Manjaro KDE 17.0 (Beta2)

development
iso
gellivara

Manjaro Fringilla was a great release, however we are already working on our next release, called “Gellivara”.

With this we also change some things in our release cycle:

In the past we have used numbered versions. Currently we are using versions based on the release target month which, on a rolling release, might point to a monthly based versioning of our install media. However, they only reflect the status of our tools and installer. Also this creates the impression of some of our community releases being newer than the core releases, when in fact they are using the same base and were simply published on a later date.

Depending on the development we might release three major sets of install media with new features. If we find some issues in the original install media, we may update them for fixing bugs, which will then be a point release of the same series. Also we will discuss if we change the code name of the releases this year, or keep one for the whole year.

So what will be the features of the new release series:

• We updated the stock kernel to linux49 4.9 LTS - Done with Alpha1
  • We will update the Xorg-Stack to v1.19 series - Done with Beta1
  • We will enhance and improve Luks and LVM support in CAL - Partly done with CAL v3.0
  • We will enhance and improve our Manjaro Tools & Profiles - Ongoing within v0.14 branch
  • We will enhance and improve our MHWD and MSM - Almost completed for Xorg 1.19
  • We will update our themes - Still in progress

Changes since Beta1 release:

• Plasma 5.9.0
  • Mesa 13.0.4
  • Manjaro Settings-Manager 0.5.0
  • Network Manager 1.6.0
  • Octopi 0.8.7
  • QT 5.8.0
  • [CAL] fix for an issue in the users module, which could break login if the chosen password had non-Latin1 characters
  • [CAL] proper exception handling in the networkcfg module
  • [CAL] improved autologin configuration handling for sddm.

Changes since Alpha releases:

• fixes for EFI installation
  • gcc updated to v6.3.1
  • xorg-stack v1.19
  • KDE Apps v16.12.1
  • KDE Framework v5.30
  • Calamares 3.0 includes countless fixes and improvements to the core application and to the modules, as well as an all new PythonQt-based module interface. The PythonQt interface is optional, and allows module developers to create view modules in Python with Qt.

For those, who already want to test our latest install media, you can find them here.

Manjaro XFCE 17.0 (Beta2)
Calamares cannot install on SSD LV as parallel install next to Fedora
[JWM] Acer Chromebook Boot Loop

Hello again, in case it is worth commenting that I am in beta 2 and still not boot the wifi.

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ inxi -F
System: Host: manjaro Kernel: 4.9.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.9.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K501UQ v: 1.0
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K501UQ v: 1.0
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: K501UQ.202 date: 04/26/2016
Battery BAT0: charge: 6.4 Wh 13.5% condition: 47.4/48.3 Wh (98%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-6500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 399 MHz 2: 399 MHz 3: 399 MHz
4: 1127 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520
Card-2: NVIDIA Device 179c
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: intel
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.4
Audio: Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.7-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 34:97:f6:73:fb:b7
Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac: 0a:bb:c3:6c:e1:55
Drives: HDD Total Size: NA (-)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Fit size: 8.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 5.8G used: 69M (2%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 30.5C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes: 172 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 865.0/7849.8MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

[sergi@sergi-kde ~]$ dmesg | grep 7265
[ 6.967723] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode failed with error -2
[ 6.967771] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-25.ucode failed with error -2
[ 6.967806] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode failed with error -2
[ 6.967835] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-23.ucode failed with error -2
[ 7.260152] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Detected Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC 7265, REV=0x210

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ dmesg | grep 7265D
[ 11.469423] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode failed with error -2
[ 11.469458] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-25.ucode failed with error -2
[ 11.469490] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode failed with error -2
[ 11.469519] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-23.ucode failed with error -2

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ modinfo iwlwifi | grep iwlwifi
filename: /lib/modules/4.9.7-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko.gz
firmware: iwlwifi-100-5.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-135-6.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-105-6.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-2000-6.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2b-IWL6000G2B_UCODE_API_MAX.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6050-5.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-7265-17.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-3168-26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-8000C–26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-9000-pu-a0-lc-a0–26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-9260-th-a0-jf-a0–26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-9000-pu-a0-jf-a0–26.ucode
firmware: iwlwifi-Qu-a0-jf-b0–26.ucode
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

[sergi@sergi-kde ~]$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
1: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: no
2: asus-bluetooth: Bluetooth
3: hci0: Bluetooth

Thanks for the work Philm.

Thanks, it installed very easily. I did a clean install on HW, taking pretty much all the defaults. I think the single-click behavior is back. I noticed during the slide show that there was a world map with the old four-polygon Manjaro logo.

Installation successfully completed on a VBox VM, installed system stable and running well, but there were a few issues.

This error is still occurring at boot OOTB for all fresh installs, I reported it in Alpha and Beta 1, is this not something that will be fixed? Should I stop reporting it?

ERROR: resume: no device specified for hibernation

I assume this has something to do with resume=UUID=xxxxxx in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

The Calmares users module seems to be included / excluded with each new ISO build. FWIW I think the current single page user creation page is the way to go, no need for a CRUD style module for managing the creation of multiple users during installation.

Yep, makes the Calmares partition manager modules very annoying to use in Live environment. It is also back by default on the installed system, not sure if this is by design or a regression.

Maybe have a toggle checkbox on the welcome screen for users to choose their mouse click behaviour when booting into a Live environment.

Manjaro Settings Manager remains single click, even after Plasma is changed to default double click mouse functionality. This should behave according to Plasma mouse settings.

SDDM login screen, Andromeda and Maia themes are gone. Deprication or omission?

The Systemd administration module is missing from System Settings.

System Setting Manager on the Live environment crashed everytime I clicked on All Settings at the top of the window. It seemed stable for me in the subsequent installed environment, hasn’t crashed once yet.

Within the new Live environment, any chance of adding Konsole launcher to the bottom panel by default?

Finally, I keep getting fresh aired on this question… where are all the KDE wallpaper images that used to be installed by default? Do these now need to be installed explicitly post installation, or are they not available at all?

i have just written the 64bit ISO image to a usb stick and booted from it.
it looks good!

but i have noticed a possible bug:
when my computer boot from the usb stick, i have the choice between booting manjaro or manjaro with non-free drivers. i can also choose “boot from hard disk”, but it does not work! instead of booting from my hard disk, it keeps booting from the usb stick.

was this bug introduced with the current changes in syslinux?

I got that once with Beta2, in the installed environment, but maybe four times with Beta1. I assume I made changes in a different sequence:

• Workspace Theme Cursor Oxygen Yellow
  • Mouse Single Click enabled (I think this was set that way, matching upstream default)
  • Trackpad mouse click emulation enabled
  • Notification Plasma Login Chime
  • Screen Locking Never

I never lost work, as I hit apply before hitting All Settings.

We are working on the issue. If the result is what we need, I’ll release a second revision of beta2.

Second revision is now online. Fixes several issues in CAL.

Which ones, so we can specifically test them.

Patches can be seen here.

i don’t know what that means, not a developer.

Following CAL fixes got added:

Else we have updated packages and additional packages added.

manjaro live kde 17 beta2-r2 boots to tty1 instead gui

Me too, with both free and non-free drivers.

It boots to TTY, because sddm.service is not enabled. If you run
sudo systemctl start sddm
you get the GUI. Just tested.

Beta2-R2 was a bit of a disaster. Lots of issues. Won’t boot. No Oxygen.

First there was sddm not enabled at startup, have to manually start it as in @eugen-b post above. Sloppy.

Same hibernation boot error I reported back in Alpha 1.

Single click still enabled by default. This was fixed in a previous Gellivara, but has regressed.

Themes have been removed in this ISO, please put Oxygen back. If you are going to remove Maia, Maia Dark and Andromeda please announce this and don’t just remove stuff willy nilly. We are Manjaro, not GNOME.

System Settings -> Look and Feel only have Breath and Breeze / Dark themes available. Where is Oxygen?

System Settings -> Cursor Themes Oxygen cursors are missing.

System Settings -> Splash Screen Theme is missing Oxygen.

System Settings - Application Style -> Widget Style is missing Oxygen

System Settings - Application Style -> Window Decorations is missing Oxygen

Please put Oxygen back.

Only thing that looks like it was fixed was Systemd icon back in system settings.

I see you like Oxygen very much. But it IS wasted space on a minimal test iso. Plus the default theme for Manjaro KDE 17.0 is going to be Breath, with Breeze cursor.

is it possible t add a printer to kde unstable via add printer but I cant find it

That is fine for the Live environment, I can live with that.

Having to manually install Oxygen post installation to escape modern ugly flat themes should not be necessary. Most new users won’t even know of its existence, it should be installed by default.

Wasted space? The theme is 20MB.

Well, what about the Maia theme, Adromeda theme, Arc themes? What about all the other themes? Shouldn’t they be installed by default also then? Because new users won’t know of them otherwise.