Gnome Program Launcher Gone Away

My Gnome program launcher is missing. Everything else seems to work. Luckily, I made a keyboard shortcut for my terminal. How do I restore the launcher?

In looking around at other posts it was suggested that tweaking the gnome-layout-switcher might help. I ran it and received the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/gnome-layout-switcher”, line 3, in
import gi
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘gi’

What do you mean by that? Does the Activities overview open pressing Super or moving the mouse to the top left corner? Does the Applications menu open pressing Super + A (or tap Super twice) ?

Yes it shows up when I tried your suggestions. That’s refreshing. I would still like to restore it back to original if possible.

I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Sorry. I would like to restore the launcher to its state after I first installed the latest version of Manjaro, which was yesterday. Right now I have a blank desktop with no launcher until I press Super.

Which ISO did you install from?

That’s normal.

When I installed it, It had a launcher that was docked on the left side of the screen. The launcher would disappear if you moved a window over it.

The version is Manjaro-Gnome 21.0.5

The search field in activities overview is hidden by the gnome-ui-tune extension to give more space to the workspace previews. You can disable that extension to show the search field again. Note that the search still works even without showing the search field, and you did not need to click the search field to start searching in the first place. No functionality has been removed, only graphics.

That is dash-to-dock. It is now in the bottom of the screen. If you want it on the left, use the Manjaro legacy layout in the gnome-layout-switcher.

1 Like

Thanks all. The gnome-layout-switcher reset did it. I just switched over from Ubuntu and still getting the hang of it.

Well, why didn’t you say that to begin with? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Because when I started the thread I thought I didn’t have a launcher. Now I know better. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.