Manjaro LXDE 17.0.1

lxde
community-edition

I added it at number 31. All I needed to do was to create an account in the wiki.lxde.org. It didn’t needed any verification or anything after I made the changes :stuck_out_tongue: I only need to edit the page when you click on “Manjaro” link and add some info and maybe instructions similar to the other links (I’m kinda bored to do it right now, but most likely I will just put a few info and then put a link to the relevant arch link for instructions and other things). Thx for bringing this into my attention!

EDIT: I added just a few lines here: https://wiki.lxde.org/en/Manjaro after all.

I think it will be, especially for the reasons you mentioned and for the reasons anybody will test it, will be impressed. :wink:

I just received this announcement over email and it is sad not to see LXDE as a part of the next release. Is this disregard for all this good work or something I do not understand? Is there a problem with LXDE on 17.02?

![][1]

Manjaro Gellivara was a great release! Now we are proud to announce our third release candidate of v17.0.2, which fixes a lot of issues we had with our original release of Gellivara. It took us almost another two months to prepare this updated release. This time we ship ISO images of XFCE, KDE and our Gnome edition for 32 and 64 bit systems.

I believe there must be many LXDE faithful users out there that may never try Manjaro as it shows no support for LXDE.

These users should rather educate themselves what the substance of a distro is. The packages are supported, the installer is supported - ergo the edition is supported. And, please, no “But” as answer.

The manjaro developers try to provide little options for official editions, so that they can really give people the best experience they can from this Operating System. It used to be only xfce and kde, but then Gnome was added, I believe due to its increased popularity. So, these are the editions that should be recommended for new users too.

However, in my opinion all Community editions have just as good quality as the Official ones nowadays (I cannot think of any exception). So, don’t expect any new official editions, unless there’s really a good reason (maybe budgie 11 will have a chance for that in the future, if it can provides an awesome user experience as I expect it to do).

But?

and

But!

Thano, is there a conflict between LXDE and i3 dm if they coexist? It seemed as I attempted to install it warned that Manja-LXDE settings would be removed.

I’m not 100% sure but I think that the manjaro settings packages all conflict with each other. Are you attempting to install the manajaro i3 settings package or just the i3 window manager itself?

Yep what @shaneramone said is true. The packages manjaro-desktop-settings conflict with each other (it’s basically one PKGBUILD which gets split into multiple packages like manjaro-lxde-settings, manjaro-mate-settings, etc…) and that is done because many times they contain the same file (like /etc/skel/hexchat/… files) with different configurations, so it’s not possible to be installed at the same time.

Every other i3 package that I tried installs fine on my system without any conflict.

It would be nice to have something like manjaro-desktop-settings-lxde and manjaro-desktop-settings-i3 so we could install the different desktops.

Well that’s kinda impossible because for example in manjaro-lxde-settings I set at /etc/skel/.config/hexchat/hexchat.conf the default nickname as manjaroLXDE, where at manjaro-mate-settings has the same file /etc/skel/.config/hexchat/hexchat.conf with default nickname manjaro-mate, so pacman would complain for file conflict if you tried to install both at the same time, even if they were separate/independent packages.

The only way I can think of installing multiple pre-customized Desktop Environments is with separate users as I have described here:

Which is just another good reason for some standardization. Installing or upgrading a program should nothing to do with what DE you use. IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback but I am still not clear whether I can have both i3 and lxde simultaneously or will the manjaro-settings for the one will affect the other.

I actually do not know what is in those settings.

The settings package is only relevant (with the exception of gtk3 environments) during creation of a new user account, i.e. when /etc/skel gets copied to the new $HOME directory.
So what you can simply do is: install a different settings package and remove the conflicting one. When you now create a new user you can launch a session with the new environment and you will have all the preconfiguration of the other edition.