Pacman replace package causes conflict

Hi all,
I have not upgraded my system for an extended period and have been trying to do so. When I do pacman -Syu it asks whether I want to replace a number of packages, like this:

:: Replace kcontacts with extra/kcontacts5? [Y/n] Y

When I do agree to them the installation fails, suggesting that the replacement would break dependency of another package.

:: removing kcontacts breaks dependency 'kcontacts' required by kpeoplevcard

Below are my full logs of the errors:

:: removing kcontacts breaks dependency 'kcontacts' required bykpeoplevcard
:: removing kitemmodels breaks dependency 'kitemmodels' required bymanjaro-settings-manager
:: removing kauth breaks dependency 'kauth' required bymanjaro-settings-manager
:: removing kcoreaddons breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required bymanjaro-settings-manager
:: removing kcmutils breaks dependency 'kcmutils' required bymanjaro-settings-manager-kcm
:: removing kconfigwidgets breaks dependency 'kconfigwidgets' required bymanjaro-settings-manager-kcm
:: removing knotifications breaks dependency 'knotifications' required bymanjaro-settings-manager-knotifier
:: removing knotifications breaks dependency 'knotifications' required bypamac-tray-icon-plasma
:: removing plasma-framework breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required bysddm-breath-theme
:: removing kauth breaks dependency 'kauth' required bysystemd-kcm
:: removing kconfigwidgets breaks dependency 'kconfigwidgets' required bysystemd-kcm
:: removing kcoreaddons breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required bysystemd-kcm
:: removing ki18n breaks dependency 'ki18n' required bysystemd-kcm
:: removing kio breaks dependency 'kio' required bysystemd-kcm
:: removing kwidgetsaddons breaks dependency 'kwidgetsaddons' required bysystemd-kcm

I am a bit clueless on what to do, as they seem like system packages and removing them might be risky. How should I fix this?

Thank you.

PS: The logs look a bit weird because I use manjaro in a different language and i translated it into English but messed up

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

Just run… :point_down:

pacman -Syuu

It will take care of the kpeoplevcard issue.

It generally boils down to removing the old, deprecated and orphaned packages and probably some of the aur stuff too. Start with the orphans

pacman -Qdt

will give you a list of everything that can be removed.
And then maybe install some default theme, not from aur and remove this too.

And if you search kpeoplevcard you will see about a dosen similar topics.

1 Like

And after the update please look for /etc/**/*.pacnew files :wink:

1 Like

Thank you guys for your help, I’m able to get it working now! :smile:
For those who have the same issue it’s because kpeoplevcard has had an accidental update and had to be downgraded.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.