Manjaro kde vs kubuntu

Well, that should not be stopping you at the moment. KDE devs have been working night and day to improve Discover in the last weeks, squashed a lot of bugs, implemented new features. It’s now a fully functional program.
I get weekly RSS feeds from KDE and Discover is high on their list to be improved. I wish they would now concentrate on Kontact and Kmail. Like many others (as seen on the bugs list) I have problems with filters which should take care of moving certain mails into certain folders. They either don’t work or work double (triple). But that’s of-topic.

1 Like

…or KaOS, or openSUSE Tumbleweed or Leap KDE, or KFedora, or Netrunner, or…

Having used all of them mentioned in this thread [+ also Mint KDE & Maui; both now dying/dead] but Netrunner, IMO Manjaro KDE eats all the rest for brekkie.

2 Likes

This was my experience as well. Also, for me KDE Neon was very unstable. Lots of kwin crashes and packages I installed never turning up again, only to find they didn’t install after all, yet it’s dependencies were installed. Very strange stuff. Perhaps the software center was to blame here, but nevertheless. This was the stable version of Neon, mind you, not the developer version. Manjaro offers the most stable (up-to-date) Plasma experience ootb that I’ve tried. And the lightest, because it doesn’t come with the full bloat of KDE software installed by default.

2 Likes

Oh i disagree; for me it was very very unstable :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It was both extremely pretty, & diabolically unstable [& yes i’m also meaning the “Stable” ISO - haha]. Also, i hate hate hate Discover,

3 Likes

I have started to use Manjaro KDE. I came from Ubuntu 17.10 after being tired of the sluggish performance of GNOME Shell on my laptop when using the ‘nvidia’ proprietary drivers.

I’m forced to use those drivers my laptop only has the NVIDIA GTX 1060 GPU enabled. G-SYNC requires you to use the NVIDIA GPU as the only GPU (no Optimus). Had I known that beforehand I would have tried to get a laptop without G-SYNC.

Oh well… That said, I’m only able to adjust the backlight of my screen if I use ‘nvidia’ drivers. No luck with ‘nouveau’, even though from a performance point of view they actually work better on GNOME.

So I have still considered switching to Kubuntu, but I ended jumping ship to Manjaro KDE. On KDE the ‘nvidia’ drivers behave much better than on GNOME. Everything is buttery smooth. I’m still unsure if I’ll stay. I’ve never run a rolling release on bare-metal, even though I’m not new to Linux. I’ve used Ubuntu (or one of the official flavors) the most, but I have also used Fedora and openSUSE (not Tumbleweed, it was back in versions 12.x or 13.x) in the past.

The main issue I have with KDE Neon is that they only have versions based on Ubuntu LTS. I’d be more keen on giving it a try If they also provided versions based on the latest non-LTS release of Ubuntu. You get pretty fresh pure KDE packages but the base system gets too old for my liking.

It’s not that I really need to have the greatest and latest of every piece of software of my system up to their latest version. I do enjoy some stability and peace of mind. However, 2 years between updates is too long for me and that’s the main reason why I never even used KDE Neon outside of a VM.

On the other hand with Kubuntu you get a newer base system, but the KDE package releases are completely out of sync with Ubuntu’s release cycle. However, the Kubuntu Backports PPA (https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/backports) can help quite a lot if you want newer stuff. Notwithstanding, it’s not very consistent wether you’ll get the latest stuff or not.

For instance, for Ubuntu 17.10 you have “KDE Plasma” 5.12 and “KDE Frameworks” 5.44 (the lastest releases) available in the “Kubuntu Backports” PPA but no KDE Applications updates at all. You have to use the ones available at the official repositories, which are still stuck at “KDE Applications” 17.04. If you want to have “KDE Applications 17.12” on Ubuntu 17.10, you’d have to use the “Kubuntu Staging KDE Applications” PPA which is not meant for end-users. According to the Kubuntu Devs, the reason why those packages have never been moved to the “Kubuntu Backports” PPA is because they lack testers and therefore cannot be confident if the package quality is good enough for everyday use.

Considering all these issues, I decided to give Manjaro KDE a try. But I admit that I’m a bit afraid of my system breaking. I also use some packages that are usually not available in Ubuntu’s and Fedora’s repositories for which there are usually official third party repositories for them. In Manjaro’s case I have to rely on the AUR, which is maintained by the Arch users instead of the upstream devs. This also leaves me somewhat unease.

What do you guys feel about all these (if you care to read my wall of text :stuck_out_tongue:)?

2 Likes

I think you should stop telling us about Kubuntu and start learning more about Manjaro, Arch, and the AUR. I think you’ll feel a lot more comfortable once you do. :smiley:

regards

7 Likes

If you do break it for whatever reason create a thread and the community can help you fix it, this is the true beauty of Manjaro. Lots of users willing to help, usually those who were helped themselves at one point, passing it forward.

Just make sure you have a reasonably current Manjaro live ISO that you can boot into if any chroot “repairs” are necessary.

AUR is great, no need to fear it, just be careful and understand an AUR packages dependencies before diving in. Always read the comments on the AUR package page before installing or updating to check for any reported issues and workarounds.

If you don’t trust the AUR then Manjaro also supports snap and flatpak, not within Pamac or Octopi, but the command line interface for these is simple and intuitive.

Having said all that can’t recall the last time I had a major issue, and I’m on the unstable branch. Take the time to install and understand your system in the first place, then simply roll with the updates.

Best advice I can give for anyone migrating to Manjaro is to learn pacman like the back of your hand. Rolling release distros are constantly changing with upstream updates, so package management is a crucial skillset to managing and maintaining your system.

Taking the time to understand the Arch Linux boot process is also highly recommended … it is not rocket surgery, just takes some investment in time to learn it.

7 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

For AUR, you could open some PKGBUILD files to see.
Some are scripts which retrive the packages builded by upstream then deploy them to system.
Some build from source just using the orignal make files from the repo.
So most works are done by the upstream devs too here.

But it’s ture that AUR fails often. Then do what sueridgepipe said above.

For rolling update, espacially for Manjaro, keep some package cache for downgrade/restore old version. Some Arch pkgs have online archives, but Manjaro pkgs only provide the newest ones.

What is wrong with an Ubuntu LTS base? It works and receives long term maintenance. IMHO much better than the non-LTS versions that sometimes were good and sometimes were :shit: and in any case were depreciated after something like 9 months? Honestly, if you quarter me, none of my four pieces would go with any non-LTS Ubuntu any more.

Switching to rolling Manjaro: It has yet to break my system. Apart from very very few quirks it has been the best, no let me be clear, the absolutely-most-BESTEST-or-even-better-than-that Linux experience that I ever had. Occasionally an AUR package needs a re-install after bigger system updates. That’s it for me.

That said: disk space is cheap and partitions can be many; why not install both KDE Neon (brilliant distro IMHO, fast, lean, gets out of your way, LTS base and newest KDE stuff all the time) and Manjaro, they don’t bite each other (or is it byte each other when we talk of computers :wink: ).

3 Likes

Can you give the main advantages?

Lots of Manjaro advantages listed in here …

I know you’re trying to find the perfect solution, but if you’re not sure about Manjaro by now (after what - a month of questions?) then you really should stick to what you know. Ubuntu 18.04 will be released in 13 days, then you can make a comparison for yourself.

Anyone using Manjaro prefers Manjaro. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be using it. If you can’t see what Manjaro adds or provides over Ubuntu then you won’t see any benefit in using Manjaro, therefore you should stick to what you know - which is Ubuntu.

And at the risk of sounding harsh, it does come across that you’re taking advantage of the community’s good nature by asking a variety of increasingly trivial/finniky questions [1] that could be easily addressed by the use of a web/forum search. Given your use of an “anonymous” account here it doesn’t inspire trust, so again, I’d recommend you stick to what you know and leave everyone else here to do their thing.

[1] http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm

7 Likes

Well to be fair isnt this entire sub section about talking about other OS?
Their advantages and dis advantages?

I see no harm in asking us our opinions about other distros from time to time as by golly dont i have my own thoughts and feelings both positive and negative on other distros and Manjaro too to boot.

I myself have admitted I do get frustrated by manjaro now and then I do understand that part of the fault lays in arch and its own craziness from time to time.
And while for now I am using manjaro as for the time being it does its job for me as my main linux based OS that doesnt mean I am unwilling to try ubuntu or even linux mint again as both of those distros have been my home for a while in the past and i am willing to see what is new with them such as how the new ubuntu holds up or how mint handles newer versions of cinnamon as its doesnt get its cinnamon upstream unless you use romeo.

1 Like

I guess that most of us struggled a lot with finding the perfect distro that perfectly fit our needs. I was distrohopping a lot before ending up at the arch tree.

But, as long as it is LINUX:

1 Like

Actually its distro hopping is what made me love linux even more.
Seeing what each one offered and how it felt to me.
Granted there are distros I utterly hate with a passion (heres looking at you openSUSE) some I adore (Manjaro an Linux mint respectively) and some i actually wish had more love (heres looking at you Mageia)

Then there are the ones I personally feel that are under rated (Fedora at times)

Over hated (Ubuntu)

and just a tad over rated (Solus, I mean I like it and all but there are some flaws with it that I dont care for)

2 Likes

Plus familiarity that plays a big part as well I wish I could love Mint but to me its boring and I think the main reason is I used Ubuntu 1st Mint is just a spin yes done right. But I like you do recommend mint its the best new user Distro for many reasons,
Similary Arch was the 1st Linux distro I ever used I am familiar with it I know its quirks and its pluses so Manjaro like Mint is just not the same I don’t need A gui package manager, don’t need a CPU manager etc, its so simple with pacman, don’t need multiple kernels again so simple to install and less bloat. Its also a myth you can only install 1 kernel in arch I did have 3 flavours testing all running and entered in Grub and discovered the mainline Kernel is the best compromise.

Yes! A feeling of freedom.

You’re in the dusty Bazaar, where anything might be bought & sold. Not the stuffy Cathedral, where one size fits all. :smiley:

regards

3 Likes

See my previous post in this thread where I bullet point the advantages

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark