Manjaro long installation time

Why does manjaro take so long to install ? Windows 10 installation takes 2-3 times less time… I have top end usb drive (ssd like speeds, manjaro iso gets burned to it in 5 seconds) that i use to install os from, top end pc (nvme m2 ssd, 2700x cpu…), and it seems that manjaro/linux doesnt use it at all. Big amount of time is spent on “unsquash filesystem”. What kind of actions does manjaro do during installation ? Is it possible to make custom manjaro iso images, that would remove those bottlenecks ?

choose erase entire disk and install its blazing fast

Its not possible, i am dual booting windows and linux.

A Manjaro installation depending on the chosen DE will, on reasonable highend hardware, take approx. 10-15 minutes.

Comparing that to Windows stating Windows is using 2-3 times less time seems totally out of proportion.

Manjaro live ISO is build of four different xz compressed files which is unpacked on installation.

The files are

• Live image - which is what you see in live - it has e.g. Calamares which the others has not
  • Desktop image - which is the final desktop layout
  • Root image - which is the base system
  • Mhwd image - which is the different driver packages

Roughly this happens when you install Manjaro

• The Root image is unpacked
  • The Desktop image is unpacked on top the root image
  • The detected hardware’s drivers is unpacked from the Mhwd image

If the unpacking takes more than 5-10 minutes you have a hardware problem or the ISO is not complete, which leads to the questions:

• Did you verify the checksum of the ISO file after download?
  • Did you use Rufus DD mode to write your USB stick?
  • Did you read the Windows dual boot tutorial?

1.8GiB data does get written to USB in 5 seconds so

• Have you used the eject function - ensuring all data is written to USB before you remove it?

Your statement

it seems that manjaro/linux doesnt use it at all

leads to the thought that your Windows system is shutdown with hybrid sleep enabled and the filesystem is locked and thus the installation is done to the USB stick.

It is an easy task to customize and build Manjaro ISO but it will not remove the type of bottleneck you describe.

can you return

inxi -Fxxxz

how have you created iso USB stick ?

inxi -Fxxxz
System:    Host: aaa Kernel: 4.19.4-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.13.2git-UNKNOWN 
           tk: Gtk 3.24.1 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.28.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF X470-PLUS GAMING v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends 
           v: 4026 date: 08/24/2018 
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 127797 
           Speed: 3345 MHz min/max: 2200/4000 MHz boost: disabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3203 2: 3380 3: 2563 4: 2899 5: 1829 
           6: 1830 7: 2565 8: 2881 9: 2665 10: 2994 11: 2665 12: 2953 13: 1774 14: 1774 15: 2561 16: 2895 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] driver: nvidia v: 415.18 bus ID: 0a:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1b80 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia compositor: compton resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 415.18 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.1 chip ID: 10de:10f0 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 0c:00.3 chip ID: 1022:1457 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.4-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8168 v: 8.045.08-NAPI 
           port: f000 bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.61 TiB used: 864.54 GiB (52.5%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 PRO 512GB size: 476.94 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 
           serial: <filter> rev: 1B2QEXP7 scheme: GPT 
           ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Extreme Pro size: 238.50 GiB serial: <filter> scheme: MBR 
           ID-3: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD My Passport 0827 size: 931.48 GiB serial: <filter> 
           rev: 1012 scheme: MBR 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 58.62 GiB used: 7.06 GiB (12.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 34.9 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 41 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 gpu: nvidia fan: 0% 
Info:      Processes: 287 Uptime: 4h 22m Memory: 15.66 GiB used: 1.48 GiB (9.4%) Init: systemd v: 239 Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 
           Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.27

I use rufus with dd mode to burn iso to usb drive.

Iso file is not corrupted, and usb drive is safely ejected.

Yes, i did most of those dual boot instructions, but those are to make it work, to be able to boot manjaro installation in the first place, nothing there should impact installation speed.

My windows install doesnt use hybrid/fast boot or anything like that.

as i have said installing by erasing entire disk is faster than resizing your windows partition and installing alongside.dual booting is not recommended way.

But that really shouldnt matter, the partitions are already created before installing manjaro, and all manjaro installation has to do is quick format already existing partition to ext4, which takes 2-3 seconds. Maybe manjaro installation is broken in the same way that ubuntu is since stoneage - if there is internet connection during setup, it tries to automatically download updates and some other ■■■■, and installation takes forever then. Gonna try to uplug lan cable next time.

I can tell you for sure that a Manjaro installation from any ISO but Manjaro-Architect can be done fully offline. The only thing Calamares installer does if network is available is getting your timezone based on your public IP. It does that by contacting https://geoip.kde.org/v1/calamares

As I explained in earlier post all files are present - it is just a matter of unpacking.

I have a Clevo machine with m.2 nvme disk and the installation is done within the timeframe described earlier.

Also I did a test on a #bladebook class laptop and the time spent on unpacking on this Atom powered laptop from clicking Start to Reboot was 6 minutes.

From your answers to my questions you seem to have taken all precautions to ensure a successful installation.

But whatever is the issue, it is likely not the Manjaro ISO but something local for your system - we just don’t know yet what it is.

We just have to keep digging.

Do you disconnect your USB drives when installing, using only the live USB stick and the internal nvme disk?

Yes, i disconnect all external hdds before installing any os, only usb stick is connected to the pc.

Are there any logs that i could save right after installation, before restarting pc, that could tell more about what is going on during installation ?

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.