Manjaro KDE-minimal 17.1.8

kde
community-edition

I am proud to announce the first truly minimal Manjaro KDE edition: It only contains base system packages (for Arch Linux and Manjaro), a boot loader (grub), login manager (sddm), and a minimal Plasma desktop consisting of these 3 packages:

plasma-desktop 
dolphin
konsole

In fact, the installed Plasma desktop is just barely usable. The Arch Wiki contains many useful suggestions how to expand Plasma to your liking.

Because of the minimal set of packages in this release, instead of networkmanager, systemd-networkd is used which results in:

• no network connectivity for most wireless connections
  • less packages and smaller hard drive footprint
  • faster boot times in general

( If you want to install KDE-minimal with a working wireless connection (by installing networkmanager package), please do NOT INSTALL THIS ISO. Instead, install “kde-minimal” profile using Manjaro-Architect ISO. )

The live system contains many useful packages for system maintenance and repairs:

• Chroot into your existing linux installation with sudo manjaro-chroot -a, which is the official alternative to mhwd-chroot
  • Check hardware status of your hard drives using gsmartcontrol GUI
  • Partition your hard drives using gparted
  • Visit this forum or other webpages using the falkon browser
  • Burn ISO images using imagewriter

The default username and password for the live system are:

manjaro
manjaro

Download Link:

After installation, the first recommended thing to do is a mirror update:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 0 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Then, pacman can be used to enable AUR support and install any additional packages you want.

For users, who want a minimal Plasma desktop without the need to use terminals, a more comprehensive ISO is available, which contains these extra packages:

• Dolphin root actions
  • Pulseaudio
  • Additional system settings for GTK theming, systemd, login manager, and manjaro settings manager
  • Wayland session (available from the login manager)
  • Ark file archiver
  • User directories
  • Octopi package manager including AUR support

Download Link:

After installation, the first recommended thing to do is an update in Octopi. Then, Octopi can be used to install any additional packages you want from the Manjaro repository or the AUR.

What would be the use of such a minimal operating system??

:slightly_smiling_face: @excalibur1234, Can I safely speculate that the Minimal version of KDE 17.1.8 utilises way less RAM than its regular counterpart?

it should, yes.
i have not tested it, though.

the smaller version contains only 470 packages after installation. this is the lightest system i could create using kde. this also means a smaller footprint on your hard drive.

@ADepic Everyone can install the software they want, instead of downloading a lot of stuff with the iso that they end up removing.

@excalibur1234 Will this ultra minimal profile be available with Architect?

Already a fan, and I don’t use KDE! I’m a big believer in minimal installs, letting the user go from there. Results in a slim, custom system for everyone.

for me it is too much wasted effort though

there are multiple “advantages” (which depend on your point of view):

• systemd-networkd out of the box. this is the lightest network manager and should work without problems as long as you use a basic ethernet connection. avoid networkmanager calling home regularly.

• this is a quick installation using calamares of a very basic manjaro kde system. if you are typically installing manjaro kde and spend hours trying to remove unnecessary cruft (and still have a bloated system), this ISO is made for you!
    install a kde-minimal and only install additional packages when you really need them.
    if you are really hardcore about this (such as myself), you can look up the installed packages on github and remove even more packages!

• the smaller ISO is about 920mb, which is smaller than manjaro kde

• both ISOs contain many useful repair tools such as explained in my OP. i like having a spare usb thumb drive with such a manjaro live system around just in case my system blows up.

it already is.

there are different kinds of taste of linux distributions. this is obviously not your taste.
i am sure other people like it, though.

For me… I use architect to install KDE minimal, because the full version comes with way too many things I’d never use.

I hate bloat. That’s why even for Android, I immediately install a custom ROM.

you can mostly remove all the bloat, except qt of course (but that isn’t bloat)

One more advantage: If you do need all the packages that come with the full iso, they will be outdated within weeks of the iso creation, so by updating your system after installation, you will end up downloading all those packages twice.

i have tried to keep package selection to a minimum in this release. this probably results in limited hardware support.
i have tested this release in virtualbox and on my hardware. it runs fine in both cases.

if your hardware does not get supported out of the box you can suggest adding packages, which enable hardware support for you.

please acknowledge that there are some base packages missing, which might be essential to you such as:

acpid
cronie
tlp
cpupower
xorg-xinit

Why remove all the bloat after installation, having to hunt for all of the programs and configs that I’d never use, when I can install a profile that doesn’t have them, save disk space, and save data usage (because I use architect) in the first place and have a nice clean installation?

Btw, @excalibur1234, would you like a feature to trim the package list in manjaro-architect? Currently you can add custom packages but not remove them. This could be done with dialog or fzf.

in general, i like the idea.

but i think there is a related problem: most iso-profiles contain a huge list of packages, because there are no package groups used and a lot of dependencies are in there, too.
this results in a long list of packages and nobody really knows all of those packages. if i do not know a package, i am reluctant to remove it (because it might break the system).

this is the reason i tried to keep Packages-Root and Packages-Desktop files on github to a really short list. currently, there are only 17 packages or package groups.
everybody can look up 17 package descriptions and decide, whether (s)he needs those packages.

in contrast, manjaro bspwm contains almost 200 packages in its Packages-Root and Packages-Desktop files.

Pacui style window for package information in fzf? That should make choices easier.

Personally, I see 3 uses for package removal:

1. Remove a package with old signature so you can get your system installed and readd the package later when it is fixed.
  2. Change the browser in the system. Why install Firefox if you use going to use chromium?
  3. Make a minimalist installation.

Number 3 is probably the least prominent, and the user persuing should probably already know what they are doing.

@excalibur1234

Will this be added on the downloads/Get Manjaro page?

i do not know. this depends on phil.

but currently i do not expect an addition to the community downloads page, because of the simple reason that i have not included a screenshot in the OP.
phil usually adds community edition to the downloads page including a screenshot. he is too busy to create screenshots himself, though.

because manjaro kde-minimal is not aimed at the general public, but at experienced users, who want to build their system up from a minimal base, i think adding manjaro kde-minimal to the downloads page is currently a bad idea.
also, we should find out, whether manjaro kde-minimal actually works on most systems or not before advertising it as an exemplary manjaro community edition.