Manjaro KDE 17.0 (Beta1)

development
iso
gellivara

Manjaro Fringilla was a great release, however we are already working on our next release, called “Gellivara”.

With this we also change some things in our release cycle:

In the past we have used numbered versions. Currently we are using versions based on the release target month which, on a rolling release, might point to a monthly based versioning of our install media. However, they only reflect the status of our tools and installer. Also this creates the impression of some of our community releases being newer than the core releases, when in fact they are using the same base and were simply published on a later date.

Depending on the development we might release three major sets of install media with new features. If we find some issues in the original install media, we may update them for fixing bugs, which will then be a point release of the same series. Also we will discuss if we change the code name of the releases this year, or keep one for the whole year.

So what will be the features of the new release series:

• We updated the stock kernel to linux49 4.9 LTS - Done with Alpha1
  • We will update the Xorg-Stack to v1.19 series - Done with Beta1
  • We will enhance and improve Luks and LVM support in CAL - Partly done with CAL v3.0
  • We will enhance and improve our Manjaro Tools & Profiles - Ongoing within v0.14 branch
  • We will enhance and improve our MHWD and MSM - Almost completed for Xorg 1.19
  • We will update our themes - Still in progress

Changes since Alpha releases:

• fixes for EFI installation
  • gcc updated to v6.3.1
  • xorg-stack v1.19
  • KDE Apps v16.12.1
  • KDE Framework v5.30
  • Calamares 3.0 includes countless fixes and improvements to the core application and to the modules, as well as an all new PythonQt-based module interface. The PythonQt interface is optional, and allows module developers to create view modules in Python with Qt.

For those, who already want to test our latest install media, you can find them here.

Manjaro 16.10.3 does not support Intel Kaby Lake with HD 520 Graphics

welcome back @philm :slight_smile:

Will the final non-beta release include the brand new plasma 5.9 due to be released at the end of January?

@Beherit: we are a rolling release. With Gellivara we adopted Calamares v3.x installer series. In regard of the KDE we will follow Archlinux. If they release v5.9 in time, the ISO might feature it. However there might be also some effort to support v5.8 LTS of KDE.

I installed the Alpha version, now the Beta on an old USB drive through VBox.

Comments on the OOTB KDE.

Getting this error on boot OOTB

ERROR: resume: no device specified for hibernation

I assume this has something to do with resume=UUID=xxxxxx in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. This should be fixed.

Install completed successfully, Breath looks great.

System Settings GUI has crashed multiiple times.

Within System Settings -> Icons the Oxygen Icons are missing, I’m assuming this is by accidental omission and not by design. I setup KDE visually to use Oxygen, but because the Oxygen icons were missing the GUI had blanks spaces where the icons should have been. I’ve migrated back to Breath to remedy. Please include Oxygen icons.

Settings up partitions manually within Calmares I found really annoying as selecting an existing partition by clicking on it automatically launches the edit partition window. What is the point of the create, edit and delete buttons if you cannot select a partition with a single click? To delete a partition you have to click on it, close the edit window that pops up, then delete it. IMO double click on a partition should launch the window, single click should simply select.

Another issue I had manually configuring partitions is with the edit partition window. It automatically defaults to keep existing data, but when I change it to format partition, save it and open it again this choice is not persisting and has to be re-selected.

User creation has changed from Alpha to Beta, this is good. Much better.

Any chance of including a Breath themed SDDM login screen?

Where did all the wallpapers go? Do these have to be separately installed now?

Well, I can’t reproduce this issue with our XFCE edition.There it works as it should. Single-click selects and double-click opens the edit/create dialog.

Is this different to the KDE edition? KDE has a single click setting, maybe this is set by default in the Live ISO.

It’s maybe related yes… as after installing plasma single click is always the default.
But I don’t remember to had this when I installed on my New laptop with 16.10.3.

Hmm, working on some fixes now. Regarding single-click, this might help …

i got too on xfcee about hibernation

[Update]:
So yes, as above, I noticed this behaviour too, when I installed KDE 16.10.3 Live iso, [bare-metal], default, using the manual partition editor within Calamares, a few days ago.
It’s a bit awkward to use.

maybe I did not pay attention. I also used manual partitioning. it was not so long ago… but I can’t remember. maybe I changed the settings before to launch calamares. my memory is really bad. :wink:

I “Updated” my above post to reflect @sueridgepipe findings, and it’ the same behaviour as in 16.10.3 Live iso.

I’ve re-uploaded Beta1 and fixed the following:

• KDE defaults now to double-click
  • Breath SDDM theme was added
  • Calamares got some fixes and the new users module got readded
  • Oxygen icons got added

Please test again and give feedback.

nope, that didn’t make a difference.

Regarding:

I have also seen this regular behaviour from Calamares when using it to “manually” partition and install Cinnamon-16.10.3.,…, so, it’s not just KDE-17-beta1.
The Calamares partiion editor is not as robust as say, KDE’s “partitionmanager”, or even “gparted”,
Example, in calamares <- “right-clicking” on the unallocated space does NOT bring up a handy selection to create, edit, delete partitions,… like the other gui-partition managers mentioned above.

That said, that’s just the way that Calamares has been, for awhile now.

• just saw the below now, may try again.

Thanks.

my bad, I thought I had previously saved those changes to /etc/xdg/kdegloals before but no.
Calameres works as it should, It’s fine.
Well, at least the 'ole manjaro sourceforge got a few more iso downloads out of me. :wink:

I’ve got 2 things I noticed while using the beta.
I installed it in a VM and during install I selected autologin but this does not work. When I boot into the installed distro I need to type my password.
KDE system-settings crashes when changing (or just opening and closing) Application style in Appearance.
Will continue testing.

Since I re-uploaded beta1 you may need to post the exact package version of Calamares used during your effort installing it on VM.

Thanks Phil, in that case I will re-download and start over with the VM. Maybe the problems are gone already.
Oops, it wasn’t even a beta yet, it was the: manjaro-kde-17.0-alpha2-unstable-x86_64.iso.
Do you know something has changed since then on the issues I reported?

I just tested the latest beta1 build and autologin was fine:

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo -E calamares -d
21:09:55 [1]: Calamares version: 3.0.0.r3010.3725c46a 
Translation: Calamares: Using system locale: "en_US"
22:15:30 [0]: Starting job "Create user johnd" 
22:15:30 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-c15ekm0r", "groupadd", "autologin") 
22:15:30 [0]: Finished. Exit code: 0 
22:15:30 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-c15ekm0r", "useradd", "-m", "-s", "/bin/bash", "-U", "-c", "John Doe", "johnd") 
22:15:30 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-c15ekm0r", "usermod", "-aG", "video,power,disk,storage,optical,network,lp,scanner,wheel,autologin", "johnd") 
22:15:30 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-c15ekm0r", "chown", "-R", "johnd:johnd", "/home/johnd") 
22:15:30 [0]: Starting job "Set password for user johnd" 
22:15:30 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-c15ekm0r", "usermod", "-p", "$6$johnd$PhECmDG1iSyT0nKsOQvtNjtTI1xae6m0ehl8wA8saO6lAlqQUbU7tkBALXHDCf1UqimfFEWhc38YCK54RSj0m/", "johnd") 
22:15:30 [0]: Starting job "Set hostname johnd-pc" 
22:15:30 [0]: Starting job "Set password for user root" 
22:15:30 [0]: Running "chroot" ("/tmp/calamares-root-c15ekm0r", "usermod", "-p", "$6$root$c/mAZLsNAM8cP.bLjkqd2L0csreyOeSzO9VxUVFs3MvvhLkiW5lSh4Vls8rlCHmWbDQKL9SRDBpS1ltKNlZ3e1", "root") 
22:15:31 [0]: Finished. Exit code: 0 
22:15:31 [0]: Starting job "displaymanager" 
22:15:31 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "slim selected but not installed" 
22:15:31 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "lightdm selected but not installed" 
22:15:31 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "gdm selected but not installed" 
22:15:31 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "mdm selected but not installed" 
22:15:31 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "lxdm selected but not installed" 
22:15:31 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "Setting up autologin for user johnd."