Manjaro KDE on MacBook Pro mid 2014

So I am having issues all day today I’m trying to get Manjaro KDE to install on my MacBook Pro mid 2014.

I wanted to just have Manjaro to be the only OS, so I wipe the drive and booted through USB. I set the partitions ie: 200mb as /boot and the rest for the main system.

After install it boots into rescue grub. Went back to Wiki and it seems I’m missing the efi on which Mac sees the drive. At this point I’m in need in how to set up the efi? Do I boot back to USB and get it from there or is there something I’m missing? Thank you in advance.—

Tips for posting

Use a “keyword search” to make sure your question has not already been asked. For example “failed to verify key” or “sound is muted”.

Make sure you include enough detail so people know what you are running. A useful command is inxi -Fxz; copy and paste the text and format as “code” (e.g. use the </> button above).

If possible, paste text rather than upload a photo. Text is easier to read, searchable, and takes up less space on the server. Please don’t upload high-resolution photos.

For more information read this post: How to provide good information in your posts

Remember to remove all of this help text before you post.

I think that partition needs to be fat32, /boot/efi and marked as esp boot flag

When I look up the options on Gparted it only shows /boot. I also placed the esp tag on it as well.

The partition table must be GPT not MBR … so, make sure you did it that way …

Thanks, so i went back can change the table to GPT. Still boots to grub rescue.

Try this from your live install media

Seem like my Mac is not seeing the hdd during boot up. When I boot to the USB and run lsblk it sees the partitions I made.

MAC hardware is made to boot from Mac OS (X), that is why in most cases is better to keep the original OS installed and make it dual boot or triple boot (by the use of Boot Camp for those that want Windows too) and then have a linux install (if there is enough space on HDD).
Many make use of refind for that.
Now i just realized you actually wiped out the Mac OS, so you will have to tweak the content of your EFI partition … is a bit different than on PC …
I will try to remember and post back …

thanks, i will continue to look online as well.

[quote]bogdancovaciu

I think that partition needs to be fat32, /boot/efi and marked as esp boot flag [/quote]

The option is there in G-parted.

I’ve done something similar with a 2010 MacBook Pro. All running well except perhaps it gets a big warmer than I would like. It is 31C here today though - Ireland!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. It might help the OP as i wasn’t quite sure how to give him an example of what to do there … Cheers!!!

Sorry I messed up the quote! Not sure how that blockquote thing works.

Cheers!!

Though I used the installer I did add the tags for the sda1: /boot/esp

Seriously dude, how do you expect anyone to be able to help you with pics like that. I couldn’t read them if I was using binoculars.

1 Like

I uploaded the picture. Do you have anything to contribute?

Does it boot now without the USB install ? Probably i would have the swap as last partition, or without it … but …

I tried with the swap as the last partition and also with no swap. I still boot into no OS.

But is the EFI partition present ? has to be fat32 - marked as /boot/efi with the esp flag on a GPT partition table …

The drive has been formatted as gpt and I have the flags set.

But the issue might be that you need the Apple firmware files in the same /boot/efi
something like this:

/boot/
├── EFI
│   ├── APPLE
│   │   ├── EXTENSIONS
│   │   │   └── Firmware.scap
│   │   └── FIRMWARE
│   │       └── MBP111_0138_B15_LOCKED.scap
│   ├── Boot
│   │   └── BOOTX64.EFI
│   └── systemd
│       └── systemd-bootx64.efi

You can find out by running from the system (if boots trough whatever method), by running this in terminal:
tree /boot/

But i don’t think you have them. That EFI partition is different on mac than on UEFI laptops because is a “Apple EFI”, and those where obliterated on your machine when you used the linux install/partition tool.
Do you still have the apple install media? Create the GPT partition table with it, do not install osx, reboot in linux install media and don’t format that EFI partition, just mark it as mentioned previously, and after make the rest of the partitions for linux.
I hope is more clear for you now.