISOs. artoo buids the openrc ISOs).

the new manjaro lxqt 17.0 is completely different from previous ISO images:

• previous manjaro ISOs worked like this: you can boot a livecd and manjaro lxqt appeared on your screen. you could play around with it and install it to your hard drive (using the calamares installer). calamares installed (almost) all packages from the livecd to your hard drive. you probably had to update some packages to the latest version after booting into your installed system.

• the manjaro lxqt 17.0 ISO works in a similar way: you can boot a livecd and manjaro lxqt appeares on your screen. you can play around with it and start calamares. calamares offers you a choice of packages you can install. all pacakges you select get downloaded from the manjaro mirror servers (the latest version of those packages. please wait until that is done!) and installed to your hard drive.

• if you do not select any additional packages, manjaro is installed in a minimal net edition. this system will boot to tty and has a basic internet connection (because only “base” package group, kernel, boot loader, networkmanager, and 10 essential manjaro packages are installed).
    WARNING: if no network is found on your system, please select (needed) “network-extra” packages.
    such a bare minimum install is much more basic than my previously released manjaro net-minimal edition. If you know what you are doing, you can deselect packages in calamares and end up with an even lighter system.

• if you select all packages, a fully functioning, manjaro-themed lxqt system with even more packages than on the livecd is installed to your hard drive. this installation method is recommended for beginners, who want to install a manjaro lxqt system.

• there are currently efforts to create a CLI installer for manjaro linux. such a CLI installer can reduce the ISO size dramatically compared to manjaro lxqt 17.0. i do not have the intention to decrease the ISO size as much as possible. instead, i want to present a rather nice looking lxqt system to the user, which has some rescue tools already preinstalled:

• qupzilla (simple internet browser for visiting this forum and downloading manjaro ISOs)

• manjaro-tools-base (for chrooting into existing manjaro systems)

• imagewriter (for “burning” ISO images to an usb drive)

• partitionmanager (to partition your hard drive)

please keep in mind that this is my first release of this kind. the net-install feature of calamares is also really fresh. there are still some deficiencies. nevertheless, feel free to suggest improvements below.

Download Manjaro Linux Community

• the root account for all manjaro live systems is:

• username: manjaro
    • password: manjaro
  • in some (seemingly random) cases, an extremely slow manjaro mirror is set up for you. in this case, downloading packages during installation will need EXTREMELY long and sometimes never finish at all.
    in order to prevent this, open a terminal in the livecd and execute the following command before you install manjaro lxqt 17.0 (net edition):

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip && sudo pacman -Syy

• if the above mentioned method still does not work, you should start the GUI installer in debug mode by executing the following command in the terminal. this will show a lot of output, including the package, which currently gets downloaded. this gives you some feedback of the installation progress. if package download is much slower than you are used to, something went wrong with the command listed above. please execute it again!

sudo -E calamares -d

• the default audio server is “alsa”. this means that the volume widget in the panel will NOT work, if you install pulseaudio (which gets installed, when you mark all packages!). in order to make the volume widget/applet work, right click it and select “configure volume control” --> tick “PulseAudio” and enter “pavucontrol-qt” as external mixer.

Why Manjaro instead of Arch or Antergos
Manjaro Net Edition 17?
Manjaro net (lxqt) - WIP
Manjaro net (lxqt) - WIP
Going for the jugular
No updates for Minimal Net Edition?
Improving robustness, resilience and forgiveness of Manjaro
Install ISO for servers
[HELP] Installing Manjaro 17.0 stable LXQt doesn't go further 28%
Is Manjaro netinstall still a thing?
Why does Manjaro load intel_ucode.img on AMD?
Manjaro Net/LXQt 17.0.2
What is the essence of Manjaro?
[SOLVED]Broken installation LXQt
Manjaro Net/LXQt 17.0.5
Manjaro lxqt release date?
Do you fancy a bare minimal KDE iso?
What happened to Manjaro Net edition?

Great job!

Difficult for me to know what to select, I do not know this enviromment
On desktop a small text file with descriptives would be a plus

We now have a rescue and installer platform, that can be enhanced in terms of desktop selection without rebuilding the iso. We could add plasma for exampe.
So changes to package selection can be done in a minute, and the same release iso will immediately use them.
It an attempt to reduce the need for building releases that often, since the install will produce an up to date system.

i can understand you.
i also had to look up the function of a few of those packages, despite being familiar with low-level packages.

this is just the first iteration. the system currently in place, which lets you select packages is not really nice and very limit (while being already really powerful as artoo has described). i really want the ability

• to have a descriptive text next to all package names and/or pop-ups
  • to create groups of groups of packages
  • to have groups, in which the user can only select one package (e.g. either openbox or kwin)

i am sure calamares will improve in that regard in the future.

until then, i recommend to experiment with the packages you want to install. if you do not select any additional packages, you already got a working system. just add what you want (this is the arch way of doing things).
alternatively, you can select all packages and only deselect packages you absolutely do not want (this would be more the manjaro kde way of doing things).

no pre-installed mhwd-chroot ?

but manjaro-chroot (as explained in the announcement text in the OP).

there is also no gparted, but partitionmanager.

also, octopi is installed by default. this enables you to install further packages easily.
you might have to install yaourt and base-devel if you want to install AUR pacakegs:

sudo pacman -S base-devel yaourt

ah yes!! I have become so accustomed to mhwd-chroot I missed this.
Thanks for the great work

Thank you for your hard work :wink:
I burned this ISO to a USB STICK and tried to install the system on a DELL inspiron 1525 2008 laptop
but it hangs in the middile of the installation
and takes long long time without any progress it hangs to 23% sometimes to 32%
taking hours and hours but 0 result…
dunno what’s making this

Thank you again

Looks like mirror ranking didn’t work.

Can you please post output in live session of

cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Please do in live session

sudo pacman-mirrors -m rank --geoip

before starting installer.

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip && sudo pacman -Syy
before starting the installation process worked for me

Rank Mirrors immediately after Installation

please look at the bottom of the OP:

Thank you
I did that and everything worked for me :wink:

Thank you, did that…everything is working atm

no need for the mirrolist
I did the rank mirror thing and I got it running fine

sudo pacman-mirrors -m rank --geoip

I’d recommend dropping the --geoip part. Its not reliable, and it is pointless to select a close mirror these days.

We can do that, and use fasttrack instead.

How about a random selection of say 10 mirrors and ranking them?

What is fasttrack ? Never heard of it.
pacman-mirrors -rank does all you need to do.

“-m rank” is the default setting for pacman-mirrors, if at least 1 argument is given. therefore, “sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip” or “sudo pacman-mirrors -c Germany” is enough to rank mirrors. if “–geoip” does not find a country, it uses ALL mirror to ranks (= sudo pacman-mirrors -g).

the fasttrack option is a new option developed by fhdk. read artoo’s links. but fhdk also improves other part of pacman-mirrors!