Manjaro Linux 16.10.1 XFCE on Thinkpad T430. Works fine after a few tweaks. Totally worth it

Hi,

Huge heartfelt “Thank You” to the Manjaro linux developer/tester/documentation folks!!

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 which is now running Manjaro Linux only. The installation experience was great because th installation guide is really good. I just had to follow it and install Manjaro Linux. I did a vanilla install.

After installing the updates, going through the infinality installation instructions given here (which was not too difficult to follow), I am all set. It indeed is a slick computing experience.

Pamac is simply awesome. I could easily install a lot of required tools pretty easily.

I was on a different linux OS earlier and it was great, but many of the required packages were at a considerably older versions. Manjaro being a rolling distro seems to have the updated versions of most of the tools I need.

Although familiar with linux command line, it will take me a while to get used to manjaro’s pacman and ilk, but looking forward to learning it.

Big thanks once again.

Regards,
pritesh

2 Likes

It might be worth noting that since version 2.7 freetype2 has taken the infinality optimizations on board (and it seems that as a result the infinality repos are no longer updated).

Quoting from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration:

Subpixel hinting mode configured in the file /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh which includes a brief documentation. Possible values are truetype:interpreter-version=35 (classic mode/2.6 default), truetype:interpreter-version=38 (“Infinality” mode), truetype:interpreter-version=40 (minimal mode/2.7 default).

So there is no need to install Infinality separately anymore. Just set FT2_SUBPIXEL_HINTING to truetype:interpreter-version=38 in /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh.

2 Likes

Hi Jeancf,

Thank you for the update. I followed the instructions and it worked totally fine.
I also added .fonts.conf in my /home directory.

On a completely different note, I also happen to update the kernel to 4.9. Totally painless and easy. This is the best linux OS I have ever used.

Kudos to the developer team.

Regards,
Pritesh

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark