Manjaro keeps shutting down randomly

I have been experiencing this issue with several linux distros(Ubuntu,Pop,Arch) that , my laptop shuts down randomly.
Its like One second I am working on it and the next second it shuts off, like no shutting down or whatever the shutdown sequence is it just skipped and it is as Off it can be.like completely blank screen.(If this fact matters to anyone my laptop battery has died and it doesn’t charge anymore it needs to be connected to Electricity to work.)

I did a bit a of googling and found out that this may be a overheating issue(that maybe my fans are not working) but my windows works perfectly fine(I am dual booting).(Also there is a setting enabled i my bios which sets fans to always ON.)

It also should not be a bootloader issue as from what I understand popOS uses a different bootloader and not grub and it still had the same issue.

If this is any helpful there were no issues with Ubuntu 18.04(I don’t remember the exact version) although i was due some updates at that time. The issues started when I installed Ubuntu 20.04 in its place and the issues have continued.

After this I installed arch,pop and then manjaro but the issues have continued.

Temperatures can easily be monitored by entering

sensors

in a terminal. Sudden shutdowns seem to be rather a hardware linked issue than an OS or software problem, otherwise more people would have this problem.

1 Like

I tried it before.
I installed some software called xsensors.(it checks live CPU temperatures. )
I kept an eye at the temperatures but it shut down at 40-55°C

I doubt this is the reason for your problem (unless your sensors are defect). 40 - 60 °C is a normal temperature.

You could try other kernels, to see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

The above sounds to me like it is a problem with either the connector of the power cable, the cable itself ─ maybe a hidden kink? ─ or possibly the power supply or the motherboard.

If your laptop is old enough for the battery to have died, then you might have a machine from the days that almost all power supplies and many motherboards and video cards were built with faulty capacitors.

This was due to an unknown problem at the company in South-East Asia where most computer and peripheral manufacturers in turn bought their capacitors. There was a chemical element in the capacitors that would over time become active as a kind of acid and burn the capacitors up from the inside out. The first visual signs would be bloating of the capacitors, and then they would start leaking.

The problem was discovered only much later, and of course, by that time, a large number of devices and peripherals had already been manufactured and sold, all with those faulty capacitors in them. This situation persisted for several years.

Either way, it is definitely a hardware issue, not an OS issue. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

battery is disconnected from notebook?

No. It is connected.

your need to disconnect a battery from notebook. if battery not removable, just open notebook, turn off baterry power connector from motherboard and no use broken and empty battery anymore. work with power adapter from power lines

Battery is removable. Let me try.

Although next reply may take some time as it can take anywhere from 5 min. To maybe even 2 hrs for it to shutdown.

Battery disconnect didn’t work so I am trying out a different kernel (4.19 LTS).

I will try this now i have installed and booted from (4.19lts) which i think is what they used in ubuntu 18.04LTS(which worked fine.). Will update if I see results

I am a bit late but I am also having the exact same issue.

I can run Windows 10 at 103°C without any shutdowns. While writing this, my CPU is at 49 °C (output of “sensors” command).
However, when I try to run ANY linux, it just randomly shutdowns. Even with Arch + KDE only.
I checked the jornalctl logs:

[Some random log from a min ago]
--Reboot--
[Normal boot logs]

There is no date & time before --Reboot-- while there is on other logs.

I tried multiple kernels but with 4.19.160-1-MANJARO x86_64 I get fewer random shutdowns. Also installing “thermald” helped with fewer shutdowns. Also adding thermal.nocrt=1 to grub didn’t do anything.

What I noticed is, shutdowns occur when doing graphical tasks such as running Zoom, CSGO etc.

It seems like it’s a temperature issue HOWEVER, as I said I can run Windows 10 at 103°C peak and ~78°C average while I run linux at 55 °C average and 75°C peak.
(No, I have never experienced shutdowns on Windows 10.)
(75°C linux only occurs when I run Zoom/CSGO)

i have the same issue
This has started from the kernel 5.9 update
i even reinstalled the os with kernel 5.4 after update it has the same issues
some forums stated it is the cpu and gpu temps that result in crashing
but dont know about that i have tried updating gpu driver with no improvement
i will jump back to previous kernel and see if it stops and reply to you

Try passing nomodeset as kernel parameter from grub.
Your computer performance will take a hit but it should start working just fine.

Atleast my laptop has stopped randomly shutting down.

I cannot post links so just search:
How to pass nomodeset as a kernel parameter

Also as a side note I tried 4.19 as well as 4.14 and they didn’t work for me. So they might work for you or they might not.

Added nomodest but I got stuck on boot logo. And then I replaced nomodeset with nouveau.modeset=0 However, I still experience reboots.

Yeah for me too, manjaro does not start with nomodeset as a parameter.

However (and i know this is not a solution) ubuntu based distros work just fine with nomodeset.

Or you can start another thread related to the issue.

I’m having the same issues, did any of you pin point the source?

It looks like it happens sometimes when I open a new window.
Used to be when I opened spotify or something, but after reading this thread I tried spamming terminals (alacritty, which is pretty GPU intensive) and the power just got cut off immediately.

Are any of you using nvidia drivers?

I updated to the newest drivers as suggested here:
/t/quesion-about-nvidia-drivers/45836

(lol sorry can’t post links)

At first I just ran pacman -Syu
After restart lightdm failed to start, so I switched into a TTY (ctrl+alt+F1-12) and ran sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 and it works now.

I think it has something to do with CPU temperature sensor. When I do some heavy tasks, I observe the sensor with a widget and “Package id 0:” (when you execute “sensors” from terminal) jumps to ~95 °C from 60 °C (instantly) and then returns to 63 °C and jumps again until I terminate the task. At some point, I think sensors jumps beyond critical temperature which triggers the auto reboot.

I don’t know much about how those sensors work but this may be the case. Can some of you also test this?

I assume those who experience this have laptops, I suggest you to buy a “laptop stand” which decreased the average temperature by ~8 °C for me.