Manjaro LXDE 17.0.1

lxde
community-edition

I used manjaro architect to install Lxde and it woked wellon an old Hp elitebook 2530p

You can use the manjaro architect if you want. You can select full or minimal installation and it will install the manjaro-lxde-settings package so you will have all the modifications. The only difference is that it won’t include the /etc files which are shown here:

But you can add them manually afterwards.

EDIT: Btw I find it weird that you had problem with the live boot but not after the installation. I believe the difference on resources demand should be little. Maybe you have really low gpu memory…

Nope, it also installs the overlay files. Not the live-overly, but the desktop overlay. It clones the git repo or uses iso-profiles package for this.

Hmmm I just did an install and it didn’t include my /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.

EDIT: It didn’t include my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf either

I can’t check right now, but are these files maybe recent additions that are not included in the current iso-profiles package?

Aaaa yeah you are right!

@Chrysostomus manjaro-iso-profiles-community doens’t include the last changes that’s why I didn’t see them.

What I was having a problem with were the screens BEFORE the live-boot actually boots.
I’m referring to where it asks keyboard and language and time settings. There are a bunch of text mode fields, where selecting ANY of them popped up a black box that covered up everything. Nothing appeared in this black box, and hitting escape or enter caused it to go away. And there was no obvious way off the that screen. No visible controls to say Ok, go ahead with the install.

I really don’t know how I got it to proceed beyond that point.

Are you talking about the grub live theme?

Because this exists on all new ISOs, including manjaro architect.

Yup. That’s the one.
The environment I was installing into was A Vmware Workstation (12.5.5)
And it behaves just as badly on architect, ( I just tried it moments ago).

When I make a selection I get this:

The window goes black, If I sit there long enough it MAY paint a popup with some choices, or I may just have to hit escape and hope it takes me back.

Take a look at that screen What am I supposed to do after I have made all the choices. Whats the next step? Where is the hint for what the next step might be? Under help? Nope. nothing there.

Lets try reboot… Nope, brings me right back here.

So, like I said, I have no recollection how I got past this with LXDE, I was trying all sorts of things, and suddenly it worked, but I don’t recall what was the last thing I did.

And I’m just as baffled on architect. I booted from the architect CDrom. No clear indication of what next.

I’m pretty new to this stuff. I’ve only been installing various flavors of Linux since 1998.

Most of LXDE is now GTK3 does not sound like its dying out any time soon to me, arch has both GTK2/GTK3 versions in the main repros you are out of touch very much so, LXQT is not yet stable and just a hobby

Its more than a hobby. Its quite stable from what I’ve seen, just far from complete.
Even Lubuntu has delayed their previously announced switch to QT.

The other thing is, on LXQt, you end up having to load the GTK (2 or 3 or both) anyway. Firefox or Thunderbird or any random Ubuntu applications are likely to drag them in.

So you end up having QT, and GTK tool sets (and maybe multiple versions) installed - in the name of lightness.

Manjaro is no different.

Manjaro Settings Manager is done in QT5, Pamac is GTK3, Octopi is QT5 and Firefox needs both GTK2 and GTK3…

So XFCE and Gnome editions will have QT5, GTK2 and GTK3 out of the box.
KDE will be QT5 only, if you take the minimal profile which uses qupzilla (QT5).

You’d better create a new topic describing this problem and maybe you can fix this with some Vmware Workstation settings. Also, give it a try with Virtualbox as well and provide your inxi -Fxx in the new topic in order to give as much info as possible. Feel free to @mention my name to the new topic so that I can get notified, but I’m not sure if I can do much to help since I have no experience with Vmware.

Well said @jsamyth! This is absolutely 100% in line with MY philosophiy! I have an i7-4470 CPU, with 16GB RAM, running a heavily customized version of LXDE, with fuller featured software “pigs” for my heavy duty grunt work. It simply blazes on my rig, and LXDE is the best OS, IMO, for the combination of lightweight OS and heavy-duty programs! Good call!

Manjaro LXDE is looking phenomenal @Thanos_Apostolou! The reviewer is practically gushing, and rightfully so…you have produced an excellent distro here!

When you first announced your intentions to produce an LXDE version of Manjaro, I was glad to hear it, as lack of LXDE was a glaring hole in the Manjaro ecosystem, IMO. But I was also a little nervous, as it sounded like you weren’t an LXDE user and perhaps not as familiar with LXDE’s quirks and conventions. I was quick to offer any help you might need to get you kickstarted with LXDE, but my concerns was unfounded…you just ran with it, and I couldn’t be happier with your work product. From tweaks of the LXDE interface to aesthetic considerations…it all just works and is quite obviously a Manjaro distro!

I just can’t seem to say enough good things about your efforts! Kudos and THANK YOU for putting together and maintaining this distro! I dig it!

Thx for your nice words!!

Lxde was one of the first DE I used when I switched to linux and I was using it for quite some time. So, even though now I’m not using it, it has a special place in my heart and I will give my best efforts to keep this edition well maintained in the future.

Ok. I’ll update the profiles packages right now.

LXDE JMW are light weight open canvasses and like others I have ram to spare but Gnome/KDE/Cinnamon in comparison are sluggish it feels as if programs are instant opening nothing is in the way OB/LXDE JWM, + nothing to stop you adding eye candy if you want to.

It’s true. When I first started to create this edition I was using gnome (I used it for 1 month before I got so fed up with it and switched back to mate). The funny thing is, that I was testing the lxde edition on virtual box (using 2 cpu cores out of 8 and 1.5 GB ram out of 8) and everything was much smoother and faster there comparing to gnome which was running on the real hardware :joy:

KDE has surprised me lately in a positive way and I might switch to it at some point in the future. Kwin effects are much smoother comparing to gnome-shell/mutter and cinnamon-shell/muffin IMO.

Gnome can be made much faster and very light on ram like older version of KDE it has thing running in the background that are supposed to make life easier for the user once disabled ram in my case 350-375mb Nvidia -non free at start-up and then Gnome runs in turbo boost, JWM the programs literally seem to jump out the screen at you I mean before the mouse is fully clicked. I used OB for years always ended up with LXDE or fluxbox on top but LXDE is complete and that is what makes it shine and nice to Know its one of the 1st light DEs to go GTK3, In days of old it was known as Gnome2 with out the bloat.