Manjaro KDE-minimal 17.1.8

kde
community-edition

Is this KDE minimal ISO very different from the minimal profile in architect? Because I haven’t seen reports of the architect one having issues (unless not many people used it in the first place).

Only such an idea of mine :wink: editable :slight_smile:

that wallpaper look good.

but unfortunately i want to keep this edition as simple as possible, which means i will not include any theming whatsoever. but if users of this edition want to use your wallpaper, they can (of course).

I’m a strong advocate of a lean installation but I think there should be only one ISO with several options embed in a graphical, intuitive way.
With the official somewhat bloated ISOs, the not newbie-friendly architect installer and now this minimal, I see overlap and confusion.

when you choose “install desktop system” --> “install manjaro desktop” --> “kde-minimal” you are installing this iso-profile. the base system is a little different, though.

i have just (this) installed the smaller kde-minimal edition in virtualbox:

• about 470 packages
  • about 340mb of ram usage
  • you need to refresh your mirrors before pacman works
  • the installation was really fast, but configuration was very limited

i tried to install the exact same version (smaller kde-minimal edition) with architect in virtualbox:

• about 520 packages
  • about 340mb of ram usage
  • pacman works out of the box
  • the installation took much longer, but you can customize almost anything you want during installation.

i have tried to do exactly this with manjaro net/lxqt.
but unfortunately, the developer of the netinstall feature of calamares left the team and i was the only one using it. it broke completely and there is nobody maintaining it.

This is because architect doesn’t use the tweaked Packages-Root, but the full one.

My interpretation of a KDE-minimal wallpaper.

You’re the (artist) boss here :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m just trying to contribute to the diversity. :wink:

In german, deepl translate.

Du bist hier der (Künstler-) Cheff :wink: :slight_smile:

Ich versuche nur, für die Vielfalt, einen Kleingkeit bei zu tragen. :wink:

Where is the off topic button :slight_smile:

Thanks, @excalibur1234. Excellent work as usual.
Thanks, @muser. Artist par excellence!

“make your time”

@SGS, do you mind if I snag your SDDM theme? It ls pretty darn impressive. :smiley:

regards

We should make this the “Mini Me Edition” in honor of actor Verne Troyer, who passed today. Minimal but powerful.

regards

:+1:

This is fantastic, although if wireless won’t work out of the box then I think networkmanager should be the default. Very minor gripe though.

:disappointed:

KDE minimal is a little Dr Evil? Nah, KDE is not evil … its shagadelic baby!

:wink:

Would that make KDE full profile KDE Fat 8astard?

KDE Tyrion?

EDIT :

Really … b astard is on the filtered cuss list?

If I knew what the SDDM theme is :wink:
Give me a link or a picture :slight_smile:

Usually I divide everything up to PC, money, woman , yeah, in the exact order :wink:

I agree for the minimal extra packages it would be nice to have it up from the get go.

FYI, for those who’ve never built KDE from a minimal install it is a lot of work if you’ve never done it before. You’ll need to install a lot of packages you’ve never even heard of before. Not too bad once you’ve made your list of packages to install, but a pain the first time round. Just a heads up for those thinking about trying this method.Lots of work, but you’ll have a way leaner machine in the end.

Thanks for this option to all involved.

Booted from the iso file on a USB stick and it is really minimal. Typing free in a terminal gets me a footprint of 360MB.
I do agree with the previous posters, a working wifi is a necassity. The Arch page you linked to probably works but I have no idea what to do to make it work.
At the moment I am installing it onto a 2nd USB stick to try it a bit more than on the live version.
Great job @excalibur1234 , but please make wifi work as well.

here are my reasons not to do this:

wireless network connections are mostly used in laptops. for (battery life of) laptops, other packages are important, too:

but please feel free to get systemd-networkd configured with your wireless network. then, you can make suggestions what i can improve (adding a couple of config files or even one more package might be acceptable).

no network connectivity for most wireless connections unless manually configured

Could be a showstopper for a lot of people, including me (when lazy = 1).

I did install the minimal version onto a 16GB USB stick but couldn’t boot from it. Was looking at a completely black screen, no text what so ever.
Booting the live version was still okay.
Booting into my Illyria version on the hard disk also didn’t work anymore, there I was booted into a GRUB screen.
I managed to re-install en re-configure GRUB so now booting into the HDD is possible again. It saves me from having to re-install Illyria. :grinning:
Again: wifi should be working even when it involves more files to be added to the ISO. Who isn’t using wifi nowadays. It is bare essential to have wifi just as we need air to breath.

my main systems all use ethernet network connections. i am open for help in getting wireless to work - at least for as many wireless network connections as it can.

but please keep in mind that there are A LOT of network connection types out there. making (most of) them work would require networkmanager with these packages (and additional kernel modules):

networkmanager
rp-pppoe
networkmanager-dispatcher-ntpd
networkmanager-openconnect
networkmanager-openvpn
networkmanager-pptp
networkmanager-vpnc
avahi
ntp
rsync
bluez
dhclient
openresolv
dnsmasq
openssh
mobile-broadband-provider-info
modemmanager
nss-mdns
tcp-wrappers
samba
usb_modeswitch
plasma-nm

these are just too many packages, which i do not want in a minimal manjaro ISO.

there is an idea for people using wireless network connections:
try installing kde-minimal profile in manjaro architect, which uses a more complete set of base packages (including stuff important for laptops). before you are done, please make sure to install networkmanager.
if this does not work, try disabling systemd-networkd with these commands:

sudo systemctl disable systemd-networkd
sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved
sudo systemctl stop systemd-networkd
sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved