Manjaro-KDE 19.0-pre2 (testing branch)

yep it's cleaner and more modern without the square taskbar highlights

Yes, I thought that, too. I also always switch it to left in xfce-whiskermenu, where funnily enough the default is also to have the favourites on the right...:thinking:

1 Like

Awesome, thank you! I will try it a little later :+1:
Looking great!

Will the KDE version have Nvidia 440 Prime support too, or just Gnome?

It doesn't depend on flavour. Gnome, Plasma, XFCE - no matter.

Thank you!

Hi. Very nice theme. I like it a lot. I was using Breeze instead of Breath, because I didn't like some stuff like:

• Changed upstream application icons in icon theme,
  • Active titlebar had the same color as inactive,
  • Icon only taskbar looked cluttered...

Breath2 fixes almost everything I didn't like about original Breath, so I'm sticking to Breath2 :slight_smile:

Only one complain. There is too much transparency for me and some texts are not legible. For example krunner. Category names and results descriptions are hard to read. Is there any way, I could change transparency?

There are two places that deal with transparency:

Both have some options to tinker with.

1 Like

But specifically this transparency reduction can be achieved only through editing desktoptheme svgs directly...

So much for super-customizable de :upside_down_face:

Well actually there is also https://github.com/Zren/breeze-alphablack (which can be used with Breeze or AlphaBlack themes)

Probably it's a good idea to integrate "AlphaBlack Control" Widget with Breath2, for extra customization out of the box.

but its not possible if theme is installed in /usr
directory to modify
translucency using alphablack widget

1 Like

the Breath2 light version is better in that respect but of course it may not be to your taste. The problem is with blur level, not transparency.

Try using the Force Blur Kwin script, I use that for Yakuake as pictured above.

Well i wouldn't go that far with 'impossible', but it's not practical for sure...

Is there any ongoing bug-tracker ticket for KDE Plasma panel / widget / popups transparency controls btw?
I've seen couple of dead ones lately, but devs don't seem to care a lot about them...

1 Like

Everything is possible actually :grin:
If you take a look in /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/
they offer the translucent and opaque variants already (of course this has also to do with compositing and blur effect if is enabled or disabled). It might be the case that soon this will be part of some sort of option that will also go hand in hand with the color-scheme used. At least this is what i can make of it. Some details about the structure
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma5/ThemeDetails#Theme_Location.2C_Structure_and_Definition

In KDE Plasma GIT version the Breath Color is shown for following the color-scheme

See the corner color wheel ...

My speculation is that soon will not be needed to have custom themes, as all will be possible to define either trough a fixed color, or to follow the general color-scheme (in the case people want a different color between the panel and the windows)

Then the next step is to use the Icon Set/theme without the use of special icons inside the Plasma Style theme, but the ones the user choose. All this is speculation from my part, but it would make more sense.
The only issue is that all icons need to be properly done, have the CSS style defined inside the svg
as described here
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma5/ThemeDetails

So, the ideal is to follow closely the way KDE Plasma creates themes, and only use minimum of modifications.

No clue, need to investigate more on this.

2 Likes

Hopefully!

If that would be me, even with current structure i would do something like that:
desktoptheme/breeze-light/metadata.desktop

[Panel]
color=236,236,236
opacity=0.5
shadowColor=0,0,0
shadowOpacity=0

[Widgets]
color=236,236,236
opacity=0.5
shadowColor=0,0,0
shadowOpacity=0

And would use more straightforward structure of panel's svgs...

Beats me why they haven't done it prior to 2020, probably because using variables is technically outside of svg / svgz, but there are ways around it using currentColor / external css definitions etc...
Which is what breeze-alphablack is doing effectively through python and custom svg templates with variables, based on Breeze original theme...

For KDE devs it should be really easy to implement, considering way more complex stuff they have already done :thinking:

I agree, it's just really hard right now to match colors / transparency even through svg editing sometimes, even if you use exactly same values as for color scheme windows it's always a little off...

I'm trying to follow up on all this stuff, other than Plasma panels it's really easy to generate custom themes even on a fly with bash script, based on default ones.

But plasma is real pain for now, unless you change files :smiley:

Please inform me if you'll find something on that matter - i'm having hard time finding anything in their phabricator :woozy_face:

In KDE Plasma GIT version the Breath Color is shown for following the color-scheme

Oh yeah, i've seen this and just tested in git iso - seems to work!

So it somewhat solves color problem (unless you want panel to be different color, which still would require some additional color-scheme entry), but still long way for opacity control :slight_smile:

Also again, without having additional options for specific colors control there might be problems, like when your color-scheme have lesser text/background contrast ratio and it's ok in programs, but panel is heavily transparent and you would want panel icons / text to be full white or full black to regain readability...

colour 2 was too dark and the palettes needed faint and colour putting the right way round on some others. Colours 5-8 are standard Breeze profile ones.

[Background]
Color=30,34,41

[BackgroundFaint]
Color=46,52,57

[BackgroundIntense]
Color=13,15,17

[Color0]
Color=219,165,0

[Color0Faint]
Color=189,142,0

[Color0Intense]
Color=249,190,1

[Color1]
Color=167,126,111

[Color1Faint]
Color=150,114,100

[Color1Intense]
Color=200,151,133

[Color2]
Color=68,133,58

[Color2Faint]
Color=50,100,44

[Color2Intense]
Color=85,166,73

[Color3]
Color=200,103,28

[Color3Faint]
Color=170,87,24

[Color3Intense]
Color=237,125,34

[Color4]
Color=52,152,219

[Color4Faint]
Color=52,152,219

[Color4Intense]
Color=126,178,230

[Color5]
Color=91,44,112

[Color5Faint]
Color=91,44,112

[Color5Intense]
Color=155,89,182

[Color6]
Color=140,208,211

[Color6Faint]
Color=140,208,211

[Color6Intense]
Color=147,224,227

[Color7]
Color=220,220,204

[Color7Faint]
Color=220,220,204

[Color7Intense]
Color=255,255,255

[Foreground]
Color=23,168,139

[ForegroundFaint]
Color=20,150,120

[ForegroundIntense]
Color=0,188,150

[General]
Blur=false
ColorRandomization=false
Description=Breath2-Beta
Opacity=1
Wallpaper=

I will check this upgrade out a bit later, I just got Manjaro KDE Plasma 18 loaded on my HP Laptop, which was a challenge because I did not fully understand how to burn a live DVD/CD or a Live USB. You can't just download it directly to the USB drive and then stick it into or run it from the DVD/CD drive or USB stick. There are files that need to be unzipped and then burned to the DVD/CD or copied to the USB Stick. Among other steps that have to be taken to do the installation properly. Also after I got the OS to successfully load on the HDD I had another problem with the wi-fi connection. Thanks to the community there was a fix for the Wi-fi problem. I also by successfully loading Manjaro OS on to my HP laptop I was able to reset the passwords and disable some passwords. I don't take my laptops anywhere and they are secure in my den, I don't share my Laptop with anyone else so I have a very low risk of theft of passwords through human engineering. So it was critical that some passwords were disabled. So I am just getting to know Manjaro and it is a bit too soon for me to upgrade as of yet to the newest iteration of Manjaro.

once installed, you don't need to reinstall. it's a rolling distribution so if it's working correctly now you are done :wink:

The list of new theme packages is in post #4 if you want to install them and try them out

I would suggest

[Background]
Color=30,37,41

which is just slightly different and matches the default background :wink:

I've applied that, what about switching colour 2 and 4 as well? I'm 50/50 on that but it would possibly fit the theme better

EDIT - done the switch it fits much better, you can see it with glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

[Background]
Color=30,34,41

[BackgroundFaint]
Color=46,52,57

[BackgroundIntense]
Color=13,15,17

[Color0]
Color=219,165,0

[Color0Faint]
Color=189,142,0

[Color0Intense]
Color=249,190,1

[Color1]
Color=200,103,28

[Color1Faint]
Color=170,87,24

[Color1Intense]
Color=237,125,34

[Color2]
Color=68,133,58

[Color2Faint]
Color=50,100,44

[Color2Intense]
Color=85,166,73

[Color3]
Color=167,126,111

[Color3Faint]
Color=150,114,100

[Color3Intense]
Color=200,151,133

[Color4]
Color=52,152,219

[Color4Faint]
Color=52,152,219

[Color4Intense]
Color=126,178,230

[Color5]
Color=91,44,112

[Color5Faint]
Color=91,44,112

[Color5Intense]
Color=155,89,182

[Color6]
Color=140,208,211

[Color6Faint]
Color=140,208,211

[Color6Intense]
Color=147,224,227

[Color7]
Color=220,220,204

[Color7Faint]
Color=220,220,204

[Color7Intense]
Color=255,255,255

[Foreground]
Color=23,168,139

[ForegroundFaint]
Color=20,150,120

[ForegroundIntense]
Color=0,188,150

[General]
Blur=false
ColorRandomization=false
Description=Breath2-Beta
Opacity=1
Wallpaper=

Manjaro provides instructions on their website.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Burn_an_ISO_File

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by